Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ultimate Adventuring
04-09-2014, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:03 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
Ultimate Adventuring
I'm looking for maybe a better name for this so please put up some suggestions. This is intended for Competitive play. I haven't played a Co-op yet so I don't know how it would apply there.

When two or more players are entering an Adventure at the same time they attempt to pass the same Danger at the same time. Instead of the first player in turn order getting a first crack, and having perhaps a leg-up in reaching the Artifact first, two or more Adventurers could conceivably reach the Artifact at the same time. You can see them cinematically both diving for the chalice or horn or whatever and grabbing it at the same time.

If both players pass the first Danger either or both can decide to camp down (maybe by a secret ballet, ie; reveal a die in your left hand means camp down, in your right hand means press on, revealed simultaneously). If one should camp down and the other press on, or if one should fail and go to cliffhanger, their adventures become split from that point on. If they both find themselves camped down or on a cliffhanger in the future (with the same number of Danger tokens) they will have caught each other and become joined into the same adventure again. If the number of Danger tokens is different they each continue on their own adventure. If they each pass their own cliffhanger they join on the next Danger card.

The players may pass any joint Danger in different manners of their own choosing. One may make a skill test (either one if there is an option) and one may make the same test or the other, or go to a fight. As long as they both pass the Danger they stay together in the Adventure.

I haven't yet figured out how to resolve a tie for the Artifact - but I think the idea of the neck and neck race is exciting enough to push on with this. (I'm thinking some kind of a skill roll-off where the winner gets the Artifact (with full value at sale) and the loser receives an instant payment of half Fortune rounded down (a minority share). Maybe each Hero gets a die for each wound they have remaining? Or a certain number of dice for the Glory they earned in the Adventure?

Looking for ideas and comments. Feel free.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply