Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A question or two for those who've played it...
11-05-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: A question or two for those who've played it...
(11-05-2014 03:20 PM)Raynor Wrote:  I hear ya. I personally have purchased every Flying Frog game out there but currently only own AToE, FanG, and Dark Gothic.

None of the Alien games really did anything for me. I enjoyed demoing IfOS at Gencon but once we actually had a copy it didn't have much replayability. We had one friend who would win every game he ever played so it just got old. I'm sure we would have pushed through if the theme had been awesome but Aliens aren't my favorite theme so I gave the game away to the guy who always won and then he ended up selling it a year later because no one would play with him.

I also gave away my copy of LNoE to my old room mate, but to him with the promise that if he decided to get rid of it he'd give it back. He's not yet married and theoretically he could host more games, though that didn't exactly turn out.

A BIG part of my excitement with Shadows of Brimstone was the fact that it was a Kickstarter. I had never kickstarted anything before and we had neighbors who kickstarted Zombiecide so I felt pretty sad that I hadn't been in on something so cool. Then Flying Frog, my personal favorite gaming company, comes out with a kickstarter it just seemed like the time to jump on a kickstarter and get all that special stuff. We did minecart, spent my first commission check on it from my last sales job and the guy I gave LNoE to went halfsies on it with me.

For me the real key is theme. I have played games like Ticket to Ride where the theme is secondary to the mechanics. All the Flying Frog games ooze theme though, and in my experience (as with the alien games) if you don't like the theme of the game you won't stick around for very long. A Touch oF evil - monks, monsters on the country side, - love it. Fortune and Glory - Indiana Jones the board game?! Love it! Last Night On Earth - Zombies in a small town? Love it! Invasion from outerspace - Circus Freaks vs aliens.... nah ... nope.... no thanks.

So I think the real question isn't whether you like Dungeon Crawls but more like Do you like Cthulu games like Arkham Horror and do you like Cowboys and indians. If you like either then give it a try. If you like both then just buy a copy already Zombie17. (I definitely like both)

Ha! Arkham's my favourite game of all, actually, although I can never find anyone to play it with so I mostly do solo. I still haven't changed my mind about SoB, but bizarrely I'm now thinking of getting FanG, despite saying before that I wouldn't! Such are the powers of persuasion. Maybe if I saw a SoB playthrough by somebody a bit more...decisive, shall we say, than the Lonesome Gamer, it might look more appealing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply