Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using discard pile from board
09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Using discard pile from board
My son and I played a couple of games last weekend for the first time. We didn't use any of the board's abilities to pull specific cards from the discard pile. How often do you use the board?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2011, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2011 11:26 PM by Pred.)
RE: Using discard pile from board
how often do you use the board?

the question is a bit out of context, are you asking how often do you use the boards "special pick up" abilitys?

If so, than I use them every chance I get if there's something in the discard pile I might want or need. Its alot easier going for the sure thing out of the discard pile than randomly pulling an unknown from the Hero Pile.

How did you and your Son like it?

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
09-13-2011, 11:32 PM
We liked it a lot. I played the zombies in Die Zombies Die! and my son played the zombies in Escape in the Truck. I won both, although I think I got an unfair advantage because we thought the gas can was placed on the board automatically at the gas station.

We are already looking at expansion packs... Which means we will probably play again.
09-13-2011, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2011 11:36 PM by abomination.)
My wife and I have played games where you can't use the pick option at all, this seems to make the game lean more towards the zombies winning.being able to use the pickup abilities in my experience helps to balance the game more evenly.

I just puchased the growing hunger expansion and I highly recommend it.

Eating brains and taking names.
09-13-2011, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2011 11:45 PM by Pred.)
well being that when I play I let the zombie player pick the boards, me and my wife usually pick the boards with the worst pick up options. But there not really all bad (except the school), but we try to avoid giving each other the Gun Shop board piece unless its a scenario where you dont really have much time to hunker down there, or if its a scenario that already favors the Zombie player, then we will allow it to be on board.
Then again we sometimes pick them randomly like your supposed to do. I don't think we have played a game with out the special pick ups except for my scenario that I posted up for every one (yeah I dont think I posted that there are no special pick ups on my scenario except the ones I stated in the rule section)(Ill go fix that now)

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
09-13-2011, 11:52 PM
It all depends on what's on the board. Holing yourself up in a spot where you can constant get a gun if you lose it can be a good survival strategy in the short term, and if you're looking for gasoline being in the garage is definitely handy as long as you have it in your discard pile.
09-14-2011, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011 05:53 PM by vikinglad.)
I like the hangar pickup, because you lose it when you use it. The signal flare is a really powerful weapon, but it is only one shot. Having the hangar in play makes it even better. Also, who doesn't love running to the hospital for some health? I have also used the church to help Father Joe reclaim his faith. The library (from Growing Hunger expansion) is cool because you can take an event; great if you are full of items already.

BTW, welcome to our festering morgue, newcomer. Zombie13
09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the comments. I think part of the reason we didn't use the discard pile (especially in the second scenario) is that my players were primarily in buildings searching for the keys to the truck, even when zombies were in the same square trying to eat them. Luckily my son wasn't rolling very well. I assume that in other scenarios, we'll be using the discard pile more.
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
The discard pile and the special searches can make the difference between victory and defeat for the heroes in some scenarios. Being able to use the gun shop or the police station to pick up a shotgun after losing it is extremely helpful, and, as vikinglad mentioned, using the church to pick up a lost faith card helps Father Joseph tremendously.

The special pickups aren't absolutely essential, by any means, but they definitely give an edge when they're available.
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
The scenario's will definitely vary on how much you will use this. any time you have to searh for items like you stated before it becomes less important.

Eating brains and taking names.