Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Varnish Issues with Flying Frog minis
02-25-2022, 12:04 AM
Question Varnish Issues with Flying Frog minis
Does anyone have a varnish to seal their Flying Frog minis they recommend? I used Army Painter Matte and it has worked great with all my CMON games, as well as all the big set pieces like the aToE Corner location minis, and the Truck from LNoE, but it seems to have an adverse reaction specifically to the plastic for the Flying Frog minis, causing a sticky feel which increases over time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2022, 03:04 AM
RE: Varnish Issues with Flying Frog minis
Did it effect the figs color (do they look frosted?) if not maybe the GW Varnish? It's been a while since had this problem & I
let them set for 3 years before they dried out.

Sam does a lot more painting perhaps he'll have some more useful advice.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-25-2022, 01:51 PM
No effect on the color, no. And no stickiness initially. It just showed up after a few weeks had passed.
02-26-2022, 04:34 PM
I believe the issue is to do with the mould release that can still be present on the plastic figures. I recommend ALWAYS washing these type of soft plastic figures first in warm (not hot) water and a little detergent. My first flying frog minis were sticky too after painting and I'm 99.9% sure it's not caused by varnishing. I wasn't aware of this issue initially either.

I've just had a look and feel of the first LNoE figure I painted and it's not sticky anymore (but it was years ago). So this effect doesn't last forever but it may last years. Sorry I can't offer a better solution post painting.

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
02-27-2022, 03:06 AM
Thanks guys