Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Village " I see dead meeple "
05-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Village " I see dead meeple "
Village is The Game of Life you grew up with as a kid. OK, it is a super-Euroized multi-generational medieval Game of Life. Each player has multiple generations of a family to control and lets them lead their lives and bring great glory to the family name. The family with the most glory at the end of the game wins.

Village is an excellent 60-90 minute Euro with a few caveats that might or might not be important to you. I want to get the caveats out of the way first, just so you know what is what.

1. The end game trigger is filling the town’s Book of Honor or the pauper’s graveyard. How do you do those? By having your family members die. If you are uncomfortable with the fact that the game encourages you to work your family members to the bone quickly and have them pass on to bring glory to the family name, this game is probably not for you (or it will last hours longer than intended). My first few games I was trying to keep my family members alive and the game did not really grab me. Once I internalized that I should be killing the first generation off while having them do things that would benefit their descendants, the game clicked. In all honesty, the illustrations could probably have been done by Edward Gorey or Tim Burton, rather than Dennis Lohausen. Dennis did a beautiful job with the board, but it does not communicate the darkness of the game’s theme.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2013, 05:49 PM
RE: Village " I see dead meeple "
Is its dark tone overshadowed by its silly antics and fun, like Gloom is? You kill off your family in that game, as well, and it gets darker or lighter in tone depending on who you're playing the game with.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2013, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 07:43 PM by mqstout.)
Aww, the meeples are making dirt angels Watchmen02

I think I have this game coming, bundled with a random Kickstarter...

EDIT: Nope, that's "Villagers". Quote different.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Hi. I didnt really think the game has a dark tone to it. I mean i like Zombies, so for me...its just fun to kill them. Thats a bright tone for me Watchmen02

....dirt angels..... LOL ! I'll have to remeber that one.

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
Find all posts by this user