Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Walking Dead inspired custom scenario: Recover the Bag of Guns
02-26-2013, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 10:11 AM by scarydk.)
Walking Dead inspired custom scenario: Recover the Bag of Guns
EDIT: In the current version of the scenario I forgot to mention that you should start by placing the gas station L-board and then place the other boards (standard layout). ALSO I have been playtesting using gasoline as Scenario Search Item.

For some time now have I been working on a scenario for LNoE inspired by The Walking Dead, and after three playtesting games I think it is time to share it with you guys:

Recover the Bag of Guns
The Sheriff has left a Bag of Guns in the Town Center. All Heroes start
in the Road Out of Town space from where they must venture out to
recover the Bag of Guns and bring it back to the Road Out of Town space.

Place the Bag of Guns in the center square at the Center of Town with
a Free Search Marker. A Hero must use their Search Action to pick up
the Bag of Guns (or the Free Search Marker if present). When a Hero
picks up the Bag of Guns remove the Free Search Marker from the game
even if the marker hasn’t been used.

The Bag of Guns is a special kind of item that takes up two slots. A
space that contains the Bag of Guns or a Hero carrying the Bag of Guns
gains the Pick Up: ability ‘Any Gun or Ammo Card’. If a Hero dies while
carrying the Bag of Guns, the Bag of Guns is placed in the space where
the Hero died.

The Center of Town has been overrun by Lurkers, the kind of zombies
that just sit around waiting for their prey to approach. Before the game
starts, the Zombie Player places 14 Lurkers on the Town Center board.
Lurkers can be placed in any space as the Zombie Player sees fit,
however they cannot move and aren’t affected by card effects that
spark movement. Lurkers cannot be spawned during play and once a
Lurker dies, it is turned into a Walker and placed in the Zombie Pool.
Walkers on the contrary can never be turned into Lurkers.

Lurkers are immediately turned into Walkers in the following cases:
(1) If a Hero appears in the same space or an adjacent space to a Lurker;
(2) If an Explosion occurs all Lurkers in play are turned into Walkers;
(3) When you roll to hit with a Gun Item, the result of the roll indicates
the number of spaces away the shot can be heard (Hearing Distance).
Any Lurker within Hearing Distance of a gunshot is immediately turned
into a Walker;
(4) When a Lurker dies.

When the game starts, the Zombie Player controls a Zombie Pool of 7
Walkers. In the context of this scenario, Walkers refer to the regular
zombie types used in Last Night, and as such the normal Zombie rules
apply to Walkers.

Heroes that enter the game during play get to draw a bonus free Hero
Card and may either start in a Random Building, or they may start in the
Road Out of Town space.

Heroes win when at least two Heroes end the Hero Turn together in the
Road Out of Town space with the Bag of Guns.

For the scenario cards I wanted to come up with something Walking Dead-ish and made these two variants (hopefully with the same text):

I kind of prefer the last of the two, but the first one with the Atlanta skyline may have the most obvious resemblance to a scenario card inspired by the TV show.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 06:22 PM
RE: Walking Dead inspired custom scenario: Recover the Bag of Guns
Great job man! I love the cards, the Atlanta skyline is my fav. I'll tool around with it one of these nights and see if anything needs some tweaking and leave a comment for ya. I feel the need for a tank mini for this!!

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
02-26-2013, 08:37 PM
After I finish my Rules update. I will have a proper look through this. At a glance it looks quality!
Find all posts by this user
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
This sounds really awesome! I am loving it! Very creative, too. I love how you tied it in with something from early on in the series. Definitely looks like one I will want to try out sometime.
02-26-2013, 09:28 PM
One question I have off the bat, after the lurkers have turned and died they return to zombie pool. So you end up with a pool of 21, or stick with 14? Or is this like an implementation of a grave dead of sorts? Also since the heros have to start on the road out of town are they eligible for a free hero card each at the start? Finally does this scenario come with a free tank miniature? I keep going through this over and over, it looks great, kinda like a get to the truck on zombie roids. Only thing that scares me is the gun shot potentially turning 14 lurkers on a high roll..

02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Really fun looking scenario! +1 rep because you obviously put a lot of thought into it.

Nice job.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
02-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Me and my wife are playing tonight we'll give it a try and I'll let you know how it goes.

Eating brains and taking names.
02-27-2013, 10:51 AM
First of, thanks for the comments guys. Please note that I don’t own Timber Peak in case you discover a rule conflict that this scenario may introduce…

(02-26-2013 06:22 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  Great job man! I love the cards, the Atlanta skyline is my fav. I'll tool around with it one of these nights and see if anything needs some tweaking and leave a comment for ya. I feel the need for a tank mini for this!!

Please do! Watchmen02

I have been thinking about the tank actually, but it will be the size of a large building if you go with the scale. Or you could work on a custom center board with a M1A1 Abrams ”building”. Watchmen02

(02-26-2013 08:37 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  After I finish my Rules update. I will have a proper look through this. At a glance it looks quality!

Thanks Samuraitrev. Talking about update, I actually forgot to add gasoline as Scenario Search Item, as this is what I used during playtesting.

If you find the time, I hope you’ll test it, also if you have corrections to the wording do let me know. Watchmen02

(02-26-2013 09:00 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  This sounds really awesome! I am loving it! Very creative, too. I love how you tied it in with something from early on in the series. Definitely looks like one I will want to try out sometime.

Thanks StayPuft. Do you recall your suggestion of making the zombies react to gunshots? Well, if you take a closer look, you’ll notice I’ve used a variant of it for the rules of this scenario.

(02-26-2013 09:28 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  One question I have off the bat, after the lurkers have turned and died they return to zombie pool. So you end up with a pool of 21, or stick with 14?

I have tried to make it stand out as a special rules for the zombies on the scenario card (your question shows it should be made clear in the scenario text too):
Zombie Horde: Lurkers (14), Walkers (7)

(02-26-2013 09:28 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  Also since the heros have to start on the road out of town are they eligible for a free hero card each at the start?

Heroes that enter during play are allowed one bonus free Hero Card. If you playtest, do let me know how you think of it…

(02-26-2013 09:28 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  Only thing that scares me is the gun shot potentially turning 14 lurkers on a high roll..

That’s what I think makes this scenario stand out from the rest. You REALLY need to think BEFORE you decide to fire a ranged weapon or blow up something. At the same time, blowing up the passage to the Bag of Guns is vital for winning, so you really need your heroes to work together on a tactic in order to win this.

(02-26-2013 10:42 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  Really fun looking scenario! +1 rep because you obviously put a lot of thought into it.

Nice job.

Thanks, goodcop2000. I hope you like it!

(02-27-2013 01:34 AM)abomination Wrote:  Me and my wife are playing tonight we'll give it a try and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cool! Please let me know what you think. I need your thoughts and critique to improve this…

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
(02-27-2013 10:51 AM)scarydk Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 09:00 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  This sounds really awesome! I am loving it! Very creative, too. I love how you tied it in with something from early on in the series. Definitely looks like one I will want to try out sometime.

Thanks StayPuft. Do you recall your suggestion of making the zombies react to gunshots? Well, if you take a closer look, you’ll notice I’ve used a variant of it for the rules of this scenario.

I did notice that. ;-) I didn't know you actually got the idea from our earlier thread, though. Cool to know that our earlier discussion helped you in small part with this.
02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Gun shots + zombie hordes = me in the corner with wet pants...
Zombie apocalypse weapon of choice: titanium cricket bat with a sharpened edge...