Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What I would like to see in The Lost Colony...
09-27-2012, 11:27 AM
What I would like to see in The Lost Colony...
The Lost Colony.....the next ATOE expansion?

Personally, I would like to see 3 long very thin boards of woods and trails leading from The Coast to Shadowbrook...you can use one, two or three, sitting right on top of the other boards as needed.

There need not be a connection road at Shadowbrook or Echo Lake...just 'woods'. The one farthest East would have the Lost Colony's original location.

But deeper West?

Just some 'location zones', un-named. When you encounter the 'location zone' space all sorts of mysterous things can occur (as usual with the Corner Decks like skirmish attacks from werid woods people or 'You're Lost!' making you lose a turn). But THEN, there would be some special 'Remains in Play' Location to detail what would be found in the Woods...different each time because of the card draw: ancient caves, a temple, indian tribe, large stone shaped like a face, slaughter area, gold mine, weird malformed 'natives', cultish colonists, viking ruin, the Lost Colony etc. that permanetely effect that zone in some way.

Heck, the 'Lost Colony' could actually be a Villain!!!

This long board set-up could provide another needed quick but dangerous path from board to board:
"Well, you could take the road, but there is a old path through the north woods that some say is quicker...providing you don't get lost..or worse..."

09-27-2012, 12:16 PM
RE: What I would like to see in The Lost Colony...
the road is already set. it leads north from the coast... i assume it will end up 6 boards in 2 rows..

Roll High!!
Youtube: TragicTheBlathering
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a hard time getting two boards on my table let alone 6.

I just ordered The Coast before I even thought about where am I going to play this? I don't think my wife will buy the idea that I have to buy more leaves for the table just to play a game.

What would I really like to see in an new expansion is a reason to go to all the individual places. I found that in my last few games there was no reason to go to certain places on the board like the Forbidden Isle or either Dock . In FANG there is the feature of secret packages, maybe they could incorporate that into the game. Something Like:

Beacon of Hope
"Event Card"

Bring the Beacon to a random Corner location (one with a card deck) that is at least 15 spaces away (redraw if necessary). When you arrive, either:

Roll D6 and Reduce the darkness meter by the rolled amount
or
Draw the first 5 cards of the deck, and choose 2. Place remainder in the discard pile.

Something that really encourages players to explore the boards as I find most people hang around the town because of the Dr and the blacksmith.
09-30-2012, 05:43 AM
I will play on the floor.

No problems there.

Just gimme more.

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2012, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2012 01:26 PM by MoonSylver.)
(09-28-2012 05:55 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  I have a hard time getting two boards on my table let alone 6.

I just ordered The Coast before I even thought about where am I going to play this? I don't think my wife will buy the idea that I have to buy more leaves for the table just to play a game.

What would I really like to see in an new expansion is a reason to go to all the individual places. I found that in my last few games there was no reason to go to certain places on the board like the Forbidden Isle or either Dock . In FANG there is the feature of secret packages, maybe they could incorporate that into the game. Something Like:

Beacon of Hope
"Event Card"

Bring the Beacon to a random Corner location (one with a card deck) that is at least 15 spaces away (redraw if necessary). When you arrive, either:

Roll D6 and Reduce the darkness meter by the rolled amount
or
Draw the first 5 cards of the deck, and choose 2. Place remainder in the discard pile.

Something that really encourages players to explore the boards as I find most people hang around the town because of the Dr and the blacksmith.

I have heard of others with the same issue. I like to set out with a specific destination in mind either because of something I hope to find there or because I hope to exploit the "theme" the location is tied to.

That said, I can see the problem. NinjaDorg created an Investigation Deck that gives you mini "missions" to complete that is very similar to what you're describing over at BGG:

NinjaDorg's Investigation Deck PDF

In addition, in the past I'd contemplated making a random encounters chart, just something to add flavor & give small bonuses or penalties. Thinking about your post has actually inspired me a bit though to make one that is a combination of the aforementioned + sort of mini "adventure hooks" that would grant a small boon if you choose to visit certain locations.

Time to fire up Excel & see what I can come up with. Insane20
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
09-30-2012, 03:35 PM
(09-30-2012 05:43 AM)Tommy Brownell Wrote:  I will play on the floor.

No problems there.

Just gimme more.

Easy for you to say,at my age once I get down there,
tain't that easy to get back up.Watchmen02

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
09-30-2012, 03:39 PM
(09-30-2012 03:35 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  
(09-30-2012 05:43 AM)Tommy Brownell Wrote:  I will play on the floor.

No problems there.

Just gimme more.

Easy for you to say,at my age once I get down there,
tain't that easy to get back up.Watchmen02

OD

Well, fair point...=)

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user