Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Traitor in our midst
11-30-2012, 02:21 AM
Traitor in our midst
Inspired by RaidCastro's idea of incorporating rogue heroes in LNOEhere, I'm starting to have a vague idea of a traitor planted in an ATOE Cooperative game. This is new to me, so I don't have the concept fully fleshed out, but here's what I'm thinking of:

- Making use of the number tokens from LNOE or IFOS (I forgot if ATOE comes with this), each player draws one at random and keeps the number of the tile that they drew a secret.
- A D6 is then rolled, the result determines who the traitor is - this number revealed to everyone. This can result in none of the players being the traitor - which I think is better because I can only imagine a group of people having pointless paranoia Watchmen02
- The traitor then works against the group in secret - picking up Investigation tokens, doing actions that result in the Shadow track moving closer to darkness (is this possible to do in a Coop game?), hindering the group by obtaining and keeping helpful items and allies.
- A player may choose to investigate a fellow player at the cost of X Investigation. I don't know how much this should cost, but I imagine it should cost more to investigate a Hero than it does for a Town Elder. Investigating a Hero that turns out to be innocent will result in a penalty, and a reward if the investigated Hero turns out to be the Traitor.
- The Traitor can also opt to reveal himself once he decides that he's at an advantage. Once revealed, the Traitor can directly work against the Heroes - playing Event cards that hinder the Heroes, engage them in combat, etc.

Has a concept been introduced to ATOE before? I'm new to the game so I don't know Watchmen02
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2012, 03:38 AM
RE: Traitor in our midst
Nice, this is a good method to introduce the traitor, and I think AztoE is even better suited to this concept. If only FlyingFrog could help with the playtesting, I've almost got the capture zombies scenario to work, I'll do this one next. Good job on this mechanism, I may borrow it...
Find all posts by this user
11-30-2012, 05:52 AM
This could be done far more easily by dealing secret cards out to the players as well as the elders
11-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Interesting idea. Sort of a mash up of competitive & co op. For the cost of investigating, I think the same cost as buying a Lair on the Shadow Track would be fair.

Biggest thing I have a problem wrapping my head around is how the traitor could work against the Heroes effectively? It might necessitate keeping items, allies, etc found secret? That way you could say "Oh, I don't have thing to boost Attack, sorry." & be sitting on a Musket from the Abandoned Keep, etc.

Could also add a rule that each turn the 1st player gets to draw 1 Mystery card for each player, choose the one to play & shuffle the rest back into the deck unrevealed. That way the Traitor could always try & play the LEAST beneficial card (shades of "Shadows Over Camelot here...)

Dallying about, wasting time, searching too much at Corner Locations, not fighting minions, spending Investigation on things that won't help w/ the Showdown or make progress to finding the Lair could be others.

Once the Traitor is revealed I'd say he should definitely be able to play Event cards as in Competitive against his Co-Op opponents. Maybe even allow him to draw 1 per each opposing Hero for free each turn. Or once revealed he is the only one who gets to draw/play Mystery cards as per above rule for the rest of the game.

What effect would this have on the Showdown? Could the Traitor join the Villain? Unsure on this.
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
11-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Not to be negative, but I don't really think this idea goes that well with this game.