Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What games have you bought recently?
01-18-2021, 01:18 AM
RE: What games have you bought recently?
(01-16-2021 01:38 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 10:29 PM)rpgspree Wrote:  Do you think that Arkham 3rd edition changed that much? Personally, I still went with Arkham because I find that confrontations in games spanning the globe tend to be more distant and abstract. That's my impression anyway.

I don't have AH3 but it did change a lot for the better (IMO).It's streamlined & plays more like Eldritch Horror.The thing I really like about is that the
Monsters are keyed to the GOO so you don't have the grab bag effect of AH2.

There are 3 flavors of Lovecraft Games which I play depending on what I'm interested in at the time :

Explore a specific Location- COMON Cthulhu Death May Die

Explore a general Location-FFG Arkham Horror 2 (but I think AH 3 does a better job)

World wide Mythos Campaigh- FFG Eldritch Horror

OD

AH3 sounds like the deal to me. Insane20 Of course YMMV

When all else fails...run like hell!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2021, 08:44 PM
OK..... I talked (wrote) myself into AH3. I order the game + the 2 Expansions.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-24-2021, 04:08 AM
Good man. Enjoy sirZombie17
02-18-2021, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2021 11:15 AM by Raynor.)
Found time to start playing a Shadows of Brimstone Campaign online with some long distance friends over the past few months and have REALLY been enjoying it. We're playing a group of 2 Wandering Samurai, a Nun with a Gun, and an Orphan who grew up to be a Gunslinger.

We all reached Level 5 recently, and the team is insane. We fought the Burrower two weeks ago and he died in 3 turns.

Quote:COMON's Cthulhu-Death May Die base Game & 3 Expansions- this blows Mansions of Madness out of the water for me.

I also started playing Cthulu: Death May Die recently and absolutely fell in love with it. I still enjoy the other slower paced Cthulu mythos games, but DMD has quick snappy action and a great look, making it far easier to get to the table and usually more entertaining than the competition.

After trying Cthulu: DMD, I took a chance and picked up Project Elite; another game from CMON. Oddly enough, though it's a game about Space Marines blasting legions of aliens down, I think it's my wife's favorite game at the moment.

Most recent purchase was Wingspan. Not my usual bag, but we've taken up bird watching over the past two summers and the art in the game is amazing.
03-29-2021, 09:24 AM
We recently found a great deal on Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. Haven't got it to the table yet as apparently some assembly is required and the glue I had dried out from lack of use. :/ Just recently got Arkham Horror 3rd ed. to the table and finished the first scenario with three players. Also manged to borrow Arkham Horror the card game and play through the entire base campaign.

Both are a bit more complicated than we're used to, especially with the different rules for each monster and scenario. AHCG has more variety of locations through each scenario, as each location is just another card. AH3 is a bit more limited in that regard, but it still has many places to visit and more unique interactions with each one. The way AHCG handled items however is far more complicated and cumbersome than AH3, and the two player limit without an expansion is a huge bummer.

AHCG is enjoyable, as we did play the campaign, but we prefer AH3 overall. The last two points especially swayed our opinion. AHCG is an LCG with a ton more expansions though, so that may be better or worse depending how you look at it.

Looking forward to taking Mansions out for a spin sometime too. Now that I got my family into it, that will likely be sooner than later. Zombie17

03-29-2021, 11:43 AM
I have MoM #1 & disliked the "Dungeon Master " aspect so I modified it to an A.I. but when I got Cthulhu:Death May Die I
left MoM behind.Recently however when I picked up AH#3 it renewed my interest in using my ton of FFG prepainted
Investigators so I put MoM back on my play list.

OD

03-30-2021, 09:14 AM
(03-29-2021 11:43 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  I have MoM #1 & disliked the "Dungeon Master " aspect so I modified it to an A.I. but when I got Cthulhu:Death May Die I
left MoM behind.Recently however when I picked up AH#3 it renewed my interest in using my ton of FFG prepainted
Investigators so I put MoM back on my play list.

OD

CDMD looks interesting, but way out of my budget right now. We only got MoM by luck. That's probably the last big $$$ game we'll get for awhile. Need to get what we have to the table more. MoM2 has an app for the DM part. Some were really put off by that, but others hated the DM management of the original, so it's a bit of a mixed bag I suppose. I'll let you know when we manage to get into it.

04-02-2021, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021 10:13 AM by Raynor.)
(03-30-2021 09:14 AM)rpgspree Wrote:  CDMD looks interesting, but way out of my budget right now. We only got MoM by luck. That's probably the last big $$$ game we'll get for awhile. Need to get what we have to the table more. MoM2 has an app for the DM part. Some were really put off by that, but others hated the DM management of the original, so it's a bit of a mixed bag I suppose. I'll let you know when we manage to get into it.

The whole keeper aspect being offloaded to the app dropped set up time from 30-40 minutes to like 5-10. I don't own the game but I have a friend who has had everything from both editions. I feel like 2E took the game from a neat oddity to a real contender in the space. I understand preferring avoiding an app and manually managing all the complex mechanisms of the game, but you know some people prefer Linux to Windows or Apple too. If you like more complex stuff you know who you are. Otherwise, 2E delivers a much more manageable and enjoyable experience. I still prefer C:DMD to it, but they're really very different games. DMD is an action game while MoM is all about the vibe and the experience.

I just broke down and picked up a used copy of Arkham Horror 3E for cheap. I've played it 3 times at a friend's house and it has grown in my estimation with every play. It's weird because they removed all my favorite aspects from the 2nd Edition of the game (primarily gates and the otherworlds), so initially I still preferred 2E. The things they did focus on improving though - story and pacing, have been dramatically improved though. So much so, that every game has been nail bitingly memorable.

Very happy to have it in my collection. I really love adventure games, and while I don't find any of the Fantasy Flight Lovecraft games as much fun as A Touch of Evil, they bring a lot of great variety to the genre.

I'm avoiding the AH card game for now despite it's great reviews. I tried Lord of the Rings a few years back and I got a little wallet fatigue trying to keep up with it.
04-02-2021, 12:25 PM
Raynor our opinions of AH3 are same but I think FFG covered the Gate Mechanic with Anomalies & Gate Burst. I've only played 2 Scenarios
but 1 of them had a modified version of another world so perhaps other Scenarios may have them as well.The new Expansion coming out
later this year features the Underworld.Now if they could do Dunwich.

I don't like Card Games but I did pick up AH & an Expansion but never got passed the rules,maybe I'll give it another try someday but its money
pit so perhaps it's best to let sleeping Card Games lie.

OD

04-05-2021, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2021 10:45 AM by Raynor.)
(04-02-2021 12:25 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Raynor our opinions of AH3 are same but I think FFG covered the Gate Mechanic with Anomalies & Gate Burst. I've only played 2 Scenarios
but 1 of them had a modified version of another world so perhaps other Scenarios may have them as well.The new Expansion coming out
later this year features the Underworld.Now if they could do Dunwich.

I don't like Card Games but I did pick up AH & an Expansion but never got passed the rules, maybe I'll give it another try someday but its money
pit so perhaps it's best to let sleeping Card Games lie.

OD

The Anomalies & Gate Burst mechanics in AH3E are mechanically better than the gates in 2E, but I found the absence of art and names of specific dimensions dropped the immersion level for emergent story telling in my mind's eye. Luckily they did a major uptick in the actual story telling everywhere else so it still came out net positive. (Looking forward to the expansions. I've learned my lesson to buy FFG expansions for the games you like while they're still in print)

I grew up with this book on my shelf and the art of the gates in 2E coupled with the specificity of the different dimensions (Dream Lands. The Abyss. etc) really tapped into my imagination.

[Image: 245925.jpg]

I'm fairly certain the fully fleshed out gates and other worlds is about 75% of why I like Shadows of Brimstone.