Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What games have you bought recently?
09-06-2020, 10:04 PM
RE: What games have you bought recently?
The Few & the Cursed- a KS Game that just got delivered.The Theme
drew me & the price was reasonable.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...and-cursed

It's based on a Comic Book Series

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2020, 09:59 PM
Gloomhaven, my group loves it....I just love the Cragheart.
12-18-2020, 06:35 PM
(12-17-2020 09:59 PM)SenorOneandDone Wrote:  Gloomhaven, my group loves it....I just love the Cragheart.

I've bought it but I haven't got around to playing it yet. I'm kind of overawed by it.
01-08-2021, 01:34 AM
Added a few horror titles to the collection. Hopefully we can get them to the table more this year...

Arkham Horror (Third Edition)
Dark Darker Darkest
Earth Reborn
House of Spirits
King of Tokyo
Return of the Heroes
Tiny Epic Zombies
Zombies!!!
Zpocalypse

Also Hero Pack 1 and Survival of the Fittest

When all else fails...run like hell!
01-08-2021, 07:54 PM
I'd really like to play Arkham Horror. I'm a huge Lovecraft fan and I have his complete works (fiction). I've just never had the chance to play it. I think I'll have to buy it one day.
Although, aren't there loads and loads of expansions?
Are they easy to still get?
Can it be compared to A Touch of Evil?

These questions go out to anyone who knows about this game.Zombie17
01-13-2021, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2021 07:04 PM by rpgspree.)
(01-08-2021 07:54 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I'd really like to play Arkham Horror. I'm a huge Lovecraft fan and I have his complete works (fiction). I've just never had the chance to play it. I think I'll have to buy it one day.
Although, aren't there loads and loads of expansions?
Are they easy to still get?
Can it be compared to A Touch of Evil?

These questions go out to anyone who knows about this game.Zombie17

I don't have Touch of Evil and haven't gotten around to playing Arkham Horror yet, so I can't comment too much about either. Judging from the components and game setup, AH seems to be a "bigger" game with almost twice as many cards. The ones that get played somewhat depend on which case you play and which leads you successfully follow. The 2nd edition has a ton of expansions, some requiring extensions to the board to add new locations. Apparently they realized how clunky that was and so in the 3rd edition, the one I have, they switched to interlocking tiles that can be expanded seamlessly. Because of the changes, it's incompatible with previous editions. Consider it another reboot of the franchise. So far it has three expansions. I might get them, eventually, but I'll see how the base game goes first.

Honestly, the only reason I was able to get it was because I got it on an auction for a decent price. The expansions for 3rd edition came out in 2019 and 2020, so they should be still available. Some of the early ones for 2nd edition are almost 15 years old now and are probably getting rare.

01-14-2021, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 02:18 PM by Old Dwarf.)
I've been in a rut for several weeks .I've been playing my KS "The few & the cursed"& it just went on & on so I lost interest.
Then I got "twitchy" (which happens when I don't get a game fix) & picked up Peterson's Games "Evil High Priest" & it's two
Expansions but alas I'm still not motivated to take The Few & the Cursed off the Table & set up Evil High Priest.

Sam- Arkham Horror I do have the Game & all Expansions (2nd edition) & I much prefer Eldritch Horror mainly due to
Eldritch being more themewise. In Arkham although you are fighting a specific GOO you get a grab bag of monsters not
related to the GOO your fighting that parade around the Streets.In Eldritch the encounters are keyed to the GOO your
fighting plus it's more than just running around closing Gates & it's a world wide campaign.

Thus in Eldritch you can delve into the Dreamlands ,The Mts of Madness & othe locations featured in the Mythos.

OD

In replying to the above I realize that I have been lazy in updating over the last year so here's the rest of 2020.

Zombicide - Dark Side & Dark Ops (+ extra Tiles)- I know I'm not a Zombie fan but the Theme of these Games just
tied into one of my favorite Board Games "Gears of War"

All Expansions I didn't have for COMON's SMOG series 'On Her Majesties Service" & Rise of the Morlach".

COMON's Cthulhu-Death May Die base Game & 3 Expansions- this blows Mansions of Madness out of the water for me.

So I hope let my plastic rest some in 2021 but maybe the 2 preordered Expansions for F&G will show up this year?

OD

01-14-2021, 10:29 PM
(01-14-2021 01:50 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Sam- Arkham Horror I do have the Game & all Expansions (2nd edition) & I much prefer Eldritch Horror mainly due to
Eldritch being more themewise. In Arkham although you are fighting a specific GOO you get a grab bag of monsters not
related to the GOO your fighting that parade around the Streets.In Eldritch the encounters are keyed to the GOO your
fighting plus it's more than just running around closing Gates & it's a world wide campaign.

Thus in Eldritch you can delve into the Dreamlands ,The Mts of Madness & othe locations featured in the Mythos.

Do you think that Arkham 3rd edition changed that much? Personally, I still went with Arkham because I find that confrontations in games spanning the globe tend to be more distant and abstract. That's my impression anyway.

01-15-2021, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the posting the info. guysWatchmen02
01-16-2021, 01:38 PM
(01-14-2021 10:29 PM)rpgspree Wrote:  Do you think that Arkham 3rd edition changed that much? Personally, I still went with Arkham because I find that confrontations in games spanning the globe tend to be more distant and abstract. That's my impression anyway.

I don't have AH3 but it did change a lot for the better (IMO).It's streamlined & plays more like Eldritch Horror.The thing I really like about is that the
Monsters are keyed to the GOO so you don't have the grab bag effect of AH2.

There are 3 flavors of Lovecraft Games which I play depending on what I'm interested in at the time :

Explore a specific Location- COMON Cthulhu Death May Die

Explore a general Location-FFG Arkham Horror 2 (but I think AH 3 does a better job)

World wide Mythos Campaigh- FFG Eldritch Horror

OD