Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What games have you bought recently?
04-05-2021, 11:15 AM
RE: What games have you bought recently?
The Other Worlds/Dimensions were cool but if I remember they were just a set of encounters I think you could port them over
to AH3 someway without doing damage to the Scenario.Maybe something like on an Anomalies Tile roll d6 & if 6 comes
up your Inv.is sucked into an another world (random selection from what AH2 has or if the Scenario of AH3 ties in
to a specific other world just use that one).

Well now you did...it back to the shelves to pull out the AH2 Games & check out the other worlds.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2021, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2021 08:39 PM by rpgspree.)
I've been out of the horror genre for a spell while trying to balance playing and expanding our collection. Recently sold a few to help tip the scales too. Got ahold of an open/unpunched copy of Zpocalypse awhile back on auction and was recently motivated to get it to the table.

The core of the game is about managing your own squad of heroes and surviving a number of days (2 to 4 complete rounds, depending on the scenario). It plays a bit like a light RPG, where every player has their own "party" of heroes. While they each have their own stats, most challenges and combat are fought based on the squad's collective stats.

Each "day" presents new rewards and perils in the form of events. The starting ones effect individual squads, where as the evening events affect everyone. The number and speed of the zombies varies on each event card, and also increases each day.

Daytime is primarily spent managing your squad and the fortifications protecting the bunker entrance. The zombies come out at night to do what zombies do, while the heroes fend them off and search for resources (food, items and weapons). The weapons are unique and have three levels of proficiency, depending on the squad's stat. Each level gains a better dice roll or special actions. Squads improve their combat stats by earning points for the defenses they build, the zombies they kill, and goals they meet.

The map tiles are interlocking and usually feature a combination of destroyed buildings and vehicles. The tile spaces also have a number of obstacles and hazards that effect movement and health. A few also have locations to search. Poking around can spawn more zombies though.

The game has a few rough edges. While the style is mostly thematically on point, some of the elements seem off or outright silly. For example, the evening event cards are lazily titled "Something's Happening", where as "Nightfall" would have been more consistent. Unfortunately, this type of game tends to be fiddly and Zpocalypse isn't an exception.

Overall an interesting game. It's a combination of resource management, "tower" defense, and tactical combat. Some of the scenarios are more competitive while others eschew the daily squad goals for straight up coop. Given that my main group is leaning more towards coop, and the uneven quality of the goals, we'll probably go that route. One thing that fans of LNOE might find lacking is the ability to play as the zombies. The Zmatster expansion is supposed to add that, but I don't have it and can't say much else about it. Someone has the kickstarter verson with the zmaster expansion on auction at BGG, if that is of any interest.

There's also a sequel to the game, Defend the Burbs. From what I understand, the defense locations are mostly houses, but it allows more weapon and defense crafting and upgrades, as well as character customization. It also has a campaign system, if that's your thing. Miniature Market has it and its expansion on sale.

When all else fails...run like hell!
06-24-2021, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the write up rpgspreeZombie17
07-03-2021, 07:46 AM
I tried to buy Dead of Night for AH3 on ebay, but ended up with just a few genuine cards in the box with a bunch of random ones from the base game. sigh At least the seller refunded the order and didn't want for it back either. Now I have cards all these cards I don't need or can't use.

07-03-2021, 12:05 PM
(07-03-2021 07:46 AM)rpgspree Wrote:  I tried to buy Dead of Night for AH3 on ebay, but ended up with just a few genuine cards in the box with a bunch of random ones from the base game. sigh At least the seller refunded the order and didn't want for it back either. Now I have cards all these cards I don't need or can't use.

Bummer-I've only been screwed on ebay twice once the seller went to
Katmandu (or somewhere?) & I had to order from another seller-then
the 1st came back & shipped months later.

The 2nd time I bought an expansion "The Wheel" for Morlock the World of Smog
as I wanted the figs. When the Game Came it just had Gentlemen figs from the base game.I contacted the seller & he said he had the figs somewhere & would try to find them. I finally had to buy the 2 missing figs from him.

Dead of Night is a worthwhile addition to AK3-I hope you have better luck
next time.

OD

07-03-2021, 12:44 PM
(07-03-2021 12:05 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Bummer-I've only been screwed on ebay twice once the seller went to
Katmandu (or somewhere?) & I had to order from another seller-then
the 1st came back & shipped months later.

The 2nd time I bought an expansion "The Wheel" for Morlock the World of Smog
as I wanted the figs. When the Game Came it just had Gentlemen figs from the base game.I contacted the seller & he said he had the figs somewhere & would try to find them. I finally had to buy the 2 missing figs from him.

Dead of Night is a worthwhile addition to AK3-I hope you have better luck
next time.

OD

WOW, letting sales run while going off on a foreign trip is just inexcusable! Ebay has an option somewhere to temporarily suspend sales in cases like that, as I've seen sellers do it occasionally. Years ago, when I was collecting Atari cartridges by mail from magazine classifieds, I had a family agree to take a huge order and then not reply for a month after I sent the money. They didn't bother to mention that they'd be away on a trip when they agreed to the sale.

Yeah, I'm fairly bummed about Dead of Night. I've learned to always inventory games. Even if it's new in shrink, it may have a missing piece or a mis-punch. I've had mostly good luck with ebay, as I try to stick with established sellers with a good reputation. Unfortunately, you can still get burned once in awhile. Too bad the cost of shipping has gone up so much as well. It's really changed the calculus for online orders.

07-06-2021, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2021 05:56 AM by Raynor.)
Zpocalypse is my third choice after LNoE and Zombicide for a good zombie game. I enjoyed it but the space is pretty crowded so I didn't hold on to it when my friends wanted to move on.

Ebay is definitely a little tricky. I haven't had any major issues myself but a friend warned me off preordering anything there, as apparently the refund/report option is only good for 30 days. He missed the Tainted Grail KS and preordered it from a seller on ebay, and they apparently oversold and just refused to ship it to him and ebay wouldn't do anything about it because it had been more than 30 days since the transaction. Paypal came through and he got his money back and was able to pick up a copy locally, but sounds like it's a lot easier to just contact ebay within 30 days if the seller fails to follow through.

The game I've been playing most lately is Robinson Crusoe. It scratches the same itch that aToE does, with a large number of potential scenarios to change up the game, and has a similar olde bookish adventure vibe with the theme.

I had ignored it for years somehow, thinking it was a hidden movement game after confusing it with the Treasure Island game. Happily rectifying the oversight. Adventure games are my favorite genre and Robinson Crusoe is a top tier offering in the category.

Aside from that, a friend who backed Nemesis invited me over to play and HOOO BOY. Guys, Nemesis is like ... What! I know it's expensive and hard to find but if you like survival horror, and most of us here do, it's a premium experience.
07-09-2021, 12:28 AM
I tried Zombicide once. It has some interesting ideas, but a few of the rules felt broken and ill conceived. Some of that was supposed to have been addressed in later editions. I never got back to it tough. Robinson Crusoe has been on my list for awhile. It's still fairly sought after, so it's hard to find for a decent price. Have you tried the Zpocalypse sequel, Defend the Burbs?

BTW OD, I don't know if you have it but CoolStuffInc has Arkham Horror: Secrets of the Order on sale. I grabbed a copy on reserve. Hopefully I can get the rest before then.

07-09-2021, 11:21 AM
(07-09-2021 12:28 AM)rpgspree Wrote:  BTW OD, I don't know if you have it but CoolStuffInc has Arkham Horror: Secrets of the Order on sale. I grabbed a copy on reserve. Hopefully I can get the rest before then.

I got it (but haven't played yet)-I preordered direct from FFG at full retail
but with free shipping & no taxes so I saved a couple of $ even with the
lower price from the online stores.

OD

07-09-2021, 04:06 PM
(07-09-2021 11:21 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  
(07-09-2021 12:28 AM)rpgspree Wrote:  BTW OD, I don't know if you have it but CoolStuffInc has Arkham Horror: Secrets of the Order on sale. I grabbed a copy on reserve. Hopefully I can get the rest before then.

I got it (but haven't played yet)-I preordered direct from FFG at full retail
but with free shipping & no taxes so I saved a couple of $ even with the
lower price from the online stores.

OD

It list for $40 on FFG. Even if I paid full shipping for a single item, I would have paid less than $30. I put it on reserve to spread the shipping cost over multiple items as other sales pop up.