Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What is the best Solo Rules or Rules for FULL Coop for LNoE?
11-10-2012, 04:01 AM
RE: What is the best Solo Rules or Rules for FULL Coop for LNoE?
(11-10-2012 03:15 AM)LabRat Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 01:46 AM)wisdomknight Wrote:  Ok I was going to play test this but I just couldnt figure out which event cards where "conditional" and which where "normal".

Conditional Zombie Event cards are those that wait for conditions to be met before they can be played. Good examples are I Feel Kinda Strange (can be played once a Hero is wounded), Loss of Faith (can be played when Faith is played or when a Break test roll is successful), and Locked Door (can be played when a Hero is about to go through a door). If you can't play it without waiting for a certain condition, it's Conditional.

Normal Zombie Event cards are those that you can play without waiting for specific triggers. I can't say play at any time because a lot of these events can be played either at the start of the Zombie turn or the end of it. Good examples are all of the Zombie Play Immediately cards, Relentless Assault, and Shamble.

thanks for the clarification man
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Thanks for playtesting! I can't wait to get your feedback!
11-15-2012, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 02:09 AM by Bokya.)
I tried a slightly skewed Variant the other night.

Board Setup:
1) Choose X Number of Heroes. This will determine the number of Enemy Zombies during the game. (1 Hero = 7 Zombies, up to a Cap of 28)
2) Zombies start On, or Adjacent to the Spawning Pits, prioritizing the Pit itself, then points closest to the Heroes.

Turns:
1) Hero Turns play out normally. At the Start of the Zombie turn, they gain 3 Zombie Skill Points + The number of players in the game beyond the first. (For 3 Players, the Zombies gain 5 Zombie Skill Points.)
2) The Hero Players must consume all the Zombie Skill Points to Draw cards into the Zombie Players Pool. "Combat" Cards are worth one point, "Event" Cards are worth 2 Points, and "Play Immediately" and "Remains in Play" cards count as 3 Points.
3) All "Combat" Zombie cards are permanently put into play. When a Zombie Enters combat, the 2 oldest cards are separated from the rest and are automatically used by the Zombie when it is most beneficial.* (For Example, he will not reroll a Hero Dice if he is already slated to win Combat.) All Unused cards go back to the Zombie Combat pool.
Note: This Allows 2 Combat cards to be played per turn.
4) All Zombie Event cards are used when the event is Triggered. For Shamble, it is used on the closest Zombie to a Hero, chosen by Board Selection (For Rolling a Random Board, the Center Tile Replaces 'Zombies' Choice for Shamble.)
5) All "Play Immediately" and "Remains in Play" Cards are cast at once.

Movement:
1) Zombie Hunger is Raised to 3 Spaces and Zombie Movement is increased to 2 (Autopilot mode increases their mobility)
2) In Situations where there is a Zombie objective to destroy a building, disregard the rules below, and the Zombie gains Global Objective Hunger. Zombie Hunger Prioritizes Objective Hunger.
3) For Each Board with a Zombie, Roll 2 Dice consecutively, For the First Die, even numbers determine Vertical or Horizontal movement and odd die determine Diagonal Movement. The second Die must be Rolled as a 1-4. That determines which direction they will walk towards. Rolling a 5 or 6 forces a reroll. This controls the path of all Zombies on that board. If it forces them out of the board, they stop moving.
Note: If you have a D8, or a Randomizer program, this would save you a lot more time than having to reroll a lot of Die.
4) In Situations of Zombie Hunger or when 3 Spaces away from an Objective, they only move one space (When obsessed by brains, they lose motor capacity due to limited brain power). Roll a D3 Die* and determine if it moves forward, or will go Diagonally towards the Hero. If Multiple Zombies are moving towards a Hero, as much as possible, avoid placing them in the same space. This is implemented to prevent clumping.
*Note: Only roll a D3 if the Zombie progression will make it equidistant no matter which square he enters.
5) If Zombies are equidistant to multiple Heroes, they choose the one with less Health. If tied, the one with less equipment. If still tied, roll a die.

This Game Mode allows you to play 1 Hero up to 4 Heroes, and also Scales the difficulty a bit (The most difficult would be 1 in some scenarios and 4 in others.) While the Standard LNOE would focus on Big Battles, this will provide a more Hit-And-Run feel, and includes a bit of thinking as to which decks to draw from with regards to Heroes gaining benefits.
Find all posts by this user
11-16-2012, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 02:29 AM by LabRat.)
I tried the variant that I posted, and I have the following findings:

- I don't think the cards from the base set are enough. Separated between Event types results in very few Fight Events and Normal events, and a lot of Conditional events. But this is one variant where I think (just in theory) putting in as many Zombie cards from the different expansions as possible into the
- 3 "Conditional" event cards are harsh. 2 Conditional event cards waiting to be triggered are enough, then re-filling the Conditionals in play would be done during the Draw Zombie cards phase.
- Zombies only draw and play from the Fight cards if they lose the Fight Dice roll.
- The Normal Zombie event cards (non-conditional ones like Shamble) still require some decision-making from the players. E.g. Rotten Bodies, Relentless Assault. Ugh, I don't want to set card-specific rules for these so back to the drawing board.
- The Zombie movement rules worked well, the increased Zombie Hunger range of 3 made sure that the zombies would be heading towards a Hero, but I can see some instances where the zombies would end up heading towards the center. Instead of my original suggestion, I'd use wisdomknight's suggestion of rolling a d6 and using that for the random zombie movement if there's no Hero in range (good simulation of how zombies usually behave in zombie media). Setting the priority to the following worked well for me:
Zombies move towards
- Heroes in adjacent spaces first
- Closest objective related targets (e.g. generators in Timber Peak)
- Heroes within 3 square radius
- D6 roll - 1 no movement, 2 left, 3 forward-left, 4 forward, 5 forward-right, 6 right

Mind you, these AI rules try to minimize Human player involvement in controlling the Zombies without changing the game too much. Did anyone else get to playtest?
(11-15-2012 02:08 AM)Bokya Wrote:  I tried a slightly skewed Variant the other night.

Slightly skewed is an understatement. Looks interesting and complicated. I'll see if I can playtest this.
11-16-2012, 03:10 AM
Comments below in bold
(11-16-2012 02:28 AM)LabRat Wrote:  I tried the variant that I posted, and I have the following findings:

- I don't think the cards from the base set are enough. Separated between Event types results in very few Fight Events and Normal events, and a lot of Conditional events. But this is one variant where I think (just in theory) putting in as many Zombie cards from the different expansions as possible into the
I agree with this. Splitting the deck really makes you want for more cards. It also makes the game a little predictable. You're better off stacking xpacks here.
- The Zombie movement rules worked well, the increased Zombie Hunger range of 3 made sure that the zombies would be heading towards a Hero, but I can see some instances where the zombies would end up heading towards the center. Instead of my original suggestion, I'd use wisdomknight's suggestion of rolling a d6 and using that for the random zombie movement if there's no Hero in range (good simulation of how zombies usually behave in zombie media). Setting the priority to the following worked well for me:
Zombies move towards
- Heroes in adjacent spaces first
- Closest objective related targets (e.g. generators in Timber Peak)
- Heroes within 3 square radius
- D6 roll - 1 no movement, 2 left, 3 forward-left, 4 forward, 5 forward-right, 6 right
I had a time when I was using one Hero to just Kite all the Zombies due to x3 Global Hunger. They go Pubtraining really easily sometimes. I think that's the major concern with AI. On top of this, controlling each Zombie with 1 die roll seems to take really long in terms of gameplay. The other Mechanics feel solid though.
11-24-2012, 02:50 AM
OK play tested finally.

It was an awesome game!
We lost with Gasoline and Keys in hand at the very last round!
Totally epic ending and game in general...way better than playing against a zombie player!

- We played the "Get to the Truck" Scenario
- We had 3 people (Heroes) with replenish and zombie heroes
- I used a Spinner instead of the dice, much easier as I didnt have to aligned the zombies at all
- We also started with Maximum of 12 starting Zombies
- We used the Spinner for everything needing a zombie player to choose, not just zombie movement.
- We used gunshots creating a sound marker for a round that attracts ALL zombies on board for movement

LabRat is correct the base game has too few cards for the "conditional deck" I am guessing adding the expansions would be perfect
Also we forgot to use the Fight Cards most of the time....dont ask me why Watchmen02

* I am making custom zombie dice that will have arrows and one X.
The X will be "no movement" the other arrows will be used as the spinner was...where ever it points.

ALL IN ALL....was great fun for ALL three of us!
11-26-2012, 01:44 AM
If you want to make things cheaper, you can just grab a D8, and do without the Zombies not moving, or a D9 and allow that as well.
11-26-2012, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012 06:38 AM by redeyedfool35.)
Amazing concept..I was wondering how I could run the rules for solo games and this is a very solid backbone..Great work!
here's and idea for zombie movement for the zombies that are out of range..Why not have them roll a "Growing Hunger" check in which the zombie has a chance to experience increase in senses with a roll of 4+ on a d6..if successful the zombie can either move 3 spaces towards the closest hero or a d6 roll toward the closest hero..whichever you guys see more fit
11-26-2012, 04:04 PM
I am going to try this next with ONLY a "fight deck" and "event deck".
And do away with the 3 cards face up.
Drawing 1 event card per zombie turn (at the begining)
Drawing 1 fight card for every zombie that rolls a "1" on their dice roll.

Ive also created my zombie movement dice and sound tokens.
Ill post a pic soon.

BTW the sound tokens are by far that best rule for this zombie AI rules project from my game testing thus far!
11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Some comments:

(11-26-2012 04:04 PM)wisdomknight Wrote:  I am going to try this next with ONLY a "fight deck" and "event deck".
And do away with the 3 cards face up.
Drawing 1 event card per zombie turn (at the begining)

What happens when you draw Bickering and the condition (two or more heroes in the same space) isn't met? Will you just discard the card with no effect?

(11-26-2012 04:04 PM)wisdomknight Wrote:  Drawing 1 fight card for every zombie that rolls a "1" on their dice roll.

I suggest that you draw 1 Fight card per Fight that the Zombie loses.