Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What is the best Solo Rules or Rules for FULL Coop for LNoE?
11-26-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: What is the best Solo Rules or Rules for FULL Coop for LNoE?
Yeah Labrat whatever doesnt have a condition met just discard....the game will be much faster this way.

As for the fight cards I think it would be way to hard to allow the zombies a fight card every time they lose!
We didnt even use fight cards the first play test and we were crushed!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2013, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 12:56 PM by Wordsmith08.)
I recently got my own copy of Timber Peak and I couldn't bear to wait until the holiday season was over and my gaming group would reconvene, so I've been testing the scenarios and mechanics out on solo play. The way I've gone about it is pretty low-tech, but seems to work fairly (both zombies and humans have won on the same scenarios). I simply play the zombies as I would play them in a game with others. When in doubt, I just ask myself if I want it to happen to my beloved Heroes, and when the answer is a resounding NOOOOOO!, I know exactly what the zombies will do. The only additional factor is that I try to get the zombies to play all their cards before the next draw, but that's pretty much how I would play as zombies anyway...

Basically, I don't see the need for fancy Zombie AI rules. The horde acts fairly intuitively anyway.
I recently got my own copy of Timber Peak and I couldn't bear to wait until the holiday season was over and my gaming group would reconvene, so I've been testing the scenarios and mechanics out on solo play. The way I've gone about it is pretty low-tech, but seems to work fairly (both zombies and humans have won on the same scenarios). I simply play the zombies as I would play them in a game with others. When in doubt, I just ask myself if I want it to happen to my beloved Heroes, and when the answer is a resounding NOOOOOO!, I know exactly what the zombies will do. The only additional factor is that I try to get the zombies to play all their cards before the next draw, but that's pretty much how I would play as zombies anyway...

Basically, I don't see the need for fancy Zombie AI rules. The horde acts fairly intuitively anyway.
01-05-2013, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 01:41 AM by elwatoplus.)
Hi, after playing a few games of ATOE, I really wanted to experience LNOE as a solo game. I found this post and play tested your solo rules and let me tell you, you're in the right track for a Zombie AI mechanism.

I played the game using the following rules:

-D6 Zombie movement. Roll a D6. Unless driven by Zombie Hunger they move to any adjacent spaces according to the rules posted. On 6 they don't move. I liked the random way the Zombies wonder when heroes are not around, and the way they move toward the hero when they smell brains. The only downside is the constant rolling and alignment for every zombie. An untested suggestion for movement could be: Before the Zombie movement, roll a D6.

1-2 All the Zombies move one space toward the center. Zombies driven by hunger should move toward their objective.
3-4 Move each Zombie individually using the D6 Rules
5-6 All the zombies move one space toward the closest corner. Zombies driven by hunger should move toward their objective.

This may avoid the zombies stuck in places far away from the heroes for the whole game. Sometimes the zombies are just hanging around the spawning pits. This would also make it faster to move the zombies since there is a 1/3 chance to move them individually.

-Zombie Hunger 3 spaces. Excellent, I wouldn’t change that.

-Draw two zombie cards each turn (no fight cards). I played with the rule that all unused cards from last round move one layer up before drawing new cards. There are only two layers of cards so, if a card isn’t used in two turns by the third it is discarded. I liked this rule since there are times a card cannot be played immediately so, at least for two rounds the heroes are subject to the effects of that card if they perform a certain action.

-Fight cards- I played that before each individual fight the zombie rolls a die, if 5+ is rolled the zombie gets a fight card for that fight.

-Zombie Phase Chart - I implemented this chart, to be used during the Zombie turn after moving the Sun Chart. It’s completely based on the one of ATOE. I think this chart totally improves the solo experience. If you have suggestions to improve it I can upload it later on with the changes.

So, these are my comments and my suggestions based on my experience. Thanks a lot.

Find all posts by this user
03-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Now that I have more cards (got Growing Hunger and Hero Pack 1), I'm going to start playtesting again.

Just want to throw this idea out too, coming from Flash Point - in Flash Point, the fires are either placed via the pattern suggested in the rules, or are generated randomly by dice rolls. One of the flaws of a zombie-AI ruleset that I've noticed is that the zombies all spawn from the pits and are thus mostly at the edges of the map, all clumped together. I'm toying with the idea of starting the game with the starting zombies already placed around the map instead of at spawning pits, but I can't figure out how to randomly generate their positions yet.

Actually, now I do have an idea. Each quadrant is a 6 x 6 square, so to determine where a zombie is placed, you:

(1) roll for quadrant, 2-5 goes into the L-board written on the center board, re-roll 1s and 6s
(2) roll for the X-axis
(3) roll for the Y-axis
note: each square of the center board is just as big as a 2x2, so #2 and #3 can still apply.

For example, set the board up with all of the L-boards, then roll a D6 three times:
(1) a 4 means the southeast L-board (depending on how your center is oriented)
(2) a 1 means the left-most side of that quadrant
(3) a 6 means that the zombie will be placed at G-12 (man, I wish I could post pictures easily - I can't access a file hosting website right now)

Am I making sense?
03-12-2013, 01:54 AM
I play both sides ruthlessly I don't add any rolling mechanics...I do exactly as I would if I was playing each side.
05-27-2013, 09:11 PM
I just played Mice and Mystics last weekend, and I saw a mechanic that I've seen in other Cooperative games that may work in custom Solo rules for LNOE - an escalating threat meter. I've seen this mechanic in other games like Pandemic, and even ATOE has a similar mechanic in the form of the Shadow Track.

Basically, this is how the mechanic worked in Mice and Mystics:

1. During combat, dice are rolled when attacking and defending. The dice have a side that has a cheese icon - each time this shows up, a cheese token is placed on a timer of sorts.
2. When the timer fills up (has 8 cheese markers), the threat level moves up and the timer resets to zero.
3. Each threat level represents an increasingly difficult spawning method, for example (I don't own the game so I'm not sure how accurate this is):
Level 1 - 3 Rat Warriors
Level 2 - 5 Cockroaches
Level 3 - 1 Elite Rat Warrior, 2 Rat Warriors
Level 4 - 1 Cave Centipede
and so on

I don't have the idea fully fleshed-out yet, but here's what I've been considering:
1. The Zombie Outbreak meter would determine the following:
a. Number of zombies spawned - it doesn't have to be exact, but it has to be increasing per level. For example, at low levels the spawn would be 1d3, then 1d6, then 1d6+1d3, then 1d6 x 2.
b. Zombie types spawned - at higher levels, you can also spawn Zombie Heroes, Grave Dead, or even special custom zombies (maybe zombies with upgrades from Timber Peak?)
c. Number of Zombie cards that are put into play - at low levels, it can increase from 1 card, to 2, to 4, and so on.

What do you guys think?
05-28-2013, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2013 01:02 PM by alderdust.)
(05-27-2013 09:11 PM)LabRat Wrote:  I just played Mice and Mystics last weekend, and I saw a mechanic that I've seen in other Cooperative games that may work in custom Solo rules for LNOE - an escalating threat meter. I've seen this mechanic in other games like Pandemic, and even ATOE has a similar mechanic in the form of the Shadow Track.

Basically, this is how the mechanic worked in Mice and Mystics:

1. During combat, dice are rolled when attacking and defending. The dice have a side that has a cheese icon - each time this shows up, a cheese token is placed on a timer of sorts.
2. When the timer fills up (has 8 cheese markers), the threat level moves up and the timer resets to zero.
3. Each threat level represents an increasingly difficult spawning method, for example (I don't own the game so I'm not sure how accurate this is):
Level 1 - 3 Rat Warriors
Level 2 - 5 Cockroaches
Level 3 - 1 Elite Rat Warrior, 2 Rat Warriors
Level 4 - 1 Cave Centipede
and so on

I don't have the idea fully fleshed-out yet, but here's what I've been considering:
1. The Zombie Outbreak meter would determine the following:
a. Number of zombies spawned - it doesn't have to be exact, but it has to be increasing per level. For example, at low levels the spawn would be 1d3, then 1d6, then 1d6+1d3, then 1d6 x 2.
b. Zombie types spawned - at higher levels, you can also spawn Zombie Heroes, Grave Dead, or even special custom zombies (maybe zombies with upgrades from Timber Peak?)
c. Number of Zombie cards that are put into play - at low levels, it can increase from 1 card, to 2, to 4, and so on.

What do you guys think?

I LOVE mice and mystics its prob my second favorite game behind LNOE. I would be into seeing what you come up with maybe an encounter card creation and the number of zombies spawned depends on where he sun track marker is. As you get closer there are more zombies or even zombie heroes spawned.
05-28-2013, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2013 01:58 PM by zelectah.)
Hey alderdust,
combining LNoE's suntracker with a threat level for solo gaming is a brilliant idea. I got 'pandemic' and it's one of the favorites of my gaming group. You've got some good ideas with the numbers of spawning zombies, type of zombies and automatically played zombie cards. When I got some time, I'll try some variants and will post the results.

Watched some pics of 'mice & mystics' at BBG and the game looks awesome. Have to get my payment and order it.
Z
05-28-2013, 09:53 PM
(05-28-2013 01:00 PM)alderdust Wrote:  I LOVE mice and mystics its prob my second favorite game behind LNOE. I would be into seeing what you come up with maybe an encounter card creation and the number of zombies spawned depends on where he sun track marker is. As you get closer there are more zombies or even zombie heroes spawned.

I was thinking of using the sun track marker, but I'm opting against it because it's not random. Unlike in Pandemic or Mice and Mystics, or even the ATOE shadow track, which doesn't advance at the end of every turn.

I'm thinking of using the TP sun track marker (or using one sun track and two markers), and instead of rolling to check if zombies will spawn, players will roll to check if the threat level will increase.
06-20-2013, 04:16 AM
I made a simple mission for solo play called Hold the Line...You can see it here:

http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...2#pid41212