Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: If you could only watch one zombie movie for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Brain Dead/Dead Alive (1992)
28 Days Later (2002)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Fido (2006)
Dead Snow (2009)
Zombieland (2009)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the best zombie film of all time?
04-21-2016, 09:22 PM
RE: What is the best zombie film of all time?
To start with, I agree 28 days/weeks and very soon months later count as zombie films.

To answer the question: what zombie film is the best of all times, the one you must see in representation of all zombie movies? I'll provide the context, when I asked this question to myself.

My current girlfriend, confessed not to have seen any zombie film before... Indeed, she wasn’t even aware of the existence of things like “The walking dead” or even “Resident Evil” videogames (wow those were good kid times... playing PS in the night in the security of my room, and then so scared to go to pee)... to the topic

..and so I was like, whaaaat?? ok, this girl is going to discover the zombie world, and after that, she’s going to play Last Night on Earth with me, and depending on how the game (games) go, our love story may finish (obviously I did kept my thoughts in secret, not to put much pressure on the gaming interaction which could bias her attitude towards the game).

So, what film, could best reflect, all the spirit of all the zombie thing?
Not every zombie film is capable of capturing all the spirit of the zombie holocaust. I mean the initial disorientation, the panic, the survival, the claustrophobia, the paranoia, the nihilism. the bunkering and resource scavenging, and the always super-creepy human dimension... Then there is the humour, but humour only comes as a parody because of the cult, so I totally discarded parodies, which by the way, are not among my personal preferences.

I started to recall all the zombie films, and realized, that actually very few zombie films, really hit the spot. In my opinion, only three could be considered as sorthy representants of the zombie filmography: “Day of the dead”, “Dawn of the dead”, and “28 days later”.

“Day of the dead” however, deals more with the human component, so although I find this film formidable, I removed it from the list.

The final was “Dawn of dead” vs “28 days”.
I love 28 days, but no chances against Dawn of Dead.

Now the question was… Romero vs Snyder… and here, I am not a purist, sorry, but I prefer Snyder’s version.

So “Dawn of dead” (2004) is in my opinion the one film I’ll choose in representation of zombie films and gets the very best of their spirit and cult in my opinion.

By the way, my girlfriend enjoyed the movie, and the game, and she also joined role playing games with my group, and we played the Call of Cthulhu, and Vampire, the Mascarade. She even conspired against my character once and almost got me killed… so proud of her.

Every species of ant has its own species of zombi fungi that it gets infected by.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2016, 02:23 AM
Dawn of the dead for actual good zombie movie, but Zombieland is a really funny movie.
02-13-2017, 05:21 AM
Bumping this post for new folks who may not have voted...

gc2K

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
01-21-2021, 02:23 PM
If you don't mind subtitles, it's worth checking out "Train to Busan" and "The Wailing", or even "REC". It feels that American horror has gotten stale so I've been going international for a fix. I honestly wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.

Of these and the ones listed in the poll, at least of those I've seen, I'm leaning towards "Train to Busan". It's a solid production with an interesting cast of characters, a bit of humor, and running plot threads that actually payoff by the end. And the hordes! Just when you think they couldn't top the undead body count, they do again and again. I had no idea Korea was making productions this big. The only snag I had was that the pacing can be slow at times, but overall it still ranks as one of the better films I've seen in awhile. I mentioned it in passing to a friend who doesn't care for zombie films and even he enjoyed it. While it does have a sequel, "Peninsula", I don't particularly recommend it. It's merely...OK. It's not a bad film, it just felt that they were too self-conscious and trying too hard to make a more "Hollywood" film. Then add the over the top melodrama at the end that Korea is probably more known for... Yeah.

As for "The Wailing", I'd put it between those two. It's not as good as Busan, with worse pacing and some cultural symbolism that's hard to cut through, but it feels more genuine in its Asian horror roots. Much like its bumbling cop protagonist, it's not trying to be anything else than what it is, and yet manages to rise to the occasion when it needs to. Actually, I think having a slightly out of shape average Joe as the reluctant "hero" sells the suspense. And the ending might be surprising, or not. It is foreshadowed a bit, as they leave some clues around, but they're not so obvious that you'd feel stupid for missing them either.

The original "REC" is a solid film. It's definitely a lower budget production than the others, as it mostly takes place within a quarantined apartment building. It might have been more groundbreaking in the "found footage" genre when it was first released in 2007, but overall still worth checking out.

If anyone is interested, I can post more about my misadventures in foreign horror cinema.

When all else fails...run like hell!
01-21-2021, 05:38 PM
(01-21-2021 02:23 PM)rpgspree Wrote:  If you don't mind subtitles, it's worth checking out "Train to Busan" and "The Wailing", or even "REC". It feels that American horror has gotten stale so I've been going international for a fix. I honestly wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.

Of these and the ones listed in the poll, at least of those I've seen, I'm leaning towards "Train to Busan". It's a solid production with an interesting cast of characters, a bit of humor, and running plot threads that actually payoff by the end. And the hordes! Just when you think they couldn't top the undead body count, they do again and again. I had no idea Korea was making productions this big. The only snag I had was that the pacing can be slow at times, but overall it still ranks as one of the better films I've seen in awhile. I mentioned it in passing to a friend who doesn't care for zombie films and even he enjoyed it. While it does have a sequel, "Peninsula", I don't particularly recommend it. It's merely...OK. It's not a bad film, it just felt that they were too self-conscious and trying too hard to make a more "Hollywood" film. Then add the over the top melodrama at the end that Korea is probably more known for... Yeah.

As for "The Wailing", I'd put it between those two. It's not as good as Busan, with worse pacing and some cultural symbolism that's hard to cut through, but it feels more genuine in its Asian horror roots. Much like its bumbling cop protagonist, it's not trying to be anything else than what it is, and yet manages to rise to the occasion when it needs to. Actually, I think having a slightly out of shape average Joe as the reluctant "hero" sells the suspense. And the ending might be surprising, or not. It is foreshadowed a bit, as they leave some clues around, but they're not so obvious that you'd feel stupid for missing them either.

The original "REC" is a solid film. It's definitely a lower budget production than the others, as it mostly takes place within a quarantined apartment building. It might have been more groundbreaking in the "found footage" genre when it was first released in 2007, but overall still worth checking out.

If anyone is interested, I can post more about my misadventures in foreign horror cinema.

Thanks for the heads up with these films. If I can find any of them, I will give them a watch. I'm particularly interested in Train to Busan.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on horror cinema. Either add it to this thread or start your own.
Have you seen Reality Z on Netflix yet? It's a Brazilian version of the UK Dead Set. I thought it was pretty cool. Patchy acting in places and not without its faults but an enjoyable watch none the less.
01-21-2021, 11:58 PM
(01-21-2021 05:38 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up with these films. If I can find any of them, I will give them a watch. I'm particularly interested in Train to Busan.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on horror cinema. Either add it to this thread or start your own.
Have you seen Reality Z on Netflix yet? It's a Brazilian version of the UK Dead Set. I thought it was pretty cool. Patchy acting in places and not without its faults but an enjoyable watch none the less.

I don't know how accurate their UK listings are, but it's a start.
https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/train-to-busan

Haven't renewed Netflix in awhile, but we plan to do so before too long. As for British series, In the Flesh was an interesting spin on the undead. It's set in a post outbreak Britain where zombism becomes a treatable condition, but many of the terrorized survivors are not so quick to forget. It was slow and uneven at times, but it had considerably more depth than other big budget genre series. Too bad it was killed off on one hell of a cliffhanger! Damn, it still gets me a bit just thinking about it... Zombie12

When all else fails...run like hell!
01-22-2021, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2021 07:11 PM by samuraitrev.)
(01-21-2021 11:58 PM)rpgspree Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 05:38 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up with these films. If I can find any of them, I will give them a watch. I'm particularly interested in Train to Busan.

I don't know how accurate their UK listings are, but it's a start.
https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/train-to-busan

Haven't renewed Netflix in awhile, but we plan to do so before too long. As for British series, In the Flesh was an interesting spin on the undead. It's set in a post outbreak Britain where zombism becomes a treatable condition, but many of the terrorized survivors are not so quick to forget. It was slow and uneven at times, but it had considerably more depth than other big budget genre series. Too bad it was killed off on one hell of a cliffhanger! Damn, it still gets me a bit just thinking about it... Zombie12

I watched In The Flesh. Yes, I found it an interesting take on the zombie apocalypse. I seem to remember being blown away by the first episode. I too would have liked to see how the story would have developed. A bit of a hidden gem that one.

What the hellZombie17 I just ordered Train to Busan on Blu Ray, Can't wait to see it.Watchmen02
01-31-2021, 05:07 PM
I watched Train to Busan on Bluray last night and it was a brilliant film. I really enjoyed it and it was directed really well. Great tension and realistic handling of an apocalyptic event.
Amazing effects 8/10
great action 8/10
good/fair acting (especially the child actress) 7/10
good/fair script. 7/10 (mostly good shaky in places)

Over all an 8/10 (almost a 9)

I would recommend watching this film if you're a Zombie fan but it's still a great action film regardless. Thanks go to rgpspree for recommending this film.