Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When does a Zombie Hero act?
09-16-2012, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 11:38 PM by sgiove.)
When does a Zombie Hero act?
If I read somehwere correctly, the rules in the new Timber Peak game state that Zombie Heroes and Heroes Replenish are now retroactively in effect for all scenarios. Even though I don't own Timber Peak, I've decided to adopt this rule for my base game.

However, now that I am experiencing Zombie Heroes more I have a question about when they can act. I believe the rules state that a Hero turns to a Zombie Hero when they are killed, but they do not act in the current turn.

So, I present two scenarios and I just wanted to be sure each are being played correctly.

SCENARIO 1

Johnny and Billy start their hero turn in the same space as a zombie. Billy acts first and decides to attack the zombie. Unfortunately, Billy loses the fight, takes his final wound, and perishes at the hands of the zombie. Billy is now considered a Zombie Hero but cannot act as a zombie until the next turn. Now Johnny takes his hero turn and, seeing both a zombie and a Zombie Hero in his space, opts to move away from the space.

SCENARIO 2

Johnny and Billy start their hero turn in the same space as a zombie. Johnny acts first and attacks the zombie. Johnny wins the fight but is only able to fend off the zombie. Billy now takes his turn and also decided to fight the zombie. Unfortunately, Billy dies in the process and becomes a Zombie Hero. The complete hero turn now ends and the following zombie turn begins. After all other zombie phases take place the fight phase comes. Both a zombie and a Zombie Hero (Billy) are now in the same space with Johnny and they attack.

SUMMARY

It would seem that the chance for a Zombie Hero to attack a former ally they recently shared a space with when alive to now attack said ally lies soley in the order the players chose to act and in what order one of the heroes died. In Scenario 1 Billy acted first when he died, giving Johnny the option to move out of the space on his hero turn. In the Scenario 2, Billy acted AFTER Johnny and then become a Zombie Hero in the process, and because of the order the players acted during the hero turn, ensured that he will be able to take a swipe at Johnny in the following zombie turn.

Is this correct?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2012, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 09:47 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: When does a Zombie Hero act?
That seems correct to me. You used clear examples too.

Just to clarify Jason S. Hill says on BGG

'As for bringing on new Heroes, this works exactly like bringing on a new Hero when your last Hero dies. They are placed immediately on the board, but do not take part in the current phase of the Turn. After that they act normally (If it is the Hero Turn, they DO still get to go this turn).'
09-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Yup. I would agree. You are exactly correct. Since, in your second example, Johnny remained in that space, he does have to fight any zombies that remain there in the next round. Since Billy died and became a Zombie Hero, that meant he became active in the very next Zombie turn, before Johnny had another chance to get away. So, Johnny would fight the zombie and the Zombie Hero currently in that space.

That is just one great example of how the order in which the heroes take their turns can be part of your overall strategy. This is a case where, on the one hand, you may want to have Johnny go first, hoping he can kill the zombie without Billy having to even fight and risk taking his last wound... but on the other hand, you may want to have Billy go first just in case he does die so Johnny could instead decide to get out of there.

Of course, you could have also opted to have Billy avoid the fight completely, but for the sake of argument, we will just assume there was some reason you needed to try to kill this particular zombie.
09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks to you both for the reply. And I agree, StayPuft, it would seem to make sense from a strategy point of view for Billy to run in the examples above, but then my Scenarios would not match the result I was hoping for.

Plus, since Billy is usually as useless as a one-legged man in an @$$ kicking contest, I just like to see him die.
09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
(09-18-2012 12:32 PM)sgiove Wrote:  Thanks to you both for the reply. And I agree, StayPuft, it would seem to make sense from a strategy point of view for Billy to run in the examples above, but then my Scenarios would not match the result I was hoping for.

Plus, since Billy is usually as useless as a one-legged man in an @$$ kicking contest, I just like to see him die.

LOL! Now that's just mean. ;-) His extra movement space is...sorta helpful. LOL! To be honest, I do definitely agree that some of the heroes aren't quite as useful as the others, but I never intentionally allow them to be killed anyway. I still view it as a game of survival. No man, woman, child, or animal left behind if we can help it. ;-)