Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When the hero deck runs out
11-18-2017, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 05:43 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
When the hero deck runs out
Bear with me...

I got the 10th anniversary. I then matched up all cards with the original set and there's 60 cards in the Hero Deck for the original and the 10th anniversary adds 5 new cards.

Timber Peak has a 45 card Hero Deck

HP1 adds 5.
Blood in the Forest adds 20.
Survival of the Fittest adds 8.
Growing Hunger adds 25.
The online minipacks add a total of 24.
I am assuming HP2 adds 5.
Buying the soundtrack adds 1 (hey, I'm a completist)

Being that running the Hero Deck dry is the focus of some Zombie cards and that it is one of the three ways for Heroes to lose (scenario, multiple deaths and Hero Deck), how do the players here manage this influx of Hero Cards with respect to 'Hero Deck Runs Dry'??

11-18-2017, 06:38 PM
RE: When the hero deck runs out
We multiply all of those cards by 3. It does put a lot of cards in the discard pile, but what you gonna do? We haven't figured out anything else and we do play all in usually.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2017, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 10:33 PM by mqstout.)
The expansion "toss hero cards" cards tend to get rid of greater numbers of them from what I recall.
Also, there is bonus to heroes having more cards in discard (for Pick Up: abilities).

Even playing just base game a bunch, no expansions, the hero deck was never in threat of going out.

To preserve this, one could utilize the rules from the one scenario where the heroes build a specific "town life" deck that zombies can attack. I forget which scenario that is.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2017, 04:37 AM
Been playing for ten years and we have never run out yet.
11-19-2017, 03:49 PM
(11-19-2017 04:37 AM)fallensaviour Wrote:  Been playing for ten years and we have never run out yet.
Same here. Not even sure I recall a close call.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
11-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Never known it to happen either...
11-27-2017, 03:34 AM
I've seen the deck nearly run-out in ... Invasion From Outer Space by using the martian's proto-bomb tech. So, not quite LNoE, but compatible!

It seems LNoE would need somethig similar if this win condition is a desirable thing :-) It was intense, because the Hero knew he was close to running out of Hero Deck cards, and had made a quick calculation to know how many more he would be able to safely draw without risking depletion... but he didn't know I had the proto-bomb. Unfortunately (for the drama), the game ended one round before I was going to unveil it, because I won a different way (killing the fourth Hero.)

(For those who haven't played it, the proto bomb in IFOS is a martian tech card that martians can spend X tech points on -- tech points are gained naturally at a rate of 2 for each game round -- and it will discard 2X cards from the Hero Deck.)
11-27-2017, 01:42 PM
This is the scenario I meant:
http://boardgaming.com/games/board-games...supplement

Don't make that scenario's "deck per corner board" in every game, but add the "each zombie not involved in a fight can make a pillage roll (4+) in a building" a constant rule. If dotting, 1 dot at most, though I'd say it's less than that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2017, 04:09 PM
I suppose the simplest 'fix' would be to merely reword the rule as

"When there are 60 cards in the discard pile...."

11-27-2017, 11:47 PM
(11-27-2017 04:09 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  I suppose the simplest 'fix' would be to merely reword the rule as

"When there are 60 cards in the discard pile...."

That would throw the balance off in the other direction, as there are proportionally more cards that discard other cards when you've added all the expansions. It also would require keeping a constant count of the discard pile, yuck...

I think achieving balance regarding Hero deck depletion is interesting because discarding more cards makes more cards available (i.e., for pick-up rules on the board), so the house rule of multiplying by 3 gives Heroes an advantage while also making the threat of depletion a little more real.