Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who Watches the Watchmen?
03-09-2009, 01:16 AM
RE: Who Watches the Watchmen?
A couple thoughts about it:
I did feel some of the "message" behind the movie was muddled and it was a little slow in some areas. Some of the non-necessary stuff could have been removed for a little more of a streamline movie... especially for the masses. Some of the scenes were VERY violent. It's definitely not a movie for children. (There were about 3 or 4 at the showing I saw).

Is it a good movie? Yes. Should you go see it? Yes.
I can't wait to see it on Blu Ray in it's director cut AND including the Black Freighter. 4 1/2 hours of pure joy.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2009, 01:43 AM
I guess the biggest thing is a deep breath of relief.

For years us fans worried that if this every made film, it would be horribly mangled, or made into a vehicle for some overblown Hollywood star.

It's as if we dodged a bullet, not only was it NOT a disappointment, it will stand as a great compliment to the book.

Using relatively unknown starts was a wise choice...The characters may have been overshadowed by using a well known. Can you imagine Keanu Reeves as Doc Manhatten? It was rumored, and I can't be happier it didn't happen.

It may not get the fanfare than The Dark Knight did, but for us 'fanboys' it's will become a great collectors item, and something I'll end up watching as often as I re-read the book.

If you haven't read the book, you really should give it a try. As good as the movie is, the book is much more tense, has much more in depth, and much more satisfying.

I feel almost the same way I did regarding the Lord of the Rings movies. They are great as movies, but don't begin to touch the books.
03-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Found a couple of funny Youtube clips and thought I'd post them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Warning the following clip contains swearing in subtitle form...for all you at work at the moment. Also, it gives away the ending of the film...so you have been warned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIhHema5PNg
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Oh shoot! The first one works, but looks like You Tube yanked the second already!

I SHOULD have looked at it while at work....
03-10-2009, 03:53 AM
AH, it worked on second clicksies....Brilliant!
03-10-2009, 03:28 PM
the second one was amazing.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
supervike Wrote:I feel almost the same way I did regarding the Lord of the Rings movies. They are great as movies, but don't begin to touch the books.

i feel the same way. they were good but didnt capture the true size of the world and armys like the books did.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
03-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Yes, I think they translated the 'feel' of the comic pretty well. Although the book is so much deeper, and filled with more raw emotion it seems.

I won't wax too philosophical about the differences between the book and the movie, but I've always felt that this story is not a 'comic book' story. It's an adult drama told through the trappings of a 'comic book'.

The comic ending also really shows the genius of Adrian Veidt. Although the movie ending still works for me, it isn't the complex spiderweb that he so craftily wove....The guy really is the smartest man on the planet. The book convinced me that everything Adrian did, from that failed meeting of the 'Crimebusters' forward, was all orchestrated and planned. His plan took decades. That is what drove the Comedian to tears, this plan was way beyond normal human consideration.

Also, I feel that the urgency of the impending war didn't play as well. Maybe because of my age, but I can remember the cold war very well, and how as kids we always felt that we were just on the cusp of total anihilation. Moore really captured that paranoia, and it's possible it doesn't play as well now as it did back in the 80's.

But, overall, yes. They got most of it right. It translates pretty well. But do yourself a favor and just read the comic, you won't be sorry.
03-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, we just went and saw the film again and loved it even more!

Watching a second time I noticed a few things I hadn't first time around.

Can't wait for the extended DVD!
03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm thinking of taking a half day and watching it again some time in the near future. Just me and no one else. It'd be great... in other Watchmen news... I picked up tales of the Black Freighter today. I can't wait to check it out.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga