Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why am I not loving the fence post?
01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Why am I not loving the fence post?
The fence post is mentioned on these forums often as a bonafide zombie-slaying tool. Am I missing something? It never does much for me at all. Since it is a two-handed weapon, I can't have a ranged weapon. This essentially makes it a range 1 ranged attack that I have to roll doubles on, as well as at least one dice above the zombie roll, to hit (granted it can hit multiple zeds, but so can the shotty). I do get 1 extra fight dice, but the bat and chainsaw seem cooler, esp when I can have a shotgun in the other hand. Is it because it never breaks? How can I cause my zombies more anguish with this thing?

From Jason Hill on BGG:
The Fence Post has a 'Combat Bonus:' that lets you roll an extra Fight Dice. It also allows you to Fight every Zombie in one adjacent space at the end of your move. If the Zombie wins, nothing happens. If you win and get doubles, the Zombie dies as normal. These Fights with Zombies in an adjacent space are in addition (and occur before) any normal Fights in your own space. Of course, you get to use the extra Fight Dice Combat Bonus in all of these Fights (in your own space and adjacent).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2011, 11:42 PM
RE: Why am I not loving the fence post?
It's adjacent spaces -- so you can do all of this freely. It's also not during the normal combat phase, so timing of things get all sorts of messed up there (or, beastily -- killing adjacent as well as those in your space during your normal combat). I don't find it omgzorswin, I just find it to be a *bad* item (in terms of how it feels to use it, how the rules on it work, etc).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2011, 02:12 AM
(01-12-2011 11:42 PM)mqstout Wrote:  It's adjacent spaces -- so you can do all of this freely.
Ya, I guess I do love that there is no penalty for using it, and it can't break.
Quote:It's also not during the normal combat phase, so timing of things get all sorts of messed up there (or, beastily -- killing adjacent as well as those in your space during your normal combat). I don't find it omgzorswin, I just find it to be a *bad* item (in terms of how it feels to use it, how the rules on it work, etc).

Right. It is at the end of the move phase, just before the beginning of the combat phase. This is normally the "ranged attack" phase, except you can't hold a ranged weapon if you have the fencepost. Maybe they should have said "As a ranged attack," instead of "At the end of a hero's move?" However, the zombie can sort of block the swing by rolling higher, something it can't do to other ranged items. The chances of hitting are pretty low in these adjacent square battles. I prefer a one-handed melee weapon and a one-handed firearm for dealing max justice. Maybe i need the duct tape expansion to make it worth my while.
02-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Damn! So if you get a two handed weapon, you can't have a gun?!
02-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Nope, you can only have two 1 handed weapons or 1 double handed. The single handed can be both ranged but you can only fire one a turn. The melee's combat should both be able to be used in a single fight.
02-04-2011, 05:07 AM
Now, the fencepost gets really nasty with duct-tape. Duct-taping a chainsaw to the fencepost becomes BRUTAL to zombies...
02-04-2011, 05:59 AM
You know.. I've never had duct tape get drawn, let alone used it.. But I normally end up giving up the fence post in favor of a single handed weapon. Doesn't really do it for me.
02-11-2011, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 06:18 AM by deadrabbit.)
duct tapes a real thing, i knew i should have bought sotf over atoe.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]