Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do I have such terrible rolling luck?!
11-29-2013, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2013 08:49 PM by StayPuft.)
Why do I have such terrible rolling luck?!
(Side note: I wasn't sure where this topic best belonged. It isn't specifically about Last Night On Earth, or any game. It is just about my gaming experience in general. So, I figured it sort of fits best here.)

Is anybody else in this boat with me? It can't just be me. For some reason, I have the absolute WORST luck when it comes to rolling for anything. Somehow, I always roll badly.

I mean, mind you I mean always as a relative term. It isn't like I LITERALLY never roll well. But, it is almost comical how often my rolls suck for anything. Rolling dice is pretty much 100% random. I mean, you can't get much more random. You are taking an object that has 6 sides (or more if you use other types of dice), shaking it in your hand a bit, and then rolling it on a table or other surface. Technically it should be completely random. Yet, somehow I almost always have the worst luck. LOL!

The one good thing I will say about it is this.... I don't play board games to win (though, of course, I am trying to win). I play board games to have fun. So, it doesn't ruin my fun at all. Still, it can be pretty frustrating. LOL!

Anybody else swear they must be cursed by the Gods of the dice? ;-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2013, 02:15 AM
RE: Why do I have such terrible rolling luck?!
Invest in a dice tower and then you won't be rolling and maybe your luck will improve.
11-30-2013, 02:21 AM
Ha, I'm definitely in the same boat StayPuft. My luck is typically so bad that my group no longer has any faith in me. If we're playing a game where one player has to do any type of dice roll that effects the whole team, everyone votes that I don't get to roll (myself included usually). I agree that it is pretty comical and makes for some fun, light-hearted humor during our game nights and I'm fine with being at the end of one of the running jokes. I must say though that it makes it that much more impressive(exciting, surprising?) when I'm in a tight spot and my luck turns around and I walk away from an impossible situation having had that one game changing roll.

"Sometimes dead is better."
11-30-2013, 11:46 PM
i will get in a rut sometimes and either be the 'target' hero of the day.. and all shots hit me and all are criticals.

OR.. sometimes my character must obviously have grease on their hand.

in 2 seperate DND games. here were the results.

game 1, female paladin.. in 2 hours I made 8 attack rolls. 7 were critical miss-1's the other simply missed...

game 2, male barbarian, opening of the game.. we are camped, i'm on watch.. I don't wear armor.. have good ac.. heard something.. got up.. so was not prone. goblin worg riders came in.

3 javs tossed. 2 critical, 1 regualr hit.. nocked down 0 hit points. worgs attacked. they get extra dice if you are prone.

another crit.. which by itself would hav ebeen enough to kill me since I was prone.

this was in the first minute of the game...

some days you ar ethe bug.. some the windshied.

i'm waiting for my windshield day.. some day.. Watchmen02
12-01-2013, 05:19 AM
My wife and I were playing LNOE the other night with a couple friends (us 2 playing 4 heroes vs. 2 zombie players) we had something like 3 rounds left on a supply run scenario and we're trying to get heroes back to the house and the one hero in the house out and away from the zombie horde that made their way in. Game progressed as follows: Jake (in the Manor/thunder dome) rolls 1 for movement. Searches instead for miracle item, fights a zombie and loses. Sheriff rolls 1 for movement, shoots and misses with shotgun, rolls out of ammo. Becky rolls 1 for movement, searches. Johnny rolls 1 for movement. Zombie player ended up with shambles, tide of the dead, or something along those lines and Zombie players win with more zed in the house than we can clear in time. I have never seen all heroes roll 1 on every single dice roll in a round. I suppose it happens to all of us from time to time
12-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Die-rolling is not... entirely random:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/That's...is_of_Dice
12-01-2013, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 12:59 AM by samuraitrev.)
(12-01-2013 05:19 AM)Apocalypse Wrote:  My wife and I were playing LNOE the other night with a couple friends (us 2 playing 4 heroes vs. 2 zombie players) we had something like 3 rounds left on a supply run scenario and we're trying to get heroes back to the house and the one hero in the house out and away from the zombie horde that made their way in. Game progressed as follows: Jake (in the Manor/thunder dome) rolls 1 for movement. Searches instead for miracle item, fights a zombie and loses. Sheriff rolls 1 for movement, shoots and misses with shotgun, rolls out of ammo. Becky rolls 1 for movement, searches. Johnny rolls 1 for movement. Zombie player ended up with shambles, tide of the dead, or something along those lines and Zombie players win with more zed in the house than we can clear in time. I have never seen all heroes roll 1 on every single dice roll in a round. I suppose it happens to all of us from time to time

I don't know why but this made me lolZombie17 Especially when the shotgun missed and then got discarded. I've even got tears of laughterZombie17
+1 rep to cheer you up.
12-01-2013, 11:00 PM
It was hilariously sad, I definitely would have conceded right there if I wasn't a "see it through" type of player.
12-02-2013, 03:25 PM
(12-01-2013 06:58 AM)gavindowning Wrote:  Die-rolling is not... entirely random:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/That's...is_of_Dice

neat article, thanks for posting!
12-04-2013, 09:00 PM
LOL! Glad to hear I am not the only one. I may think about picking up a dice tower, but I'm not too sure. I have used them before in games that actually came with them, and they are pretty cool.

Thing is, I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't feel the same to me. For some nerdy reason, I like actually rolling dice... even if it doesn't seem to like me very much. LOL! But... maybe I should give that a try. I'm also considering picking up a supply of my own various types of cool dice. Maybe different dice will like me better. LOL! I doubt it though. I seem to have crappy luck no matter the dice used.

But, I kind of want my own supply of tons of different cooler, flashier looking dice anyway (especially ones that look like they fit well in a zombie and/or horror themed game). So, that could be my excuse to go ahead and start stocking up. LOL!