Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: It doesn't matter if you win or lose. It's taking part that counts.
Strongly disagree. Winning is all that matters. I don't enjoy the game at all if I lose.
Disagree. I must admit I like to win.
Agree. I really don't mind. I'm just happy to play regardless of the result.
Disagree. I am a doormat and enjoy losing on purpose.
Other level. Put in a post.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Win or lose: Does it matter to you?
03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
RE: Win or lose: Does it matter to you?
When it comes to playing with new people I like to have fun and teach them the game. Among friends who already know how to play and have played a few times I an not going to help but I won't be a cutthroat. I don't let people win just to let them win. Dumb. I like losing too ad long as I had fun doing it but...

I must admit that I would love to be a part of PJON's tournament just to test my skill and not feel bad about being totally ruthless.

I like to win. But I have fun losing too.

Through victory my chains are broken.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
I think Emp said it best for me and how I feel. FUN first, Win second.

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
03-08-2012, 02:11 AM
If I love playing, then I guess I just like winning. It's all fun and games at the end of the day.

In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse please do the following:
1. Grab a buddy
2. Grab guns
3. Start shooting
03-10-2012, 10:18 PM
with most board games winning isnt everything to me. last night on earth being the biggest one of them. but when i play card games all i want to do is win.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
I enjoy the ride especially in Games that really create a story during play(LNoE,AToE,AH,DQ(ok everyone losses DQ it's part of the charm),
GoW).If I'm playing a "real war game"I want to win-Damit!!

Still a good game win or lose is it's own reward.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
06-18-2012, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2012 08:09 PM by StayPuft.)
Who doesn't like to win? So of course, I'd like to win. However, with a good board game, that truly doesn't matter, as long as you have fun. For me, Last Night On Earth is a great example of this.

Of course, I'd still like to win, but with this game, I could not care much less. I just love playing!

That said, I also agree with what some others have said. Games are a lot more fun when they are balanced. That is one thing I love about LNOE. It is usually a pretty good balance, and win or lose, everybody gets to have action, and everybody gets to have fun.

It isn't a lot of fun if a board game is crapping all over one person while giving somebody else all the good breaks. For example, I love the game of Life. It had always been one of my all time favorites (until LNOE came around and blew everything else out of the water). However, I don't think I have EVER even ONCE played that game and not had it completely crap all over one player while giving the other nothing but amazing luck. LOL! I mean, it is completely the luck of the spin, and yet somehow it happens EVERY TIME. I still love the game, but honestly it makes it a lot less enjoyable, for both parties.
06-19-2012, 03:10 AM
I... have actually started to play games at a less than totally efficient and win-prone level, myself. As nice as it is to win, the other people I game with were starting to notice and comment on the fact that despite being in a group of 4-6 people, I had about a 60% win rate.

Enjoying the win is one thing, but maintaining the group is quite another, and far more important.
06-19-2012, 06:32 AM
(02-28-2012 10:13 PM)mqstout Wrote:  With LNOE, it's all about the story (moments, chains of events) that unfold during play.

The power of LNoE summed up in one poetic phrase.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
allthough i always like to win , in LNOE i don't care at all, as long as the story goes nice
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Actually, with Last Night On Earth, a game session in which you lose can actually wind up being even more fun than one in which you won. Granted, this game is always a lot of fun. But, as an example, if you have a game where you win fairly quickly (it can happen sometimes) it's of course still fun...

But a game where you lose, but it is hard fought on both sides and takes nearly if not all of the rounds is even more fun.