Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Working on a scenario--any feedback appreciated
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Working on a scenario--any feedback appreciated
This is my first attempt, and I'm relatively new to this game, so if this scenario has already been done better, let me know. My scenario woul be called 'We Found A Cure'. The board would be set up normally. Take out all Townsfolk cards and set them face down in a pile. In the center, put the altar marker (or ooze if you prefer viral zombies). I'm not sure if you would need to find the cure first, with the number tokens, or the evidence cards from the survival deck. The cure could be either the bio gel or cross, book, etc. Next would be to cure a set number of zombies. My thought was if you roll two 1s on any of your fight dice, the zombie was trapped. The hero could not leave the square until all other zombies were killed(can't just run off with a zombie in tow). The hero would have to take the zombie to the center. Any movement that ends not in the center, the zombie can roll to escape, and if so immidiately fight the hero. Once in the center, give up a move to cure the zombie and draw a townsfolk ally. Heroes win if they cure 2-4 zombies.

This is a pretty rough draft, so I appreciate any input. The game is really good at balance with the dots system, what I don't know is time length for objectives. Most games we play almost always come down to the last turn with either side having a chance. I think Flying Frog does a great job at balancing the scenarios out. I don't know if searching for a cure, and having to trap the zombies would take too much time. Any thoughts from the pros?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2012, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 07:19 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Working on a scenario--any feedback appreciated
Cool idea. I'm not a pro but I'll help if I can. Just to clear up some points

Take out all Townsfolk cards and set them face down in a pile.

All of the Townsfolk from the base game and Growing Hunger and Timber Peak? You might be better taking out 6 at random from the Townsfolk you have. Don't use the rest.
I'm not sure if you would need to find the cure first, with the number tokens, or the evidence cards from the survival deck.

Leave that for the Heroes to decide.

My thought was if you roll two 1s on any of your fight dice, the zombie was trapped. The hero could not leave the square until all other zombies were killed(can't just run off with a zombie in tow). The hero would have to take the zombie to the center. Any movement that ends not in the center, the zombie can roll to escape, and if so immidiately fight the hero. Once in the center, give up a move to cure the zombie and draw a townsfolk ally. Heroes win if they cure 2-4 zombies.

I think I know what you're saying here. How about:
1) If a Zombie is beaten in a Fight. And the Hero had any doubles on their fight dice the Hero can chose to...
2) SUBDUE or NUTRALIZE (Thematically think of those long poles with snares at the end around its throat.)
3) The SUBDUED Zombie may not be moved if another Zombie is in its space.
4) If the Hero rolls a 1 for Movement the Zombie gets to attack it's handler Hero in the Fight phase.
5) If the Zombie Wounds the Handler Hero it breaks free.

Heroes Win if they Cure 3 Zombie. 16 Turns. Just some thoughts. Hope this helpsZombie17
11-21-2012, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 08:36 PM by RaidCasto.)
Yeah it helps, thanks Samurai. I wasn't sure if the heroes would have enough turns to search for the cure and then capture zombies. Also, I think the capture roll should be special, because that might be harder than a kill. To keep it fun for the zombie player, I thought each movement until you reach the center, the zombies can roll to escape. Zombie escapes on a 1 or 2--it should be hard to move them, and can then immediately attack the hero. I was thinking the same thing about the pole collars, lol.
11-21-2012, 09:22 PM
I think this sounds like a really cool idea! Thanks for sharing. I have not yet had a chance to play test it, nor am I any expert on balancing the game just yet...

But, I almost wonder if allowing the trapped zombie to roll for escape each time would make it too difficult on the heroes. Maybe better if they can roll for escape if the hero rolls low (say, maybe A 3 or lower) for the movement. Though, maybe that is just me. I don't know.

Either way, I LOVE this idea. Please do share with us when you finish it. You may want to see if you can get a blank template and actually put it on a scenario card.
11-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words Staypuft, I don't have Photoshop yet, so I won't be able to do a card yet, but I'm going to play around with it this weekend. I'm thinking either A. Heroes search for cure, and capture and carry is easier, or B. No searching, and the capture will be much tougher. I'm just really impressed with how many of our scenarios have come down to the final turn, and I don't want to make it too easy, nor difficult.
11-27-2012, 08:47 PM
(11-21-2012 09:33 PM)RaidCasto Wrote:  Thanks for the kind words Staypuft, I don't have Photoshop yet, so I won't be able to do a card yet, but I'm going to play around with it this weekend. I'm thinking either A. Heroes search for cure, and capture and carry is easier, or B. No searching, and the capture will be much tougher. I'm just really impressed with how many of our scenarios have come down to the final turn, and I don't want to make it too easy, nor difficult.

I hear ya! Balancing out your custom scenario is definitely one of the things that takes some planning. You don't want to make it too hard or too easy. You don't want to make it too long, or too short.

Also, for the record, you can find creative ways to get around it even if you don't have Photoshop. It won't look perfect, but it will at least be close enough. I just did it in Word, myself. I just paste in the blank template, then put in my picture, and include text boxes for the titles and stuff. I made sure to download the fonts so it looked as close to the real thing as I could get.
02-20-2013, 08:43 AM
good stuff