Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Workshopping Timber Peak Custom Characters
01-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Workshopping Timber Peak Custom Characters
Since I got my own copy of TP after a year or two of loving LNoE (I don't own the base game), I've been obsessing over it and finally had the chance to have a go at making some custom characters. I've playtested them a little, but I'm looking for some feedback (and if you're up to it, playtesting them yourselves?).

----------------------

HANNAH HALL

[Image: herohannah.jpg]

Considering TP has a Book Store, I just had to bring out a literary type. That said, I don't know if the Special Abilities are quite right. In playtesting, Near-Sighted has worked fine. She's only ended up with a gun a couple times, but it didn't hinder much.

However, I'm a little concerned that Vast Memory may be too powerful. In playtesting, the ability has SEEMED balanced (the ability isn't useful until there's a discard pile, and after that, the opportunities to search plus the 50/50 chance of getting the extra card have seemed fair). But is the ability to search twice too much? Should it be "instead" of the normal search action, or make it so a "random Event" is drawn from the discard pile (preventing recycling of really useful Events)?

Also, I'm not sure if the abilities are complementary - or too disparate (one is the Resource Manager, one focuses - detrimentally - on Ranged Weapons).

TODD SIMON

[Image: herotodd.jpg]

Also, who could resist taking advantage of the Bowling Alley? (As an aside, I really love the building types in TP - just the right level of quirk) So here's Todd. I reckon he's fairly balanced, but I'd like a second opinion.

On the surface, In With A Spare is super-powerful. It's the same as the Killing Blow Upgrade (yet I've been considering scaling it back to only Wounding, not Killing). And playtesting has always seen lucky rolls to where he's been a killing machine. I like it, but is it too strong?

I think that Smoker helps to balance things a little - the -1 to movement can be crippling (if he rolls low movement, he can easily get swamped by zombies - but still has a decent chance of getting out). Yet at the same time, it can be infuriating. Starting with a Lighter seemed fun and thematic - as well as useful, given how Fire is such a key element of TP.

---------

So! I'd love to get some feedback from you hardcore LNoEers!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 05:11 AM
RE: Workshopping Timber Peak Custom Characters
I think these are great. Starting with killing blow seems powerful, but smoker is a good negative to help balance it. Some of the upgrades (such as tough, lucky, and first aid) are abilities that certain heroes always have, so I don't think it's that bad to have one of his abilities to be an upgrade. Just from reading his card and not playtesting at all, he doesn't seem too overpowered to me. I think Hannah's Vast Memory should be used in place of a search, or maybe make her spend exp. to use it in addition to a search.

There are some awesome custom characters out there, but what I like about these is that they are generic town characters that are the kind of thing FFP would do. I think they fit in well with the others.
Find all posts by this user
01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
RE: Workshopping Timber Peak Custom Characters
I am just seeing them now, so I haven't play tested them, but I am loving them! I especially love how well the cards came out. I love the use of Will Wheaton. LOL! Is the other one Felicia Day?

I actually really like the special rules you've given them. I think they are really creative and cool.
Find all posts by this user