Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
World Cup Draw
12-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Big Grin World Cup Draw
What a great group for England. But, I'm not going to get carried away like I usually do. I'm going to wait to see if we get to the semi's before I start believing we can win it. Yeh! sure like that's going to happen. Like every other English fan around I'm already starting to believe the hype that England are going to win it.
What do our American cousins think about the biggest sporting event in the world? You have a good chance of finishing second in the group.Zombie03
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
RE: World Cup Draw
that's funny. for the biggest sporting event in the world I have no idea what you're talking about Watchmen02
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2009, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2009 01:06 PM by Old Dwarf.)
:rolleyes: Well Soccer is still mostly under the radar
for the US.My nephew in law is a Brit so I do
hear about it (in fact I will today as their coming
over for DinnerZombie03 )but to me it's just a bunch of guys
in short pants chasing a ball:P.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
12-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Personally, I couldn't give a toss about the World Cup as I am not into football.

You know, Football so called because you use your feet as opposed to picking the ball up and running with it.

We have a game over here where you pick the ball up and run with it, it's called Rugby played by men who don't wear a lot of padding and helmets.

At least, the World Cup involves teams from around the world unlike a certain Word Series I could mention.

The above comments have been brought to you by the Campaign for World Harmony! Zombie03 Zombie17 Zombie17
12-06-2009, 02:51 PM
:P You imply that the Yankees are not "true"
World Champions :rolleyes:.

Actually it is rather weird,Baseball does have
a following in other countries..well Cuba & Japan
at least but the World Series is the US + Canada.

As for Rugby...I'm not sure were brawl & sport interface,
it sure makes American Football look tame.

OD

12-07-2009, 06:07 AM
deadandwalking Wrote:that's funny. for the biggest sporting event in the world I have no idea what you're talking about Watchmen02

Oh dear! Dead, you walked straight into my trap. I'm afraid you set yourself up as the stereotypical American, who knows nothing about what goes on in the rest of the world.:rolleyes:
You may not know anything about it but the rest of the world does, 204 national teams began playing in qualifiers 2 years ago, to get to the finals in South Africa. The 32 remaining teams now play in the tournament which will last over a month. The winner will truly be the World Champions.
The USA have qualified, it's a real shame that they are not supported by most of their own countrymen. I could never watch an entire cricket game but as a "spots fan" (Americanism), and patriot, I still watch out for the score and like to see them winning, not that they do much winning.Insane19
12-07-2009, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2009 06:45 AM by Cymrusaint.)
Old Dwarf Wrote::P You imply that the Yankees are not "true"
World Champions :rolleyes:.

Actually it is rather weird,Baseball does have
a following in other countries..well Cuba & Japan
at least but the World Series is the US + Canada.

As for Rugby...I'm not sure were brawl & sport interface,
it sure makes American Football look tame.

OD

Most authorities list the start of the World Series as 1903, as baseball outside of North America was not equal to that of North America at the time, the winners of the championships were by default the best baseball team in the world. Although over 100 years have past the rest of the world still doesn't give a toss about baseball, so as stated earlier, by default the Yankees are World Champions. Unlike the team who wins the football, a game played with the feet, World Cup they will be true World Champions!!!!!!!!!

As for rugby, well there are 2 distinct codes. The one is full of intricate little rules which slows the game down and causes numerous penalties. There is an awful lot of kicking the ball high into the air, while the crowd clap. Hence the name "the kick and clap brigade". It is a very tough game , but basically it is shit!!!! This is called rugby union and in England is played by snobs.
The other, the working class game, is called rugby league and is fast, tough and exciting. The tackling in rugby league is as hard as anything you will see in an american football match, but the players don't wear padding. I know this from bitter experience, as I was a very promising player until I got my knee smashed at the age of 19, and that was the end of my career.Insane19

This seems that I am very anti- American sport, but that could not be further from the truth as I like American football a lot, and have just finished watching two and a half games.
Over here in the UK we get 2 matches on SKY on a Sunday evening today it was the Jaguars v Texans and NY Giants v Cowboys. Only saw bits of the Giants game as I am working nights, and I have to do some workZombie03. But, I was able to sit down later and watch the Cardinals v Vikings game on Channel 5.
Could anyone tell me why a game played with the hands is called football? Serious question I'm not being funny.
12-07-2009, 07:02 AM
The US Team has a few supporters on US soil. Just a few. It gets lonely sometimes.

---------
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Big Grin RE: World Cup Draw
The_Sultan Wrote:The US Team has a few supporters on US soil. Just a few. It gets lonely sometimes.

Good for you Sultan. How do you think USA will do in the finals? I think you have a good chance of finishing second in the group. Sorry, I don't think you will beat England, but you could certainly beat the other two. The chances are you would play German then in the last 16, tough one, but they're not the team they were, I think you could give them a run for their moneyZombie03
12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Whats really funny when my Brit nephew in law came
over he wanted to watch the Eagles Football Game:P

OD