Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
World Cup Draw
12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
RE: World Cup Draw
Yeah, I do say that I will check the final scores out of curiosity, but I wouldn't even know where to look to find a soccer game on TV....

It's just not a sport that has caught on with mainstream Americans. Now, if you want to talk proper American Football, I could go on for hours....

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
supervike Wrote:Yeah, I do say that I will check the final scores out of curiosity, but I wouldn't even know where to look to find a soccer game on TV....

It's just not a sport that has caught on with mainstream Americans. Now, if you want to talk proper American Football, I could go on for hours....

I'm sorry, but you can't call American Football, proper football. There are 300 million Americans who call that football, while the other 6 billion people in the world call football football.

But, saying that, American Football is a great game. There are a few of us over here who like to watch it, it is propably on a par with real football in the States.
I first got into it in the early 80's, when channel 4 started showing a game each week. Back then Washington Redskins were a good team so that is who I started supporting. They won the first Super Bowl I saw against the Miami Dolphins.
Unfortunately they haven't been very good for quite a while, and are never shown on the TV. I always watch out for their score though. I can't believe they lost to the Saints last night, they had it won, that must have been one hell of a game.
Find all posts by this user
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Well, fair enough....But I don't deal with the other 6 billion folks on a daily basis! So, I can make the concession of calling it American Football on an international forum, but in my real life, it's just FOOTBALL!

And not to start and international incident here, but personally I find Football (soccer) boring. There is not doubt that it is a grueling, atheletic sport that requires serious skill, but the only part that is remotely enjoyable is when a team actually scores a goal...the rest of the long game is just watching random people try to kick the ball.

To be fair, baseball is also rather boring. It lends itself well to a radio broadcast, but it doesn't make for compelling television. I like the sport, but it takes a different mindset to watch it. But like soccer, I can appreciate it as its a sport because anyone, Regardless of size or strength, can excel at it.

American Gridiron has so much more, in terms of strategy, athleticism, and drama. Of course, I'm very biased as American Football was marketed very well to the kids of the 70's (which is why it is so damn popular now). But, the game has so many levels of interest to me, from the playcalling, to the overall strategies. To be honest, Football is more of a religion to me than the local church is....

And yes, the Redskins totally flubbed that game. They went from 'sure victory' to 'imminent defeat' in just a span of 30 seconds....Quite a shame.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user