Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
You Know It's Gonna Be Bad When...
06-17-2018, 03:38 PM
You Know It's Gonna Be Bad When...
So I played a solitaire game of LNOE this morning. Did "Defend the Manor House", and I ended up with Jenny, Sheriff Anderson, Billy, and Father Joseph as my heroes. And thanks to some luck, everybody ended up with weapons thanks to the free card drawn at the start of the game for this scenario. Fire Axe, Dynamite, Baseball Bat, Revolver. So I'm thinking that, right away, things are going to be good.

Wrong.

I spawn 8 zombies to start, set the sun tracker on 17, and draw cards. I pull a pair of "My God, They've Taken The..." and proceed to roll both the High School and the Police Station. Sheriff Anderson is ok as there's only 1 free space, but Billy is hosed. Poor kid dies on the first Zombie turn as he is surrounded and only has a baseball bat. 3 zombies pounce on him during their move, and he goes down with naught but a whimper.

It didn't get much better from there. I ran out of zombies after the second zombie turn, I think only 3 total zombies got killed during the 6 turns the game lasted. I got 10 zombies into the manor house on turn 6, and the heroes couldn't wipe any of them out. But at least no other heroes technically died, even though they lost the game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2018, 03:49 PM
RE: You Know It's Gonna Be Bad When...
Great post! One of the things I love about this game is that it is no cake walk for the Heroes. I love a good challenge. Gimme a 40/60 win percentage and the game becomes interesting. Flip it around and people lose interest.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
06-20-2018, 02:56 PM
(06-17-2018 03:38 PM)Popestar Wrote:  . . . I pull a pair of "My God, They've Taken The..." and proceed to roll both the High School and the Police Station. . . . Poor kid dies on the first Zombie turn as he is surrounded and only has a baseball bat. 3 zombies pounce on him during their move, and he goes down with naught but a whimper.

I thought "My God, They've Taken The..." says something like Zombies placed here may not move this turn. Always choose a starting space next to a door so you do not get surrounded and then this card will not instantly kill you.
06-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Oh, you are right! I totally missed that when I played! Not that poor Billy was going to have much of a chance anyhow. When you're playing Solitaire you sometimes gloss over stuff due to having your focus torn between multiple priorities. At least, that's what happens to me!
06-20-2018, 04:33 PM
(06-20-2018 03:44 PM)Popestar Wrote:  Oh, you are right! I totally missed that when I played! Not that poor Billy was going to have much of a chance anyhow. When you're playing Solitaire you sometimes gloss over stuff due to having your focus torn between multiple priorities. At least, that's what happens to me!

Been there and done that with the same exact card. That is how I knew.

I just hope that I make equal mistakes favoring both sides to balance it out.

So a question for you, why does everyone say they lose when the zombies win? Aren't you playing that team also?
06-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Well, I stated the the heroes lost the game, not that I did. It might just be the general perception that board games are mostly played to beat the bad guys, not get beaten by them (even if the so-called 'bad guys' are being played by someone other than random cards or ineffective AI). At least, that's how I see it.