Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your thoughts on "Auto-Spawn" in some scenarios?
07-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Your thoughts on "Auto-Spawn" in some scenarios?
So, finally trying out "Revenge of the Dead," got me to thinking about the zombie auto-spawn feature of certain scenarios. Having only the base game so far, I know Defend the Manor House has that, and so does the supplement I got, "Revenge of the Dead." What does everybody think of that feature?

Personally, I have to admit I am not a big fan of it. I mean, I guess it can be cool for certain scenarios, especially as it is something differnet, but I'm just not a big fan. I find that this seems to tip the balance too far in the zombies' favor. I think that is one of the things that helps balance the game. As the zombie player, it is possible that you may go several rounds without getting to put any more zombies out there.

With auto-spawn, you always get to put new zombies out unless you already have the max on the board. For that matter, with auto-spawn, you tend to eventually have them all on the board at some point. LOL!

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't ruin the fun AT ALL. I love this game and enjoy the heck out of it even if the side I am playing gets completely massacred. But, I just kind of think things are more fairly balanced without it.

What does everybody else think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2012, 06:51 AM
RE: Your thoughts on "Auto-Spawn" in some scenarios?
A scenario like Revenge of the Dead is highly dependant on this feature to keep up pace with Heroes as their job is to escape from zombies. So I think auto-spawn has its purpose but surely it depends upon the scenario. FFP has done a great job creating tight and tough scenarios for both sides and has thrown in auto spawn when needed to keep the Heroes busy. However, there's no question that auto spawn is an extremely strong ability often leading to a zombie win. If auto spawn seems to ruin a game for you, I can't see why you shouldn't let yourself experiment with a less strong ability. As I recall it both GH and SOTF has it listed with a dot cost, so using the dot system to tip the balance a bit in the Heroes favour could be one way to do it.

Is there any scenario in particular where auto spawn has been too much to handle for the Heroes?

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2012, 08:08 PM
(07-31-2012 06:51 AM)scarydk Wrote:  A scenario like Revenge of the Dead is highly dependant on this feature to keep up pace with Heroes as their job is to escape from zombies. So I think auto-spawn has its purpose but surely it depends upon the scenario. FFP has done a great job creating tight and tough scenarios for both sides and has thrown in auto spawn when needed to keep the Heroes busy. However, there's no question that auto spawn is an extremely strong ability often leading to a zombie win. If auto spawn seems to ruin a game for you, I can't see why you shouldn't let yourself experiment with a less strong ability. As I recall it both GH and SOTF has it listed with a dot cost, so using the dot system to tip the balance a bit in the Heroes favour could be one way to do it.

Is there any scenario in particular where auto spawn has been too much to handle for the Heroes?

In my limited experience so far, any time there is zombie auto-spawn, it has basically become a massacre, with the zombies kicking some hero butt.

That said, don't get me wrong. For the scenarios that call for zombie auto-spawn, I would never consider removing it. I think it is part of what makes them unique. Nor did I say it makes the scenario less fun. As I've said many times, I LOVE this game whether I'm getting massacred, completely destroying my opponent's characters, or having a balanced game that could go either way.

I'm just sharing that I think it is definitely one feature that tips the balance a bit much. Another thing I forgot to mention... With auto-spawn, it doesn't seem as bad for the zombie player to lose a zombie here and there, as they are guaranteed they will be getting more at the end of the round.

The DOTS system would probably be a great way to balance auto-spawn out. I don't have GH yet, so I wouldn't know. But, maybe giving the heroes an equal exchange would help.

Again, don't misunderstand. I don't dislike auto-spawn (and it doesn't ruin the fun even one tiny bit), I'm just not a huge fan. I wouldn't want to remove it, in fact, I actually kind of think it would be good added to DZD as this would ensure there are always enough zombies for the heroes to attempt to kill.
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
When you play zombies with grave weapons, you'll have a hole new perspective on auto spawn.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Like yourself StayPuft, I only have the base game, along with the "Revenge of the Dead", "Zombie Pillage" and "Advance Abilities "supplements, But I'm very new to the game only have 20-30 games under my belt, as atm Heroes seem to be winning pretty much every game. I've posted previously and been told this will change as I /We get better and more used to the cards etc. But until then I've been trying to balance things out so it'll be more fun.

I personally think it should be hard for the Heroes to win, and Zombies should win most of the time or at least take a good few Heroes down with them.

I have been playing the "Revenge of the Dead" scenario solo for the last week or so trying to balance things out, since playing on my own this should take skill level out of it, I'm currently playing with both the "Revenge of the Dead" and "Zombie Pillage" supplement cards in the Zed's deck and neither in the Heroes deck, I also play Zombies start with one random "Advance Ability" and gain another on every 2nd Hero killed. Last nights game the Zed's killed 4 of the Heroes, the last being killed with 1 turn left.

I beleive Zed's lost mainly on the luck of the Heroes, I seemed to be really lucky with their die rolls, and when ever I got a decent Zed card out the Heroes could cancel it, also I didn't get any of the cool cards out that the supplemtns give me, ie auto moving after spawning.

In short I for one am all for the Auto Spawn of the zombies, and am playing a house rule of every scenario has it until Zed's start to pull it back.

If anyone is out there wondering how even when playing myself and with how I "buffed" the Zed's they still lost....
1. I discarded Zed cards every turn. I always had at least 1 card that would not of been usable that go.
2. I played every Zed event as I got it if applicable to further cycle my hand.
3. I singled out solo Heroes as much as possible
4. I formed a wave of Zed's to try to force Heroes into a single half/section of the board to make the most of my Zed's movement.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand Binary, and those that don't
08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
(07-30-2012 09:48 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  So, finally trying out "Revenge of the Dead," got me to thinking about the zombie auto-spawn feature of certain scenarios. Having only the base game so far, I know Defend the Manor House has that, and so does the supplement I got, "Revenge of the Dead." What does everybody think of that feature?

If you actually want a cutthroat bloodbath style of game, auto spawn rocks. Though bear in mind it can also be balanced out pretty effectively on the Hero side with things like the number of start cards and numerous abilities in other expansions of the game.

We use auto-spawn selectively in our game, but it certainly has it's uses. We mix it up, and that to me is one the great features of this great game.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi. i am a HUGE fan of autospawn. Yes, i can go 3 or more turns with out spawning any Zombies. Yes, i can even do it consistantly. yeah, i can roll a 4 with 2 dice and have 5 zombies on the board, consistantly.

Autospawn is a very useful tool i will always go for. I also always want to have Grave Weapon Zombies, which use Autospawn to help generate them.

Someone mentioned the Dot system, here is an easy chart. Even if you dont have all the expansions.

Dot system refrence
http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ence-Chart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its under lnoe rules/ lnoe rules index

Autospawn rocks !!!

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I definitely a big fan of the auto-spawn. It balances itself with dice rolls. More often than not I'll roll a 5 or 6 one turn, then roll a 1 the next. It adds tension to the game.
08-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I like the Auto-Spawn features in the scenarios in which it is features. Zombie Apocalpypse comes to mind. A great scenario, that one.

Defend the Manor House is fun as well. Revenge of the Dead I've only played once, and did not like. I strongly disagree with the majority that it's tipped in the zombie players favour.

I've not experimented that much with DOT rules as a whole and the few times I've done it, I've concluded that the only scenarios I'll probably ever add any DOT rules onto are the base game ones, where aren't already any special rules.

For instance, adding three dots to each side on Escape in the Truck is an easier way to balance stuff than adding to, for instance, It Fell From the Sky, which already has a variety of rules added onto it.
08-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Hmm... I have been working on a guide for some... years, Im afraid, and was actually thinking about which dot rules would fit which scenarios. In some of the scenarios, definetely autospawn is over the top, but in other scenarios it works like a charm. It also depends a lot on what the heroes get instead. Autospawn vs. Survival decks might be a bad idea, while autospawn vs. extra cards could balance more.

I think Ill go start a thread Zombie17

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]