Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: I backed Zombicide: Black Plague on Kickstarter!
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Zombicide: Black Plague
12-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Zombicide: Black Plague
Just curious if any of you jumped on Z:BP. I hear we are going to receive the base game by Christmas!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2015, 07:22 PM
RE: Zombicide: Black Plague
I did. My base game is supposedly being delivered to me today. I am actually kind of excited about the fact that this is a standalone game instead of expanding on the original. Believe it or not, despite the new game coming soon, my group and I have yet to even touch Zombicide Season 3 even though many of us have it. They just added SO much in Season 3 that it complicated things and kind of turned us off from trying it. Nobody was really motivated enough to learn all of the new stuff because we already love the game as is.

So, I think the sort of sequel/prequel version was a great idea. This way, they still were able to add new stuff, but without it just feeling like it is bogging down the game with even more complications. Can't wait to get to play this..... though I certainly wish my group and I could play Season 3 as well, even if just at least to get the chance to experience it.
12-21-2015, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 02:06 PM by alderdust.)
I got mine in the mail on Friday....I am hoping I do not have the French Rulebook. I am super excited about the rule change on the ranged attacks.
01-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Got mine shortly before Christmas and it has the English rulebook! Yah!

We've got 4 games in so far (not counting the tutorial Quest 0 Watchmen02

I've never played Zombicide so this is all new to me and so far I'm loving it. Love the sense of dread and desperation that builds as horde after horde comes at you and they split and split and spawn and spawn...and the Necromancers do their thing.

So far without fail we have drawn an Abomination in the first 5 - 10 cards. That makes things challenging and adds to the puzzle.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
01-08-2016, 07:11 PM
My group got a session in recently. Only once so far. I definitely dig a few of the rule changes, but definitely DO NOT dig one..... the rule change to opening doors. That ruined my entire experience this first go-around and I honestly didn't enjoy the game one bit. In the original, if you have an item that can open doors, you can open doors automatically. Now, you have to roll. I get that it maybe makes things more thematic (maybe you try to open a door but fail and have to try again) but as a board game, at least from my experience, it didn't play well.

Doesn't help that, for some reason I will never understand, dice frigging hate me. I can't understand it. No matter what game I play, no matter what dice I use, somehow I always roll terribly. Dice are supposed to be pretty random, so it really makes no damn sense, but it is what it is. And, honestly, as much as I love Zombicide, that has always been one of my biggest complaints about this game....

It can be AWESOME when you get some great weapons, have lucky rolls, etc. The problem is, if you get stuck with crap for weapons and roll like me, you wind up having a terrible time the whole game and not really enjoying yourself. And, Hell, if that happens here or there, it's not such a big deal. $h*t happens, as they say. But, when it seems like every other session is like that it stops being so fun.

That's one thing I love about LNOE. Sure, those epically horrible games CAN happen, but it is much more rare. I've played that game A LOT and I can count on one hand the number of times we've had a game that just flat out sucked for somebody. I've lost count of how many times we've played Zombicide and have somebody have a crappy experience the entire time.

I love the game, but after all these tweaks and expansions, you'd think that would have gotten better. Still, that won't deter me from picking it up from time to time. It is definitely one of my favorites.
01-09-2016, 09:56 AM
I let base Zombicide go in my estate sale. It did a nice job with
giving the shambling Zombie Horde effect but never really hooked
me in.

Plus I hated the design of the city board with its bathrooms opening
on the streets . I also tend to be a completest & wanted to avoid that
yawning money pit.

That said I never realized ZBP was a stand alone Game so I'll check out.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-15-2016, 09:19 PM
Yeah, it wasn't Zombicide that did me in, but it was another Cool Mini game the broke me of that same obsession with collecting everything. Sometimes the extras are great, but I think often times Cool Mini throws a bunch of extra crap into the game just for the sake of having extra crap and taking more of your money. It was Rum and Bones that finally ended that for me. When that massive box came, I found it irritating rather than exciting.

I will still collect everything for some games when they are ones where I really want everything (for example, I did that with Ghostbusters: the Board Game), but thanks to Cool Mini, I am much pickier now.
01-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Z:BP, the base game at least, is just WAY too easy. Adding armour and the super-duper Inferno spell is too much. I've played through each scenario once and don't fancy doing it again until the extras arrive.
01-22-2016, 08:59 PM
My group did get to play once more. I played as a different character and was able to have a much better experience. I've only, thus far, played Black Plague twice, so I can't really comment to how easy or difficult I feel it is.

Still, that first time I played, I would most certainly NOT agree it was too easy. I did NOT have a fun experience with that first play. Not even one of those so difficult it was frustrating but also fun type of experiences. More one of those I constantly got to basically do nothing, and every time I finally tried, my rolls failed miserably type games that makes you ponder selling the game and never playing it again. Not really much fun.

Still, game two for me was much better, so I'll at least give it a few more tries... Especially when we get the new goodies.
01-25-2016, 05:05 PM
(01-08-2016 07:11 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  ...but definitely DO NOT dig one..... the rule change to opening doors...Now, you have to roll...

Just checking because it's one of the mistakes we made, but were you rolling the correct amount of dice? We were rolling just one die to open doors for like the first three scenarios and the game was kicking our asses - and was very frustrating banging on a door and burning actions - especially when you're trapped in a Vault. Then, I don't know, while perusing the rules again one of the guys goes "Holy crap, we're idiots! We're supposed to roll the same number of dice as we would for melee!" Well, that turned things around quite a bit and made doors not so frustrating. Plus we discovered the Axe Watchmen02

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...