Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Zombie Apocolypse, How bad could it really be?
06-08-2013, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 04:09 AM by MoonSylver.)
RE: Zombie Apocolypse, How bad could it really be?
Here's some of the observations I used to make over at HPOTD back in the day when the subject would come up:

Let's assume for a minute that the zed's aren't going away anytime soon. As in; if we can accept the premise that something reanimates a dead guy & makes him get up, walk around, & eat people, then it isn't too far fetched to assume this "whatever" may have made any other number of biological changes to facilitate their long term "survival" such as: rendering them "unpalatable" to insect/animal predation, changing the composition of their fluids or tissues in ways to resist freezing/dehydration in extremes, to slow decomposition, etc.

Now, if we're assuming this is a NOTLD style "anyone who dies gets up & kills" scenario here is a look at how many of them there would be, JUST BASED ON CURRENT DEATH RATES:

1.78 deaths per second
107 deaths per minute
6,390 deaths per hour
153,000 deaths per day
56.0 million deaths per year

Now, I point out CURRENT as even if we were to suppose that, say, one in every three or four of them manages to bite someone before being put down, that still leads to a somewhat geometric progression ( 1 becomes 2, 2 become 4, 4 become 8, etc.)

Add also all the deaths that the LIVING would cause. Rioting. Looting. Settling scores. Accidental shootings. etc. Then add in with all of that going on how likely various utilities & services would collapse. Everything from power, water, sewage, to shipments of food to grocers. Starvation, lack of medical services, disease, etc. contributes even more deaths.

How quickly we determined what was happening & how to appropriately to react would be a factor. If we figured it out quickly & started putting them down en mass right away it could probably be contained before we reached the tipping point. But given how slowly we react many times to NATURAL disasters that WE KNOW ARE COMING, such an UNNATURAL disaster, & one that would be so hard for many to even accept WAS HAPPENING, &divisive on many moral & ethical levels could lead to a major delay in formulating an appropriate response & enacting it. If that happened to the point their numbers overwhelmed us, then it would be too late.

Extinction level event? No. Collapse of society, possibly even civilization? Maybe? Possibly? Probably?

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 04:36 AM by friskers96.)
Your the man.... Never thought about the daily death angle before... Guess you really don't ever think about how many people in the world kick the bucket everyday.. I just had to read that response to my wife, she thinks I'm insane when I talk about things like this. I was like "See! I'm not the only one who thinks and talks about this stuff!".

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2013, 04:16 AM
(06-08-2013 04:27 AM)friskers96 Wrote:  Your the man.... Never thought about the daily death angle before... Guess you really don't ever think about how many people in the world kick the bucket everyday.. I just had to read that response to my wife, she thinks I'm insane when I talk about things like this. I was like "See! I'm not the only one who thinks and talks about this stuff!".

Given that I've been a big fan of the genre since the early 80's, I've had a lot of time to think about it. Watchmen02 I thought a lot about how such a scenario could play out plausibly, in order to end up like we see in films like "Day of the Dead".

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
Find all posts by this user