Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Zombie / Martian / Hero scenario: Franz-pocalypse
03-18-2012, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2012 02:41 AM by Franzoid.)
Finally got to try this out last night, it turned out really well! So here it is:

Scenario: Franz-pocalypse!

Turns: 16

Special Rules: Zombie Horde (21), Zombies Auto-spawn, Hero Starting cards (2), Free Search Markers, Well Stocked Buildings.

Set-up: This scenario uses the open field middle board, with a martian ship in each corner of the middle board. Heroes start in a random building if their starting location isn't present.

Objectives:
Zombies: destroy 6 buildings
Martians: deploy 3 martian pylons
Heroes: stop the other teams from achieving their objectives for 16 turns

Objectives explained

Zombies: To destroy a building, you need to have a zombie or fire in each space of the building, as well as no heroes or martians in the building after all zombie movement. This allows heroes or martians to bait zombies out of a building using zombie hunger.
After a building has been destroyed, any zombies inside the building are removed, and no model can enter the building for any reason.

Martians: To deploy a martian pylon in a space, the martian player must begin the turn with a saucer and a full martian pack on an indoor space (it takes a whole team to assemble the bits the saucer beams down). There can only be one pylon per building.

Destroying pylons: The pylons can be shot at. They have 4 wounds, and anything that 'kills' them just does 2 wounds. They can also be attacked in hand to hand by heroes providing there are no martians on the space. They roll however many dice they normally would in a fight, and can use hand weapons to change the results if applicable. Any roll of a 6 wounds a pylon. Zombies can't attack the pylons, but if a pylon is in a building they destroy then the pylon is also destroyed.

Heroes: Heroes lose 'heroes replenish' after their fourth hero is replaced. Even if a player loses their last hero, they don't get a new one. Take care of your heroes, people. The heroes could theoretically win even if every last one is wiped out, provided the zombies and martains do not achieve their goals.

Other stuff:
* The Zard beast doesn't need doubles to wound zombies in this scenario. The first time my group had a zombie/zard beast fight it was very lame because the zard beast took forever to kill a single zombie.
* As normal, if the LNOE heroes are used they get an extra starting card, meaning they start with 3 cards each instead of two.
* This scenario does not end after four heroes die. It only ends after 16 turns, or 6 buildings are destroyed, or 3 pylons are set up.

My thoughts on it:
I really like the idea of the 3-way game, but the straight-up points for killing scenario from the rulebook can lead to some really quick games when zombies swarm a single space. The idea to give everyone objectives is an effort to combat this flaw. When my group played, the zombies smashed down 5 buildings, and there were a few points where the martains seemed like they were going to win. When we played, the pylons could just be 'killed' so every time they got a pylon built, some jerk hero would just throw some dynamite in and blow everything up. The only thing my group would have changed that instead of killing pylons just destroying them, we think kills should just do two wounds to them. Only 3 heroes died, and they did manage to win it in the end. Everyone had lots of fun, and it really did seem like an apocalyptic scenario because of the smaller board size, and more models than the rulebook scenario.

Thematically, the martains need to set up 3 pylons to triangulate coordinates for something onimous sounding, just make something up. In this game the martian player was "POWERING THE GENESIS DEVICE MYAAH!"

The zombies are smashing buildings down, as zombies are wont to do. If the debris from exactly 6 buildings are in the air, the martains have calculated that this will interrupt the signals from their pylons, and the heroes will break and run.

The heroes... well dey jus' have it wuff. Poor guys.

Any comments? Questions? Let me know if anyone tries it and how it goes!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2012, 11:47 PM
RE: Zombie / Martian / Hero scenario: Franz-pocalypse
(03-18-2012 10:48 PM)Franzoid Wrote:  Finally got to try this out last night, it turned out really well! So here it is:

Scenario: Franz-pocalypse!

Turns: 16

Special Rules: Zombie Horde (21), Zombies Auto-spawn, Hero Starting cards (2), Free Search Markers, Well Stocked Buildings.

Set-up: This scenario uses the open field middle board, with a martian ship in each corner of the middle board. Heroes start in a random building if their starting location isn't present.

Objectives:
Zombies: destroy 6 buildings
Martians: deploy 3 martian pylons
Heroes: stop the other teams from achieving their objectives for 16 turns

Objectives explained

Zombies: To destroy a building, you need to have a zombie or fire in each space of the building, as well as no heroes or martians in the building after all zombie movement. This allows heroes or martians to bait zombies out of a building using zombie hunger.
After a building has been destroyed, any zombies inside the building are removed, and no model can enter the building for any reason.

Martians: To deploy a martian pylon in a space, the martian player must begin the turn with a saucer and a full martian pack on an indoor space (it takes a whole team to assemble the bits the saucer beams down). There can only be one pylon per building.

Destroying pylons: The pylons can be shot at. They have 4 wounds, and anything that 'kills' them just does 2 wounds. They can also be attacked in hand to hand by heroes providing there are no martians on the space. They roll however many dice they normally would in a fight, and can use hand weapons to change the results if applicable. Any roll of a 6 wounds a pylon. Zombies can't attack the pylons, but if a pylon is in a building they destroy then the pylon is also destroyed.

Heroes: Heroes lose 'heroes replenish' after their fourth hero is replaced. Even if a player loses their last hero, they don't get a new one. Take care of your heroes, people. The heroes could theoretically win even if every last one is wiped out, provided the zombies and martains do not achieve their goals.

Other stuff:
* The Zard beast doesn't need doubles to wound zombies in this scenario. The first time my group had a zombie/zard beast fight it was very lame because the zard beast took forever to kill a single zombie.
* As normal, if the LNOE heroes are used they get an extra starting card, meaning they start with 3 cards each instead of two.

My thoughts on it:
I really like the idea of the 3-way game, but the straight-up points for killing scenario from the rulebook can lead to some really quick games when zombies swarm a single space. The idea to give everyone objectives is an effort to combat this flaw. When my group played, the zombies smashed down 5 buildings, and there were a few points where the martains seemed like they were going to win. When we played, the pylons could just be 'killed' so every time they got a pylon built, some jerk hero would just throw some dynamite in and blow everything up. The only thing my group would have changed that instead of killing pylons just destroying them, we think kills should just do two wounds to them. Only 3 heroes died, and they did manage to win it in the end. Everyone had lots of fun, and it really did seem like an apocalyptic scenario because of the smaller board size, and more models than the rulebook scenario.

Thematically, the martains need to set up 3 pylons to triangulate coordinates for something onimous sounding, just make something up. In this game the martian player was "POWERING THE GENESIS DEVICE MYAAH!"

The zombies are smashing buildings down, as zombies are wont to do. If the debris from exactly 6 buildings are in the air, the martains have calculated that this will interrupt the signals from their pylons, and the heroes will break and run.

The heroes... well dey jus' have it wuff. Poor guys.

Any comments? Questions? Let me know if anyone tries it and how it goes!

Heroes replinish after 4 makes no sense as scenarios end after 4 death anyways ;p

Heroes get remembered. Legends never die.
03-19-2012, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2012 02:43 AM by Franzoid.)
In this one it doesn't end after 4 heroes die, because zombies and martians still have to compete with each other. It really is just like they get 4 'lives' and then after that when you lose a hero, you don't get a new one.

I edited the main post with that note in 'other stuff' to make sure it's clear. Thanks!
06-24-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't get the replenish part, does this mean that there are 4 heroes at the start with a potential 4 more to spawn (in case of hero death), but after that, no more?
06-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Wow! That sounds both epic and awesome! I will definitely have to give that a try when I get Invasion From Outer Space.

For the record, I may be able to clear up the confusion. Though, Franzoid will definitely have to confirm.

But, my understanding is simply this:

The heroes DO get to take advantage of Hero Replenish (meaning if your hero dies, you get a new hero) until four heroes have died. Then, if their hero dies, that is it. Is that the gist of it?

My question for clarification:

So, say one poor schlub has terrible luck. He/she has their hero die literally four times. In other words, ONE person has had four heroes die. The other heroe player(s) are still on his/her/their original heroes. Does this now mean that Hero Replenish ends, and if their hero dies, they are out?

OR

Does it mean that, say Player A has his/her hero die. He/she then gets a new hero. Then, that is it for Player A? If Player A dies again, they are just out of the game?

In other words, is it more so a rule of 1 Hero Replenish per hero player, or is it literally just a total of 4 for the whole team?
05-09-2014, 08:23 AM
It's probably a combined total of 4 Heroes from all players.
05-14-2014, 05:42 PM
I read it as: total Hero Replenish Pool of 8 Heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk