Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Zombie State
12-26-2010, 11:24 PM
RE: Zombie State
Nice find, thanks for sharing it. Seems less like a game I'd like... but I'll likely get it anyway... Yeah I'm a zombie whore... LOL
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2011, 06:56 PM
My brother in law got me LNoE with a bunch of expansions and this game. Haven't played it yet, but looking forward to giving it a try. My regular game group is not all over world-domination games, though, so not sure how well it will go over.
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the youtube link, looked for a video review of this game but did not find any. Although I'm a fan of zombie theme, this is probably not a game for me. Want little more action instead of resource collecting and building. I guess ill skip this game. If no one can convince me that this is a really fun game. Watchmen02

/Cimex

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.
02-06-2011, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2011 08:27 PM by blutch75.)
Well, here is another video review, that correspond exactly to my opinion on this game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/386/z...ead-steroi
I've played 4 different times yet, and i've really enjoyed it ; But this will definitly appeal to everybody, and has nothing in commun with Last night on earth ( well, except zombies of course ).
I like this game, as it really give the feeling of fighting aginst all odds, and that the virus is spreading all over the world. That's a desperate fight.
Mecanism by themselfs are good, ever if it lacks more interactivity between players. But at the same time, i understand that in this type of bad situation, you don't really cares about your neighborhoods. So, taht fits to the theme... you are trying to save your skin after all. The only drawback for me is that the components are very old school... and i find them very unappealing.
But if you can go over it, then it's a really gret game.
Btw, i'm really planning of redoing the art of the cards, and that should definitly solve this problem for me.
Definitly a game to try if you are a Zombie fan...
02-25-2011, 06:02 PM
(02-06-2011 08:27 PM)blutch75 Wrote:  Well, here is another video review, that correspond exactly to my opinion on this game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/386/z...ead-steroi
I've played 4 different times yet, and i've really enjoyed it ; But this will definitly appeal to everybody, and has nothing in commun with Last night on earth ( well, except zombies of course ).
I like this game, as it really give the feeling of fighting aginst all odds, and that the virus is spreading all over the world. That's a desperate fight.
Mecanism by themselfs are good, ever if it lacks more interactivity between players. But at the same time, i understand that in this type of bad situation, you don't really cares about your neighborhoods. So, taht fits to the theme... you are trying to save your skin after all. The only drawback for me is that the components are very old school... and i find them very unappealing.
But if you can go over it, then it's a really gret game.
Btw, i'm really planning of redoing the art of the cards, and that should definitly solve this problem for me.
Definitly a game to try if you are a Zombie fan...
I think this does a nice job of making the player feel "hopeless". That's what a good zombie game should do. You shouldn't ever really feel safe. Zombie State starts with players taking a butt-kicking and then gets worse from there for the players.

It IS competitive. Whoever has the most population when the first player is eliminated (or the virus goes airborne) wins.

The only two downsides that I can see to the game is that you're basically forced to build tanks AND research the tank defensive upgrade very quickly. It leads to a "sameness" for the first few turns for all players. The game shines in the mid and end game, though. The second one is that the rules regarding "offensive" and "defensive" strength didn't make perfect sense the first time out. Resulted in referring to the rules a lot the first time out. And some may conisder the length a downer - a five player game will take the full three hours - but it's fun.

Perhaps you'll develop walls to funnel all of the zombies into neighboring states. Maybe you'll develop nukes and drop one on a neighbors territory (oops - did Egypts have a 6 population die? Sorry). This makes the game feel more treacherous than you might first expect. Sure zombie hoards are killing off humanity, but will that stop us from settling our petty squabbles? Of course not.

The production value is good considering this looks like basically a self published game. I thought about replacing zombie tokens with minis, but you really need to be able to flip them over, and once the brain munching is in full swing, you're going to appreciate tokens over minis.

If you like ANYTHING about any zombie game, this is a pretty good pick up.