Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Save the townsfolk strategy
10-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Save the townsfolk strategy
Tonight we played Save the Townsfolk. The players won easily by taking Jake as one of their characters and quickly picking up the needed townsfolk. They then spent the rest of the game in the Hanger, picking up signal flares and shooting any zombies that came close.

Not a very close game at all. Are we playing the signal flares wrong? They would pick them up, shoot a zombie and lose the flares then repeat on the next turn. Not much I could do as zombie player since I couldn't move zombies fast enough to put any pressure on them.

Its a trick, get an axe...

Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2010, 03:18 AM
RE: Save the townsfolk strategy
TheHun, the biggest part of the problem you describe is the signal flares/hanger loop. A lot of people find it to be too strong. Were your players using the same signal flare card more than once per round? Even if it goes to the discard and is picked up again, that same card cant' be used more than once.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2010, 04:42 AM
Also, you may want to play where the humans get a random hero as opposed to letting them pick. That's the way I've always played, and it works out that way. That way, the heroes can't pick the perfect team for whatever scenario you're playing, making it more fair. It also just adds more variety, and in my opinion, fun, to the game.
10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Keep discarding to get swaining and moving cards like shamble. Get them in there and force the heroes out
10-14-2010, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2010 03:54 PM by Raynor.)
I've had this happen before as well! We've replayed the scenario a couple times though and it's not a repeating occurrence. The game will change utterly when you change scenarios but also when you change heroes. Unless we just bought a new set of heroes, or the players are new to the game we ALWAYS pick randomly for heroes! Otherwise you miss out on some good characters and overuse the ones you are fond of.

mqstout is also right on the face that you can only use the same weapon card once per round! VERY IMPORTANT!

A good fallback for this situation, if you cannot get close enough quick enough, run through your zombie cards as fast as possible. Discard one every turn even if it's a good one and use every one you possibly can! Also, remember you don't have to move your zombies towards the heroes unless they are within a one square radius. Fall back, stay out of line of sight, and Keep going through your zombie deck until you can either spawn zombies beside the heroes, take over the building, or remove that darn Flare Gun from play!

Best piece of advice I can muster though, is never give up on a scenario. I used to think Defend the Manner was a lost cause! The zombie players always won in 3-4 turns in every game I ever played. Until recently, when somehow it managed to flipflop and become one of the most dynamic game scenarios in the lot! Change tactics, change players, change heroes! and keep playing!

My playing group of friends likes to play the same scenario two times in a row in most every game, just to see how things work out. More often then not, the zombies win once, and the heroes win once.

Good luck!
02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Pretty much a gold strategy for any scenario for the zombies is to stop the heroes from searching any way you can
02-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Shamble, shamble, shamble! I wish half my deck were shamble cards.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."