Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Zombies and Trees
11-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Zombies and Trees
Hey guys. Sorry if this has been posted before but here goes. How is it that a hero can't move through a tree, but a zombie can? When we play I'm always rationalizing everything that happens and trying to paint a picture for the rest of the group when they ask...."Well how does that make sense?" And I'm usually pretty good at making them see how it does. So the other day we're playing and everyone starts in on...."Well zombies ripping through walls doesn't make sense..." and blah blah. So I tell them dude...windows, floorboards, and you just have to imagine there are like a horde of zombies piling up against this house. Think of zombie movies people! So they're like yeah yeah I guess. But then trees are put into question. Now for this I'm like well uh....I don't know how a zombie can pass through a tree thematically. I understand why it's there and to slow hero movement and give zombies an edge in some way just like allowing them to pass through buildings. My only issue is making sense of it thematically. I'm okay with letting it go, but help me to help them understand!

"Sometimes dead is better."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2013, 07:06 PM
RE: Zombies and Trees
I don't see a single zombie figure as a single zombie but it representing a group. this explains how a single zombie halts hero movement through spaces.
For zombies going through walls. I liken it to them coming in through windows and such as you said. It's a bit of a stretch I know.

I haven't played timber peak so I don't know how the trees actually work but
for trees you could always say that the tree represents forested area not easily traversed by people. If they argue they should be able to go through these spaces then allow them but each time they risk injury on branches plus twisted or broken ankles.
11-13-2013, 07:46 PM
I also see them representing a group of zombies.

Trees are represented as an image on the board that has a small black line extending through each of the 4 spaces connected to it. (Just like an extended corner of a building) So that they may not be passed through. Line of sight is not effected, only movement and only for heroes.

I very much like how you've added that the single tree represents a grouping of trees or a forest. I think it's easily forgotten how large of an area one single square is actually trying to represent. Good call man.

On the twisted ankle...I LOVE the idea. I will definitely present this to my group. I'd have to work out the details but something along the lines of roll a D6. On a 1 or 2 you've twisted your ankle. Anything else you'd pass through. Something close to that anyways. Twisted ankle I think you'd have to lose 1 on your movement for the rest of the game. It would likely not be beneficial for heroes to even make the attempt to do this. However, in certain dire situations it may be imperative that they give it a try.

Thank you kindly for your response.

11-14-2013, 09:30 PM
When a Hero enters a heavily wooded area (represented in game terms by a single tree). They will have to slow down due to...

Darkness (day or night)
Thickness of undergrowth
Danger of falling
Fear of the unknown
They may just slow up because they think they're safe

A Zombie has none of these considerations
I think they're more likely (in my mind) to be hunting with a combination of smell and hearing)
A Zombie will tear through brambles lacerating themselves without care
A Zombie doesn't care about a fall and will laugh off a broken neck.
A Zombie will never get tired or feel fear...or anything except Zombie HungerWatchmen02

This is my take and hope this helpsWatchmen02
11-14-2013, 11:27 PM
(11-14-2013 09:30 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  When a Hero enters a heavily wooded area (represented in game terms by a single tree). They will have to slow down due to...

I agree. They should have to slow down - but not stop and be barred from going through.

I like the idea of maybe a -1 to Movement when going through a tree.
-or-
If you go the twisted ankle route (for a permanent -1) - then I don't care for the permanent affect. Maybe the Hero can heal it/rest it by forfeiting his Move action on a future turn. You could place a spawn pit token under the model to represent that he is injured, until healed.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
11-15-2013, 03:37 AM
Oh man, you guys are good. This is perfect! I'm pretty sure I can get my group to warm up to one or more of these thoughts and then decide if they'd like to house rule a slower movement through the forest or instead keep it as the rules have it laid out. Either way I think you guys have been a great help. Thank you.

11-15-2013, 07:52 PM
(11-15-2013 03:37 AM)dj_edgar02 Wrote:  Oh man, you guys are good. This is perfect! I'm pretty sure I can get my group to warm up to one or more of these thoughts and then decide if they'd like to house rule a slower movement through the forest or instead keep it as the rules have it laid out. Either way I think you guys have been a great help. Thank you.

No worries let us know what you and the group decidesWatchmen02