Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mitigating over-analyzing players
08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
RE: Mitigating over-analyzing players
mqstout Wrote:Turn timer. 'Nuff said.

Agreed! Put them on a pressure cooker or avoid playing the game with them. I hate those players only because a game that should take a suggested amount of time takes longer. Also when there are only a few options/ choices to make and they are VERY obvious I want to go feral on the bastards and tear their still beating hearts out of their chests for wasting so much freaking time on a simple decision. But I digress.....:P

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Nebcron Wrote:Turn timers could be good, but you may just want to mutually decide on a person to dictate pacing. Seems to work for us. My buddy is an engineer and likes to think things through, but I spur him on to quicker decisions if it feels like it's dragging.

A couple house rules we have discussed is using turn timer, but not limiting them to the timer, instead, every time the timer expires, the zombie player gets a token. that token can then be used by the zombie player as an extra movement point on a single zombie.. playable at ANY time. This has kept the players from taking 5-10 minute turns.. etc Watchmen02 And is realistic.. IE.. if you wait too long.. zombies close in on you..

soundguy
08-27-2010, 02:39 PM
soundguy Wrote:A couple house rules we have discussed is using turn timer, but not limiting them to the timer, instead, every time the timer expires, the zombie player gets a token. that token can then be used by the zombie player as an extra movement point on a single zombie.. playable at ANY time. This has kept the players from taking 5-10 minute turns.. etc Watchmen02 And is realistic.. IE.. if you wait too long.. zombies close in on you..

soundguy

Ha! I love that idea. I may have to give that a shot.
08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Nebcron Wrote:Ha! I love that idea. I may have to give that a shot.

sometimes i hold on to the counters and then use them later.. sometimes I use them immediatly to advance on their position.. works out good... no hard / fast timer.. but there is a penalty if they take 5 and 10 minute turns..

soundguy
08-28-2010, 07:57 PM
I say have them outside of your house run into the house open a drawer grab a spatula and run back out,this is their real time search.It now applies to the game on a per turn basis.
No long rumaging or drawing out of plans same idea as a turn timer only they have their real time.

Or you could change the game up a bit like I do,no zombie limit on the board just pure zombie goodness.
08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Not sure if you're saying there is one or two hero players that are running the whole game for all the other heroes, if that is the case I've had that problem and I just stopped inviting them.
It makes the game no fun for the other players and those people tend to have issues with life that make them annoying.
08-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Canadian Pittbull Wrote:
mqstout Wrote:Turn timer. 'Nuff said.

Agreed! Put them on a pressure cooker or avoid playing the game with them. I hate those players only because a game that should take a suggested amount of time takes longer. Also when there are only a few options/ choices to make and they are VERY obvious I want to go feral on the bastards and tear their still beating hearts out of their chests for wasting so much freaking time on a simple decision. But I digress.....:P

LOL, i'm with you.
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Have you tried the timer yet? I'm curious how it turned out. I don't have a problem with LNOE players taking too long but I have issues with other games where a timer might be a viable solution. Nothing ruins a game like someone taking 10 minutes to place a token on the board to claim a resource.

In my experience a game like LNOE hasn't needed a timer because the decision tree for a given hero turn isn't THAT big for any individual hero. It IS supposed to be a fast paced game. Alternatively, you could play the heroes and model for your other players what hero turn should look like.

Its a trick, get an axe...

Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle.