Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
arkham asylum
11-28-2010, 11:55 PM
RE: arkham asylum
(11-28-2010 10:21 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  The Expansion Something Wicked This Way Comes has a very
Lovecraft type Villian The Unspeakable Horror.

Yeah, unfortunately I've not had a chance to play the expansion yet. I've owned it since July, but finding the time to play is difficult. Add to that I've had to break in my better half gently. Still- I'm hopeful I'll get to give it a whirl this week. Quite fitting really that I'll be starting a second volume of HPL's work at roughly the same time.

As for AH- is the long game time a necessity? With two players could we get through a game in a couple of hours?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Yes, I love ARKHAM HORROR. Great game. We played yesterday. We had four players and the game lasted about three hours. We were using the Black Goat of the Woods expansion as well as the base game. We were also using the new prepainted miniatures from FFG which are a darn close match for the Zombies from LNOE.

I'm thinking at some point I can use the zombies and the AH guys in an RPG combo.

I hope everybody is looking forward to MANSIONS OF MADNESS. IT looks VERY cool.
11-29-2010, 12:14 AM
wow.. under 3? we've never been able to do under 5.. and the 5er we lost due to the ancient one waking up.

we usually play with max number of characters.. maybee that's why it takes soooo long? it's a day killer for sure. all multi-decade experienced gamers too.. no rookies to slow us down. guess we get into detail too much..

soundguy
11-30-2010, 07:40 AM
we get a group of about 4 of us (sometimes more) together every other week to play AH. I introduced them to LNoE recently when we were down to 3 once night. the game just doesnt seem as fun with less than 4 of us. anyways, we plug through the game now that we all know the rules. I've also printed up reference sheets from BBG for everyone so that, when someone does have a question, we arent all waiting around while 1 person goes on a hunt for the answer.

aside from that I hand out the little baggies of fun markers to different people. 1 gets to keep track of the doom track, 1 gets the sanity and health markers, 1 gets the location cards, and 1 gets the money and the unique/common/ect decks. delegating allows us to move more quickly through the phases.

also, no rookies here either. we've all been gaming our entire lives :P
11-30-2010, 03:27 PM
same here.. we xeroxed the rules, and do seperate out all the chits and counters.

soundguy
12-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow. 8 hours? 2 player games with the wife take about 2 hours these days. I did once play an 8 player game that had to be abandoned after about 4 hours because of people needing to sleep (light weights!), but we were almost finished (could have gone either way). Never had an 8 hour game though.
12-30-2010, 05:05 AM
We have had games run 7-8hrs with 4-5 players. I always thought it was due to the combination of set-up (its heavy for this game) and sorting the rules. I had a friend say the rules were the most like the Lovecraft mythos (ie: the rules would drive you insane). I have one of the early sets, and I haven't heard if the rules were revised to a more logical flow or not.

Long story short its a long game, but I do really enjoy it and we did manage some 4-5hr games.

Also, its possible to beat the old ones, but its hard enough to make it really satisfying.
12-30-2010, 06:47 AM
What's funny is that the 'orginial Arkham Horror" by Chaosium was a much quicker game,around 2 hrs tops.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
we played again last weekend. another 5-6 hour game. we won.. and again.. we used alot of players.. but we got lucky.. last 2 gates that came up were already out so it just populated some monsters.. and we were in the process of closing those gates anyway.

soundguy
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
I didn't know this was a board game. Sick. Where can I find it?