Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
clean and prime
06-15-2012, 03:51 AM
clean and prime
I'm thinking I might try painting my LNOE figures lately (might!). How do the plastic figures get cleaned and primed? Do they need priming?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2012, 04:09 AM
RE: clean and prime
Clean them with a light dash of soap and water. Hit them up with a grey primer to balance light and dark colors. I prefer to hand paint the primer but spray will be ok.
Find all posts by this user
06-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Just drop them in warm (not hot!) water with some dishwashing soap. Let them soak and then go over them with an old toothbrush. Rinse them good with water so that there is no soap left on the figs.
And as for primer, there is white and black in spraycans available. White gives a more bright look to the figures after they are painted. Black dulls the colours more. Check out the pictures of my zombies. My clowns had a white basecoat and the guy in the chicken suit had a black.

I find black giving a cooler look when they are done. The figures don't look so bright. But I find it harder to see all the details on them when I am actualy painting them.

Or like Phantom says you can handpaint the primer with whatever colour you want. But I find preparing and priming the figures very boring so blasting them with a spraycan speeds things up. Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
06-15-2012, 06:58 PM
It may be a good idea to read through SamuraiTrev's painting tutorials, which cover this and lots of other tidbits you may not have thought of. I relied heavily on them when starting out with my LNOE dudes.
06-15-2012, 09:09 PM
(06-15-2012 03:51 AM)mqstout Wrote:  I'm thinking I might try painting my LNOE figures lately (might!). How do the plastic figures get cleaned and primed? Do they need priming?

Yessss go for it Mqstout! Give painting your LNoE minis a try, you won't look back!
06-21-2012, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 05:22 PM by samuraitrev.)
Other end of it: Is it okay to use a blanket spray dull coat, and then brush on gloss afterwards where desired? I've had a friend mention that two "coats" like that can cause "white spots" or some such.

Haven't started anything yet -- I'm a "think all the steps through first" kind of guy.
06-21-2012, 05:22 PM
1) Blanket spray the dull/matt varnish coat
2)Then brush on any gloss areas where desired.

You would only get white spots/patches if you apply far too much varnish. Basically if it's white when your're painting it on, you're painting it on too thick. It's very easy to avoid this if you follow that rule. Keep those questions coming!
08-20-2013, 10:24 PM
(06-15-2012 04:09 AM)phantomninja Wrote:  Clean them with a light dash of soap and water. Hit them up with a grey primer to balance light and dark colors. I prefer to hand paint the primer but spray will be ok.

What primer do you use? I'd like to be able to sit in the house and hand paint primer as opposed to what I used to do when I played GW (GW primer)

Thanks in advance...

Dennis