Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
comparison to LNOE?
02-15-2012, 04:32 PM
comparison to LNOE?
So far I have only played LNOE. For you folks who have both LNOE and IFOS are there a lot of rule differences or would it be relatively easy for me and my kids to obtain and play a game of IFOS?

I have heard that the games are compatible but not sure if that just means that you can use some of the pieces of one with the other game or if the gameplay is actually that similar.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2012, 07:53 PM
RE: comparison to LNOE?
If you have the LNOE ruleset down, you should be able to get up and running pretty quick with IFOS.

The games use the same engine, so the turn structure is the same. The Heroes between LNOE and IFOS are very similar, tho the IFOS one have a new mechanic that uses action points. Martians turn structure is similar to the Zombies, tho there are an extra step or two, and they play very differently than the Zombies. Playing as the Martians will be the biggest learning curve, but shouldnt be that bad if you are familiar the core rules.

The games are very compatible, being able to have the Zombies attack the Carnival, or Martians attack the Small Town. There are rules for a big free for all with three factions: Zombies vs Martians vs Heroes. (I still have yet to try this)
02-17-2012, 11:12 AM
RE: comparison to LNOE?
Yea they are completely cross compatible. You can basically mix anything with both games.
I've only played a couple games of IFOS so far but it's a refreshing break from LNOE. And the Martians are fun to fight against because of all the Tech they can build.
Overall, IFOS seems more like a huge glorified expansion IMO. The game is awesome by itself, but I got it just for the cross compatibility.
Oh, and it comes with Fire and Crowd rules and tokens. Which is cool to bring over to LNOE.
But if you're not sure, just download the rulebook and read it before you buy it so you can get a better understanding.
That alone is what sealed the deal for me.