Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
considering picking up ATOE
10-15-2011, 07:04 AM
considering picking up ATOE
I've been playing LNOE for a few weeks now and have really taken to the game. I've been considering getting ATOE to add to my collection because it seems like it has a lot of similar qualities to it, yet also has some cool differences. I was just wondering how the 2 compared. How are they similar/different?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2011, 12:10 PM
RE: considering picking up ATOE
They are different,In AToE you play against the Game not a another player as in LNoE.It has a fixed Board & no Scenarios.
AToE can be played as a player vs player (there is no direct combat between them however)as a Co-OP or Team Game,
Plus it handles well Solo(in fact the Expansion Something Wicked has official Solo Rules).

It's cool part is that you select a Villain & each Villian has it's own special Minions or Event Encounters so it's very Theme driven.
If you play with several people you may find AToE drags a bit time wise.1-3 players is probably the sweet spot.

There is no player elimination if your KO'D you just play a random penalty ,lose a turn & keep playing.
In AToE you are basically traveling the Board getting clues & Items that help you defeat the Villain
& when you feel your ready you can go for a Showdown( if you know where the Villain is Located).
Village Elders & their Secrets are available to help or hurt you.

AToE does have a Game Timer,certain Events cause the Shadow Track to move,which triggers certain penalties
& if runs out before you find & defeat the Villain you loose.

I Love AToE (a lot more than LNoE) so liking one doesn't mean you'll like the other.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-15-2011, 04:53 PM
thanks for the reply, it was very informative. sounds like this will be a cool alternative to LNOE.
10-19-2011, 01:29 AM
We got LNOE first, then ATOE. My wife and I both prefer ATOE, but play LNOE more often with our friends because the theme is a bit more popular and the rules are a bit easier.

We like ATOE because of the co-op aspect. We also like that it has a store where you can pick some items or weapons of your choosing. There are lots of skill test rolls, etc. It just seems to be a deeper game than LNOE. Also, because the look of a game is important to me, I would like to say that the board(s) look really cool, and the minis are way cooler than the LNOE ones. I even like the soundtrack better!

I got the big expansion for my birfday, and the new villians look really cool. I haven't gotten to try it yet, though.

Fortune and Glory looks really cool, too. Have you considered that one?
10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I haven't considered fortune and glory. I'm more interested in the horror genre. I may pick it up though after playing LNOE and ATOE for a while.
10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
AToE is often compared to Arkham Horror, if you know that game. It is different from Arkham Horror, but some of the mechanics are the same. The thing is, that AToE feels like and plays like the movie Sleepy Hollow, except that you can play not only against the headless horseman, but also the werewolf, the vampire, the banshee, the gargoyle etc.

Mix that with wondrous adventures of the heroes battling the beasts, and some references to Salem/Lovecraft/the Scarlet Pimpernel and you have AToE.

I just wish they would double the size of the corner locations decks, as if you play it a lot, you will get a feel for what you draw from the decks...

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
10-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Snowplow 54. If your looking for a go-with to LNOE check out Invaders from Outer Space. Its partially designed or works real well with LNOE

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
10-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Just played my first ATOE game tonight with a few friends.
I have to say I enjoyed every 3 hours minute of it. I cant
really tell you if I like it more the LNOE because they play so
differently, but I really liked it.

If I had 3 or 4 people to play with, either game would be fun.
Anymore than 4 I would rather play ATOE or Fortune and Glory,
because LNOE is more fun to me with 2-3 people (thats just me
though).

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
10-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Another AToE convert!What villain were you using?

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-29-2011, 05:28 PM
We used the Bats, Walking Dead and Succubus sheet with the
Vampire Main Villain. The Game almost beat us and it went on
for about 3 hours. Had a good time playing it, so it was all pretty
worth it.

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13