Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
custom characters and picking random
03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
custom characters and picking random
So, just finished a nice custom characters project. Have a lot of custom characters laying around. BUT, i stumbled on a little problem. The thing is, even if scenario's say you can pick your heroes, me and my mates like to pick random. This way you won't get favourites that are always played. The problem is, my herocards are different then the ones in the box. I print them out on photopaper, have the card and a backside, and simply laminate them. This works fine by me, and they still have a glossy look. You can even write stuff on them with a marker and erase it afterwards. Still wanting to use the cards provided by flying frog, i made this to still random pick cards.

How does it work. Simply print this one out like the rest of your custom cards. Write the name of the heroes provided by flying frog on there and voila. Now all the cards look the same when picking, and you can still use the original ones.

Two suggestions. If you pick one of these cards, simply roll, and put it back in, so you can still draw the other hero on the card.

Or, only write one hero on the card, so you'll have a more even change of picking originals.

hope it's usefull to you as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
RE: custom characters and picking random
I only have one custom we use. We usually designate one original hero that everyone for sure doesn't want (usually Billy), and use his card to represent the custom in the pile. This not only gives you an identical card to pick from randomly, but allows you to remove some of the characters that always get chosen/were played last time/everyone hates from the draw pool.

[Image: normal_Ash_with_Card.JPG]
03-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Vikinglad's awesome Ash character card is always in my random Hero roster. I roll a 20 sided die and disregard 18-20
03-09-2012, 07:37 PM
(03-09-2012 06:48 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Vikinglad's awesome Ash character card is always in my random Hero roster. I roll a 20 sided die and disregard 18-20

Thought about it. But have 29 characters. Thing is, if i only pick 18, you usually get characters like billy that are left out. And even though billy isn't a strong character, it's still fun to play with him from time to time.
This way no one is left behind.

Another option is to write two characters on one card that you don't really like, and then leave the card out once it's drawn. This way you won't pick all bad characters. (still, changes are minimum with so many of them)
03-23-2012, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2012 01:09 AM by Wade.)
When I bought Hero Pack 1 the new cards were noticeably shinier than the old ones.
So we have the zombie master shuffle them under the table and the heros pick a number. 1 is the top card.
Love your cards BTW, great work!
03-23-2012, 01:47 AM
(03-09-2012 07:37 PM)lwsaki Wrote:  
(03-09-2012 06:48 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Vikinglad's awesome Ash character card is always in my random Hero roster. I roll a 20 sided die and disregard 18-20

Thought about it. But have 29 characters. Thing is, if i only pick 18, you usually get characters like billy that are left out. And even though billy isn't a strong character, it's still fun to play with him from time to time.
This way no one is left behind.

Another option is to write two characters on one card that you don't really like, and then leave the card out once it's drawn. This way you won't pick all bad characters. (still, changes are minimum with so many of them)

How about rolling a D3 first for 10, 20, 30
Then a D10 disregard 30 problem solved.
04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
samuraitrev's method works well for pretty much any number of heroes. If you only have max 10 heroes, just roll 1D10. Under 20 heroes 1D2 for the tens (1-3 is the first ten, 4-6 is the second.) and then again the 1D10. And so on. If you have some strange number like 53 heroes, then throw 1D6 and just re-roll the 6. If a 5 is rolled, then simply roll 1D3. If you want to get crazy, you can always buy a D100, or just throw 2D10 with one indicating the tens and one for single digits.

Our gaming group has used this sort of randomizing extensively for Pictionary. As the normal questions are too easy, we use a 600 page dictionary and select words by first rolling for the page going through hundreds (1D6), tens (1D10), and singel digits (1D10). Once the page is selected, we roll 1D20 for the word. Most pages have less than 20 words so then we continue to the next page until the rolled number is reached. This is made much faster and easier by having dice of different colours.