Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
does anyone use the advanced abilities cards?
09-05-2012, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 10:51 PM by abomination.)
does anyone use the advanced abilities cards?
I was wondering if the advanced abilities are worth buying?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2012, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 10:51 PM by Atraangelis.)
RE: does anyone use the advanced abilities cards.
I have used them. They are interesting and add variety.
I enjoy them.

We used them when we were playing a campaign by allowing the appropriate hero to start games with it once they earned them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2012, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 12:20 AM by abomination.)
RE: does anyone use the advanced abilities cards?
Thanks for the answer. Do they add multiple abilities like a level up system, or is it just one upgrade?
09-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I haven't yet used them (nor do I have them yet) but my gaming group buddy who has all the expansions has them as well. We have yet to use them in the game, but he did let me take a look. They definitely seemed really cool to me, so I'd think that they are definitely worth picking up. I had actually kind of thought I might pass on them before seeing them. Now, eventually, I will definitely pick them up as well.
09-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Our experience with them is that they often create a 'snowball' effect if you let the heroes get them for killing zombies. In other words, using them as the experience system can make one side overpowered, while not getting the other side anything...

Cheerio,
ST

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
09-08-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm wondering how they will work with the new expansion's experience and upgrade system.

I also don't like that you only get exp. for killing Zombies. Really feeds the players into a kill Zombies mode, instead of cooperating to achieve the objective.
09-11-2012, 07:35 PM
That is a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I guess the way they SHOULD be played is that they are just there in case they happen to come into play. In other words, you should still play just as you would if they were not being used. If the scenario and/or your current situation dictates that you would want to try to avoid killing zombies, you still should. The advanced abilities would just be there in case you so happen to kill enough to earn yours.

You are right, though. I can imagine it may effect them typical gameplay. I'm sure some players would be tempted to specifically try to earn their advanced ability, rather than to actually try to do what they should be doing to win the scenario.
09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Jake: 1/3 chance to heal each round
Johnny: high movement roll means an extra fight dice
Jenny: 50% chance to pull a hand weapon from the discard
Kenny: restock hero deck and get a discard pile card
Sally: Kill a zombie, 1/3 chance to get a card.

These are just too good of abilities to pass up. Johnny and Sally are already Zombie fighters, so it works well for them, they just snowball, but Jake the search engine becomes a tank and Jenny becomes a delivery service for other heroes that are better at fighting. Kenny is possibly the easiest to get the ability on, and if you have the supermarket on the map, or any other abilities that burn cards that ability becomes super useful, but most of the time it's not that good. That's the case sadly with many of them: the sheriff, Victor and Father Joe can burn the deck way too fast, and Jade makes you split up
unless you are all strange, then she's sick.

I need to see the new upgrade options to see how powerful they are, sadly if I don't like them four of the Timber peak heroes have abilities that are all about them.