Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
galaxy trucker
09-09-2013, 01:53 PM
galaxy trucker
played galaxy trucker this weekend.

interesting game.

you build a space ship, and then run thru a series of threats to get to the end and deliver cargo, score points /cash for placement, etc. runs as 3 sets so you build 3 different craft as the time goes.

ships are built on a template from a pile of tiles inthe cneter of the table.. first come, first served.. so you have to build your ship fast.. but well planned. some tiles won't match up with other tiles.

weapons, engines, shields, cargo bays, crew quarters, aliens, etc.. etc.

threats include meteor showers, pirates, slavers, deserted ships and stations, s few strategy cards via other players, and perils of open space... etc. in many cases you are limited to the power you have when you take off.. etc.

interesting game... 2 expansions out for it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2013, 02:04 AM
RE: galaxy trucker
It can be a bit difficult to find these days (especially the Big Expansion). Rio Grande has a game out with some similar mechanics that's a bit more readily available called Goblins, Inc., and is also well suited for two teams of two.
09-16-2013, 03:05 PM
this one vaugely reminded me of a zombie survival game where each player played a house on a block and the zombie horde was coming. you have a small amount of time to go thru a pile of chits and stock your house ( food fuel, guns, extra people ).. it goes in turn and each player grabs an item and places it in a room ( each room has sapces.. etc. big items take up more spaces..e tc.

when all players have filled their spaces ( more items than spaces ).. the horde gets there, comes in 3 waves you use the stock piled items to survive waves... kinda neat...
09-19-2013, 02:06 AM
(09-16-2013 03:05 PM)soundguy Wrote:  this one vaugely reminded me of a zombie survival game where each player played a house on a block and the zombie horde was coming. you have a small amount of time to go thru a pile of chits and stock your house ( food fuel, guns, extra people ).. it goes in turn and each player grabs an item and places it in a room ( each room has sapces.. etc. big items take up more spaces..e tc.

when all players have filled their spaces ( more items than spaces ).. the horde gets there, comes in 3 waves you use the stock piled items to survive waves... kinda neat...

That sounds fun. Do you know the name of the game?

gc2K

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
09-19-2013, 02:46 PM
i think i have it at home.. i'll look it up this weekend.
09-25-2013, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 03:50 AM by Mello Man.)
Do you know anyone who has played Galaxy Truckers and not liked it? I'm thinking about ordering the anniversary edition off Amazon without having played it first (not for lack of trying, just can't find anyone who has it). It's a blind $85 commitment, but it sounds like an incredible game.
09-25-2013, 03:54 AM
i went in skeptical and came out liking it.

give it at least 1+ game plays before passing judgement.

the entire first time you play it you are learning HOW to play
09-25-2013, 05:16 PM
(09-25-2013 03:54 AM)soundguy Wrote:  i went in skeptical and came out liking it.

give it at least 1+ game plays before passing judgement.

the entire first time you play it you are learning HOW to play

It is definitely a very different game. I liken it to building a sand castle next to the shore when you were a kid and watching how well it held up to the waves of water. Once you are done building you kind of just sit back and watch things happen.
09-26-2013, 01:02 PM
ditto that.. except there are other sand castles next to yours.. and you see who's hold sup best.. and some of them send stuff your way too. Watchmen02
10-11-2013, 03:50 AM
I bought Galaxy trucker and ended up trading it away for Nexus Ops. My gaming group did not like it. All the choices play out in the beginning when you make a ship. The second half is just rolling dice, and seeing if your ship lasts. Making a ship was different, but not a ton of fun. Very little player interaction. IT'd be cooler if you could fly around and attack other player's ships.