Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how many cards in the deck
11-08-2012, 12:26 AM
how many cards in the deck
using all expansions, where the number of cards in the deck that you use? use all ?
When I play, I use all the cards, still not had a better idea to solve this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 12:48 AM
RE: how many cards in the deck
I don't have any of the expansions but managed to borrow a copy of Timber Peak. Honestly, I haven't figured out what to do with the products that I end up owning. I already have Growing Hunger pre-ordered and will most likely get Timber Peak. My plan is to mix the Growing Hunger cards with the cards from the main set and keep the Timber Peak cards separate. Mixing the base set cards and the Timber Peak cards would end up with 105 cards in both the Hero/Zombie decks, and I can see several issues with that (collation, shuffling, storage).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2012, 02:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 03:06 AM by midnight rider.)
You could pull out any cards necessary for a particular scenario, explosives for example, then fill out the deck randomly from any and all expansions up to 60 cards. That gives the zombie players a fair chance to run it out, and you still get variety.
11-08-2012, 03:49 AM
the problem is there are many goods cards , and its dificult discard and take only 60 hehehehhe.
11-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I know what you mean. Thus far, I only have the base game and a couple of the Web Supplements you can buy from their online store. So, the deck size isn't a problem for me yet.

However, a lot of the folks here who have all the expansions (other than Timber Peak) have used all of the cards together and have said that they don't find it to be a problem. So, it would seem that it works out just fine.
11-09-2012, 03:56 AM
I wonder if it'll be feasible to allow each player to Choose the cards that go into their deck (minimum of 60) and see what happens. That'll bring some deckbuilding into LNOE, but I'm not sure exactly how balanced that'll be (Just imagine maxxing out Search scenario objectives, and having all Townsfolk cards in the deck during a rescue mission).

That brings up the question of whether or not people play by removing or putting in expansions for a varied feel, or lumping all cards together into a huge mass.
11-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Bokya,

That is definitely one way to do it. A lot of folks here have talked about using deck building methods like that. If it works for your group, I definitely say go for it.

I personally like to just use the whole deck. If you use deck building, then people always pick the same cards, because they'll always pick their favorites, and/or the most powerful ones. So, some cards will never see the light of day. I like being able to use the whole deck, because then you never know what may come up, and you can go several games and still get all new stuff.

But, that is just my personal preference. There are definitely a lot of ways to go about it. ;-)
11-13-2012, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 11:52 PM by ForestRunner.)
Excluding TP, which I keep seperate... I use the whole deck for "standard" LNOE, and is easy to accommodate in an open deck box (with cards sleeved as well).

For me the whole deck exponentially increases replayability of the game, and it could never go stale.

PS Stale pun not intended. Zombie20

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
11-18-2012, 03:53 AM
We just started playing with ALL cards from all expansions and Timber Peak. The Zombie upgrades and normal cards they get, discarded a LOT of cards....so I think it is balanced.
11-29-2012, 04:08 AM
I just got Timber Peak (I have Growing Hunger, too) and I've been wondering this, too. I really like the idea of taking out scenario-specific cards and shuffling a deck of 60, since it doesn't mess with the ever-present "heroes lose if the zombies discard their last hero card" rule.

Although that rule always seemed a little odd to me.