Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how many cards in the deck
11-29-2012, 07:51 AM
RE: how many cards in the deck
I own all expansions (excluding TP) and use all cards in the deck. However, I recall one guy suggesting that you divide the draw deck into 4 piles. Now, each L-board has it's own draw deck attached, so you now only get to draw from the corresponding draw deck of the L-board you went searching.

The discard pile stays the same.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2012, 09:30 PM
(11-29-2012 07:51 AM)scarydk Wrote:  I own all expansions (excluding TP) and use all cards in the deck. However, I recall one guy suggesting that you divide the draw deck into 4 piles. Now, each L-board has it's own draw deck attached, so you now only get to draw from the corresponding draw deck of the L-board you went searching.

I definitely always say to each his own. That honestly does sound really cool. I just was personally never fond of that idea, especially in the case where the heroes have to look for something specific in the deck. The heroes could wind up being driven away from one side of the board, and therefore one whole deck, meanwhile some of the things they need are in it. Yet, here they are, searching endlessly through a deck that doesn't even have what they need.

I mean, granted, that is the luck of the game. Not to mention, even with using the whole deck, you never know. The things you need could all be stuck at the bottom. Still, without dividing the decks like that, at least you know what you need is in there somewhere.
Find all posts by this user
11-30-2012, 07:56 AM
(11-29-2012 09:30 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  
(11-29-2012 07:51 AM)scarydk Wrote:  I own all expansions (excluding TP) and use all cards in the deck. However, I recall one guy suggesting that you divide the draw deck into 4 piles. Now, each L-board has it's own draw deck attached, so you now only get to draw from the corresponding draw deck of the L-board you went searching.

I definitely always say to each his own. That honestly does sound really cool. I just was personally never fond of that idea, especially in the case where the heroes have to look for something specific in the deck. The heroes could wind up being driven away from one side of the board, and therefore one whole deck, meanwhile some of the things they need are in it. Yet, here they are, searching endlessly through a deck that doesn't even have what they need.

I mean, granted, that is the luck of the game. Not to mention, even with using the whole deck, you never know. The things you need could all be stuck at the bottom. Still, without dividing the decks like that, at least you know what you need is in there somewhere.

I agree. I also prefer to have the option of drawing all cards, not just those from a designated L-board. That said, it's quite a novel idea. I really do like it and I think it should work just fine for LNoE. Personally, I don't use it because I enjoy the game and it's rules just fine.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
(11-30-2012 07:56 AM)scarydk Wrote:  I agree. I also prefer to have the option of drawing all cards, not just those from a designated L-board. That said, it's quite a novel idea. I really do like it and I think it should work just fine for LNoE. Personally, I don't use it because I enjoy the game and it's rules just fine.

Agreed. Even if it isn't one I would personally use, I love any idea for spicing up and varying this game. That is one of the things I love most about it. Not only are there so many different official ways to make it very different that Flying Frog provides themselves, but there are so many ways you can imagine up variations of your own. The possibilities are literally endless for ways you can alter and spice up this game!
12-03-2012, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 02:13 AM by alderdust.)
I feel like if you took out specific cards such as explosives and added them to the deck of 60 with all sets now more than 10% of your deck would be scenario items which seems too many and would make things easier on the heroes.
I also decided to mix all sets including timber peak together mainly cause my group would only end up playing one and never the older sets so combining them takes that away but it adds so many more choices to your turn. And if someone draws a hero that has a survivor version we have them roll a die on a 4+ then they are the survivor version if not they are the regular version.
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Alderdust,

That is actually a really cool way to combine both games and still make it work. I especially love the idea of drawing a hero, and if it is one of the three carried over to Timber Peak, you roll to determine if it is the TP version or the original version.

I think what I will personally do once I am caught up and I have everything (for the most part anyway, as I am sure I will combine from time to time), is that I will keep all of the upgrades/expansions/etc. for the original Last Night On Earth with the original game, and then keep Timber Peak, and all of the expansions they release for it with just Timber Peak.

They are basically the same game but with a few changes. So, considering that, say for example...

- If I want to play with the Grave Dead Zombies, or say specifically the Grave Weapons Zombies, I can easily just play on Last Night On Earth.

- If I want to involve fires and hero and zombie upgrades, I can easily just play on Timber Peak.

- Once they come out, if I want to play with the Feral Zombies, I can easily play on Timber Peak.

- If I want to play some of the scenarios from LNOE, I can easily just play them in LNOE

So, for me personally, I think that method works. But I can see combining them as well for those who would want to do so.
12-04-2012, 05:51 AM
(12-03-2012 09:20 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  Alderdust,

That is actually a really cool way to combine both games and still make it work. I especially love the idea of drawing a hero, and if it is one of the three carried over to Timber Peak, you roll to determine if it is the TP version or the original version.

I think what I will personally do once I am caught up and I have everything (for the most part anyway, as I am sure I will combine from time to time), is that I will keep all of the upgrades/expansions/etc. for the original Last Night On Earth with the original game, and then keep Timber Peak, and all of the expansions they release for it with just Timber Peak.

They are basically the same game but with a few changes. So, considering that, say for example...

- If I want to play with the Grave Dead Zombies, or say specifically the Grave Weapons Zombies, I can easily just play on Last Night On Earth.

- If I want to involve fires and hero and zombie upgrades, I can easily just play on Timber Peak.

- Once they come out, if I want to play with the Feral Zombies, I can easily play on Timber Peak.

- If I want to play some of the scenarios from LNOE, I can easily just play them in LNOE

So, for me personally, I think that method works. But I can see combining them as well for those who would want to do so.

I did decide that I would at least play all Timber Peak scenarios just as Timber Peak and then would combine them once I have experienced them as a Stand Alone game. I played Blow up the Town tonight and will put together a game report tomorrow night probably.
12-23-2012, 04:50 AM
I've always wondered if there is a Max Card Number for the Decks since the more expansions you get and the more cards you get it seems like the possibility for humans to lose by drawing the last card gets more and more improbable.

Is there a Max Deck Card Number?
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM
[/quote]

No there is currently no limit to the deck sizes.
12-26-2012, 09:36 PM
(12-23-2012 04:50 AM)knyght Wrote:  I've always wondered if there is a Max Card Number for the Decks since the more expansions you get and the more cards you get it seems like the possibility for humans to lose by drawing the last card gets more and more improbable.

To be honest, I am personally fine with that anyway. I was never really fond of that as a win condition for the zombies. I just think that is kind of a lame way for the game to end.

Besides, in all of the times I have played, we have almost never even come CLOSE to having that happen anyway. I think we may have come close ONCE playing on my gaming buddy's copy of Timber Peak.