Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
introducing newbies to the game at my Game Day.
10-04-2012, 07:56 PM
RE: introducing newbies to the game at my Game Day.
Yeah, that is what pretty much everybody I have ever known to play this game has said. Virtually everybody here, everybody in my gaming group, even people on BBG. I have yet to meet anybody who is all that fond of DZD.

Kassle,

I agree with your description exactly. That is one of the main reasons I am personally not that fond of DZD. It is just too simplistic. It is not as fun as having a separate objective in addition to any fights that may break out along the way.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah, Kassle. I don't love the idea of learning by not using the rules you will end up playing by. But that's just how I roll. (No pun intended.) (But, if I had thought of the pun... I would have included it. I'm just dead on my feet.) (See.)

Does that look like a scratch or a bite?
10-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Escape in the Truck is by far the best one to teach people with...I mean it's how I taught my 60+ mom how to play the game, and if she can learn how to play using that scenario ANY ONE can. Zombie03

Every moment has the potential for the enlightenment in which you seek.

~Bryan
勲刀士, Warrior of the Triumphant Blade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2012, 02:17 AM
14 hours until start of play.

10-06-2012, 03:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 03:47 AM by LabRat.)
I'll second everyone else here and vote for Escape in the Truck. Just make sure that someone chooses Cartwright I guess?

I've been using the DZD equivalent of IFOS (Invasion) to teach new players and it doesn't seem to be hooking them in; I think it also teaches them bad habits since the scenario is putting a target number of kills in front of them, making them worry about offense when it's defense that they need to learn more about at the beginning.

Also, forgot to mention this but Escape in the Truck has that Left 4 Dead feel to it where they have to work together to find a means to escape. I can just imagine how good your group will feel when they actually manage to escape - good luck to them and don't be too hard on them!
10-08-2012, 03:21 AM
Quick recap of yesterday's game,
The game went well. Everyone had fun. Sadly the zombie's dice were ice cold. Happily, I was a hero. There were six players three of whom were brand new and two more who had played once before. In the end Becky, Sally, Father Joseph and Jake all made it out in the truck with hardly a scratch on them. (Zombies, beware of cleaver bearing drifters.)
The only bummer was that with the new players it took too long for use to play twice.
The cheat sheet/ rule synopsis I made worked well to keep our noses out if the rulebook.
Thanks for all the input gang,
Rob.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

10-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Awesome! Nice seeing pics of a game in progress - hope they're properly converted and you will have some quicker, more complicated games soon.
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Neat! I love how you stylized the pictures in a way where they actually look like part of the game! Hope your group enjoyed it, and will be shambling about, craving more and more juicy brains. ;-)
10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Way to go with the pics. Now all you need to do is to start painting those minis. Zombie03

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
06-20-2013, 10:18 PM
For reference... Still playing frequently.
I have most of the expansions.
A MUST have accessory is the game Farkel Party. Six sets of six dice in six colors with six dice cups for $14. I won't play without it.