Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
looking for good turn-based pc game
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
looking for good turn-based pc game
Does anybody have a recommendation for a video game for the PC that would deliver the same type of gameplay as LNOE? I've played a million first person shooters before but I would like to try something turn-based. Do the Warhammer video games use that style to copy the table top game?

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2012, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2012 05:16 PM by mqstout.)
RE: looking for good turn-based pc game
"Same type" is pretty open to interpretation.

Try XCOM. Squad-based tactical strategy. Or Police Quest SWAT. Some of the mid-90s RPGs had gridded, turn-based combat, such as Fallout 1/2 or Arcanum.

To me the "peak" of the tactical strategy genre is the PS1 [emulates well on Windows, however] game (later ported to various mobile devices) Final Fantasy Tactics (the later re-translations/ports are called War of the Lions).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-14-2012, 05:25 PM
(03-14-2012 05:15 PM)mqstout Wrote:  "Same type" is pretty open to interpretation.

Try XCOM. Squad-based tactical strategy. Or Police Quest SWAT. Some of the mid-90s RPGs had gridded, turn-based combat, such as Fallout 1/2 or Arcanum.

To me the "peak" of the tactical strategy genre is the PS1 [emulates well on Windows, however] game (later ported to various mobile devices) Final Fantasy Tactics (the later re-translations/ports are called War of the Lions).

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry if my question was vague - I'm looking for an experience on the PC that feels like I'm moving miniatures around a big board. Imagine how cool it would be to have a PC version of LNOE! All the same rules with random dice results and you would never have to shuffle a deck! Watchmen02 Then if you could connect with other players online we could have a LNOE game with 4 or 5 members of the board all sitting in the comfort of their own home (and country).

I'll take a look at the games you suggested - I'm hoping to find a good older game so I can pick it up cheaper. I don't need stunning graphics.

03-20-2012, 05:38 PM
A computerized version of LNOE type game that I could play with my online buddies would be fantastic!!!

There was a computer version of the very cool game board game Tannhauser out there at one time. But, you needed a live opponent, and it was just a random thing...so I lost interest.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
you could try dofus or wakfu... but they don't look a single bit with LNOE however are excellents MMO's and sadly that won't be cheap either... around 10 bucks a month of subscription...
03-20-2012, 06:29 PM
(03-20-2012 05:49 PM)j0hnnn Wrote:  you could try dofus or wakfu... but they don't look a single bit with LNOE however are excellents MMO's and sadly that won't be cheap either... around 10 bucks a month of subscription...

Dofus or wakfu?! Are we still speaking English here? Guess I will Google... Watchmen02

03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I insist goodcop they only achieve your demands in the turn based mecanics...

and if you find anything alike LNOE please divide... i'm looking for it too...
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM
One of my favorite semi-turn based 4X games was Sword of the Stars. Real-time combat but every ship was completely customizable. You could pause the combat to send ships elsewhere but it was amazing to see different tactics just obliterate the opposition...when the strategy worked.

There is a new one that just got released but I heard it's a steaming pile. Another good one from the same period, that there is a new release of, is Sins of a Solar Empire. Haven't heard much on the grapevine about it yet though.
08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Fantasy Wars and Fallout
An update from my earlier request for a good turn-based game. I found a couple of games to play.

First my wife gave me "Fantasy Wars" for my birthday - it's a turn-based adventure game featuring humans, orcs, goblins, and elves. I played through the tutorial and it kinda fun but the interface is a little quirky, specifically changing your point of view/angle of view is rather hard to control.

There is something neat about Fantasy Wars. If you pull back from the map and watch the action it shows large icons on the grid (like a giant orc or warrior). Then if you zoom in closer you see the actual platoon of orcs, humans, etc. And you can watch the combat in either format. I've enjoyed the small amount of time I've played Fantasy Wars but it hasn't captured my imagination.

Then the other day I came across a nice deal on a Fallout 3-pack: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics (thanks to mqstout for suggesting Fallout). I loaded up Fallout and had to hunt down a user patch to fix some graphics issues but now it is playing great and I love it! The theme is very cool, the choices you make (shmooze, sneak, or fight, etc.) make a real difference in how the story goes and the combat is realistic (that is, resources are scarce and it's very easy to be killed by a group of bad guys or a large radioactive beast). It passed the test of a great game for me the other night when my wife woke up to go to work and I realized that it was 4:30 in the morning and I had played all night. Whoops...

Many of you out there are gamers and have already played Fallout but if not, pick it up now cheap!

08-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Yep, Fallout is really cool. If you like that XCOM is definetely up your alley. I would suggest Elven Legacy, but if you didnt dig Fantasy Wars, I wouldnt go for EL.

Good gaming,
SovTech

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]