Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
looking for good turn-based pc game
08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
RE: looking for good turn-based pc game
I tried Fantasy Wars -- didn't do it for me nor my BF (and we both like TBS).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2012, 05:42 AM
I loved playing Fallout 1 and 2!! Fallout 3 was a blast....no longer turned based. It became 1st person shooter, but you get to pause the combat and take aim at specific body parts, then unpause to see what your shot does in slow motion. Very graphic...and very bloddy.
Find all posts by this user
09-18-2012, 06:39 PM
(08-22-2012 04:06 PM)mqstout Wrote:  I tried Fantasy Wars -- didn't do it for me nor my BF (and we both like TBS).

X-Com is coming out in early October for PC, Xbox, and PS3. It will definitely be much better for PC, though. I highly, highly, highly recommend this title for you if you like Turn Based Strategy games. It's going to be absolutely amazing, and all the reviews/previews I've read for it have been very happily received. Check it out!
09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Sadly, the latest XCom game is again not for the PC but for the Steam platform, and thus not available to those like me who are morally opposed to embracing DRM. (It's time people realize they're different; that Steam is its own little gated community.)
09-18-2012, 08:00 PM
(09-18-2012 07:33 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Sadly, the latest XCom game is again not for the PC but for the Steam platform, and thus not available to those like me who are morally opposed to embracing DRM. (It's time people realize they're different; that Steam is its own little gated community.)

I don't know why someone would be against Steam. It's free, easy to use, and offers so much great content, constant sales on games, and allows user created content to be embraced and shared! It's a gamer's paradise, to me.
09-18-2012, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 09:12 PM by mqstout.)
(09-18-2012 08:00 PM)PsychicFatman Wrote:  I don't know why someone would be against Steam. It's free, easy to use, and offers so much great content, constant sales on games, and allows user created content to be embraced and shared! It's a gamer's paradise, to me.

Until they unilaterally decide to lock you out of it. That's the DRM. It also reduces modding over games prior to Steam. Sales has nothing to do with Steam, and plenty of other stores do the same.
09-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey Mqstout! I have to go with you, XCOM would be definetely the BEST Turn-based game for PC ever. I'm talking about that old and nostalgic '94 game, for DOS and AMIGA. It is somewhat complicated at first, and you need to do some reading, but it is worth a try and IMHO it is a ton of fun (and hard too! be sure to get XcomUtil as well).

Regarding this XCOM re-making by Firaxis (Sid Meyer's team redesigned the whole game and adapted to modern days), I have pre-purchased it and I am very anxious for the launch date - October 9th for the US, 11th for the rest of the world. The game trailers look truly awesome and I can't wait to blast those lil aliens back to Mars or wherever they came from.

But I'm pretty sure there'll be a Retail version of the game, Mqstout, full of poster and other goodies that geeks enjoy...

I totally respect your opinion about Steam and DRM and stuff, but being in Brazil, sometimes Steam is the ONLY platform that provides - to a very fortunate percentage of our population which have international credit cards - fair deals in games that don't even exist here (it is like knowing about LNoE and never be able to have it LOL). Otherwise, we just have piracy (Brazil is VERY well-known for its high-rates of pirated games, apps, movies or whatever). Besides, much in the digital world is based on (dangerous) trust. We trust that Google won't go bankrupt and we will always have 10GB (and counting) of GMail space.

But you have a steel-strong point: They hold the power to UNILATERALLY lock you out and that's bad... to try and counter that, I made hard-copies of every game I've bought there along with a Steam installer which I can run offline, so... to hell with them Watchmen02
09-25-2012, 02:15 AM
Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I freaking loved that game before the disc broke Insane19