Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
metal vs plastic
02-24-2012, 07:50 AM
metal vs plastic
Now that I've tried and enjoyed painting a few miniatures, I think it would be fun to buy some nice ones to paint that I can give to my son. I'm assuming that metal is the way to go if I want them to last. How different is the painting process for metal figures as opposed to plastic?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2012, 08:33 AM
RE: metal vs plastic
I, for one love pewter/metal miniatures. It might be just a placebo effect but I think paint sticks to metal a bit more. I enjoy plastic for the modification possibilities but I would invest my cash in some fine pewter models. Also the way they feel when you move them and hold them, you know when you are moving your hero/zombie. I love me some PEWTER!! Oh and if its for kids metal seems to have a longer shelf life.
02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Metal all the way.
The weight just gives that little extra coolness to it.
As for painting I do not find any differences. Except it is steadier to hold a heavier figure...so here comes the weight aspect again. Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2012, 06:37 PM
I prefer metal also, because I always felt they were more detailed, but the plastic figures lately have gotten very good.

I use enamel paints (not water-based), and have had troubles in the past with my plastic minis getting sticky afterwards. I think I may have found out how to overcome this, but I have never had this problem with metal figures.

Final answer: I would buy the coolest looking minis regardless of what they are made from. If one was identical looking and priced the same in plastic and metal, I would get metal.
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
I'd prefer more be made out of plastic. Then maybe I could afford to "get into" the hobby.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2012, 11:02 PM
The plastic moulds nowadays are amazing and are a lot easier to modify. also if you're going to let the little zomblets play with them, plastics when dropped don't fracture at glue point... plus they're lighter so less chance to chip the paint off from dropping! (especially with a nice varnish on them)

Here's an example of the new plastic moulds:
[Image: normal_mino.jpg]

What you don't know can eat you... Zombie01
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
HEAVY METAL OR NO METAL AT ALL!!!