Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
painting miniatures.
12-30-2008, 02:32 AM
painting miniatures.
im completely new to miniature war games and next month im getting one called warlands but i have NOOOO idea how to paint miniatures, what tools i may need, and paint. i was wondering if you guys have any tips, know what i need to buy, or know a website that could teach a child how to paint cuz im kinda retarded.

thanks for your help guy.... just wanted to get some practice in before i get the game. although i am a painter i pretty sure im gunna royally f things up.. please help me!!!

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2008, 07:04 AM
RE: painting miniatures.
The best part of painting is you can always cover your mistakes just don't use too much paint or it will fill in the detail.
First things first you need to know what a wash is and a drybrush is.
Wash or ink is basically a very thin paint. What it does is flows into the low spots of a miniature creating a shadow effect. The wash is applied after the main color is painted on and it will be a slightly darker shade or if you want a really shadowy figure use black but make it really thin.
Drybrush is when you take a big (in terms of miniatures) brush dip it into a lighter version of the base color then wipe it on a paper towel until most of the paint is gone. It usually takes 4 or 5 swipes. Then you dust it over the base color. The paint will only go onto the high spots and will create a light effect. When used in conjunction with each other you can get a professional look.

You can use citadel colours but I just use craft paint like applebarrel colors by plaid. You can get them at any art&craft store and even walmart. Make sure whatever it is its acrylic, acrylic is dull or satin when dry. Don't use enamel cause it's glossy.

Oh make sure you primer the minis before you paint them. I use regular gray krylon spray primer. Lighter gray is better than darker. Paint in light coats so not to fill in the details.

To help with the light coats fill your sink with warm NOT hot (unless you want a gray bathroom wall) and let the spray paint can float in it for a minute or two. This will raise the pressure in the can causing it to spray harder and atomize the paint better, allowing finer coats.

When painting eyes paint the white first then do the pupil, I use a black ultra fine tip sharpie. Then the most important step to avoid the bug eye look is to paint the eyelids last.

Finish your bases with some gravel or railroad grass.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Hope this helps.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-30-2008, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2008 08:33 AM by Emp.)
shadow Wrote:To help with the light coats fill your sink with warm NOT hot (unless you want a gray bathroom wall) and let the spray paint can float in it for a minute or two. This will raise the pressure in the can causing it to spray harder and atomize the paint better, allowing finer coats.

That I did not know Watchmen02 Thanks for the tip.

Here is something that also might come in handy Deadrabbit.

Video Tutorial

All you need is patience and a steady hand Zombie03

Don't start of by painting a fancy model (with loads of details). And don't start with one to small or to big either.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
12-31-2008, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2008 02:37 AM by supervike.)
I'm the moderator at on of the internet's best painting sites.

Cool Mini or Not

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

All kinds of tutorials and helpful folks there if you are really interested.

Warlands looks cool, although I wish it were a larger scale....I think they went with 20mm.

Also DeadRabbit...I've got a set of very cheesy VCR tapes that are beginners guides for mini painting. Actually not too bad, if you can get past the cringe factor of the cheese.....I'd be glad to send them to you, if you are interested....no charge or anything!
12-31-2008, 02:59 AM
Emp Wrote:
shadow Wrote:To help with the light coats fill your sink with warm NOT hot (unless you want a gray bathroom wall) and let the spray paint can float in it for a minute or two. This will raise the pressure in the can causing it to spray harder and atomize the paint better, allowing finer coats.

That I did not know Watchmen02 Thanks for the tip.

Here is something that also might come in handy Deadrabbit.

Video Tutorial

All you need is patience and a steady hand Zombie03

Don't start of by painting a fancy model (with loads of details). And don't start with one to small or to big either.

Hey man I'm here to help! It's a little trick I picked up painting car models.