Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
questions about paint color and mounting of figures
02-22-2012, 07:11 PM
questions about paint color and mounting of figures
I'm gathering supplies to make my first attempt at painting minis and I bought a variety of Americana (cheap) colors to start. I forgot to think about flesh and hair, though. Can you veteran painters tell me what colors you use for skin on the heroes, skin on the zombies, and hair colors?

The colors I bought were: Hauser Dark Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Mississippi Mud, Baby Pink, Bright Yellow, Sour Apple, Slate Grey, Khaki Tan, Uniform Blue, Purple Cow, Bright Orange, and True Red.

Hmmm, typing these out I just realized I didn't get a white!! Ugh.

In addition to the paints I picked up a set of 6 hobby brushes (thin point), an X-Acto knife, a brush case, a plastic 10-well palette, brush cleaner, grey primer, and clear varnish. I hope I got the right type of primer and varnish - the items are called Gesso Grey Canvas Primer and Right-Step Water Base Clear Varnish. I know I have to find something to use as a water pot. I don't know what to do to hold the figures still for painting. I've seen photos samuraitrev put up with the figures appear to be attached by a clay-like substance to a big block of something else. I can always use a pair of pliers to hold the figure but that would mean problems if either of my hands jittered. What is the best way to keep the minis still?

Any other crucial equipment/supplies that I'm missing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
RE: questions about paint color and mounting of figures
(02-22-2012 07:11 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  The colors I bought were: Hauser Dark Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Mississippi Mud, Baby Pink, Bright Yellow, Sour Apple, Slate Grey, Khaki Tan, Uniform Blue, Purple Cow, Bright Orange, and True Red.

Hmmm, typing these out I just realized I didn't get a white!! Ugh.

In addition to the paints I picked up a set of 6 hobby brushes (thin point), an X-Acto knife, a brush case, a plastic 10-well palette, brush cleaner, grey primer, and clear varnish. I hope I got the right type of primer and varnish - the items are called Gesso Grey Canvas Primer and Right-Step Water Base Clear Varnish. I know I have to find something to use as a water pot. I don't know what to do to hold the figures still for painting. I've seen photos samuraitrev put up with the figures appear to be attached by a clay-like substance to a big block of something else. I can always use a pair of pliers to hold the figure but that would mean problems if either of my hands jittered. What is the best way to keep the minis still?

Any other crucial equipment/supplies that I'm missing?

I use Blu-tack and stick the model to the lid of my spray paint can Watchmen02

Be careful with the primers and varnishes, if they are too thick, you will lose all detail on the model and they will look like a big blob of nothing.

Main paints/colours I use are either the Vallejo Game Color paints or Games Workshop ones.

My main pallete is:

a dark and lighter green (Emerald and Goblin)
black
off white/flesh, (elf flesh and bleached bone)
lighter and darker browns (scorched and bestial)
blues (hawk turquoise, ice blue, regal/ultramarine)
reds (scab and blood)
metallics (chainmail and boltgun)
washes (devlan mud, blue, black and red)

for an idea on the colours have a look here: GW Colours

What you don't know can eat you... Zombie01
02-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Yeah, for holding the mini in place I would use some poster tack, which you can find at a wal-mart or grocery store in the school supplies isle. As a starter you will have fun with the Americana paints but quickly realize that Vallejo or GW paints will give you a better finish (my opinion). I usually apply a grey brush on primer and then go on with my primary colors. For Zombies I use the grey for their skin and follow it with a wash (very diluted pigment) I go for natural earth colors for the zombies...browns and greens and go for bright colors when painting the Heroes. Start with one mini and post your results...we will gladly help you with a critique/positive influence
02-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Sticking it with that poster stuff works good. You can use a corck from a whinebottle to stick it to.
I don't even bother with that, I just hold them by the base.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Hi goodcop here's a clip from my three part guide.

'...mount your model(s) on something this can be an old paint pot or wine cork for a single model to a piece of thick card for a row of several. It's up to you when you start you could just paint the one or try several rows of figures assembly line style. The reason to paint the model mounted on something is so you have a good grip ensuring the figure isn't dropped and it's held steady for painting and that you aren't handling the figure. Rubbing off and smudging colours with your fingers as you go.'

For the full guide see here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ic-colours

+1 rep for joining in this cool hobby. Any miniature painter will tell you it's a rewarding (and addictive hobbby in itself!)

Any further questions please ask myself or the other guys. We've got your back bro!
02-23-2012, 10:56 PM
(02-23-2012 06:03 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Hi goodcop here's a clip from my three part guide.

'...mount your model(s) on something this can be an old paint pot or wine cork for a single model to a piece of thick card for a row of several. It's up to you when you start you could just paint the one or try several rows of figures assembly line style. The reason to paint the model mounted on something is so you have a good grip ensuring the figure isn't dropped and it's held steady for painting and that you aren't handling the figure. Rubbing off and smudging colours with your fingers as you go.'

For the full guide see here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ic-colours

+1 rep for joining in this cool hobby. Any miniature painter will tell you it's a rewarding (and addictive hobbby in itself!)

Any further questions please ask myself or the other guys. We've got your back bro!

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I picked up some new colors today including a flesh tone for the caucasian heroes and a pistachio mint that I think will make good zombie skin. I'm hoping to have some time tonight to make a test run on some cowboys and Indians my son has donated to the cause. Insane21
02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Make sure you give all the figures a good washing with some warm water and detergent before you put on the basecoat.

02-24-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012 06:29 AM by goodcop2000.)
Well I spent about 5 hours tonight painting my first minis - two cowboys and two Indians (the kind you find in a bag in a dollar store).

I'm pretty happy for a first attempt. The only thing that looks really bad is the clear varnish I put on at the end. Either I'm using the wrong kind or I used way too much or I'm supposed to thin it out or something because it just stuck to the figures in the crevasses and looks like crap now that it's dry.

The funny thing is that the figures look better in person because with the close up photography you can see all my mistakes! Watchmen02

I have to say that it was a fun and relaxing activity (at least after my kids stopped bouncing around on the couch behind me while I was trying to paint). I can definitely see how this could be a time-consuming hobby.

I'm having trouble getting all of the attachments to show up in this post (maybe there is a limit on number of attachments per post?) so these just show the original figures:

more pics on next post...
After trimming the mold lines and flash and putting on the primer:

painted versions in next post!

Hmmm, the editor seems to be appending all of my posts together anyway...

After painting:

Final shot of whole group with varnish and next to zombie for scale:

I just looked at the figures again and those pools of varnish are gone. I guess they evaporate? Or it was not completely dry and I jumped the gun.

Final varnished photos:

02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Nice first attempt.
Don't worry about the varnish pools, they go away. Just to make sure...don't go dipping them in a pot of varnish now ok? Watchmen02

Next up improve the details. When you take a closer look at the figures you will notice some grey coming true. Especialy one some of the sides and where things come together (shirt & hand)
Still, a nice first run mate!

Ps: jumping kids (I have to of my own)....the power of the ducktape.... Watchmen02

02-24-2012, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012 12:28 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Ok you got your feet wet,which is big step,the more you paint the more you'll improve.
To make your figs really POP try some highlights,basically on the raised areas use a lighter
shade of the same color.On the Cowboys jeans the raised creases could be a lighter blue.

Also work the details like the belt buckles,it's the small things that give the fig a finished look.

I put in about 20 minutes a night on fig painting it's a relaxing part of the hobby.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again: