Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
questions about paint color and mounting of figures
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012 02:50 PM by goodcop2000.)
RE: questions about paint color and mounting of figures
(02-24-2012 10:17 AM)Emp Wrote:  Nice first attempt.
Don't worry about the varnish pools, they go away. Just to make sure...don't go dipping them in a pot of varnish now ok? Watchmen02

Next up improve the details. When you take a closer look at the figures you will notice some grey coming true. Especialy one some of the sides and where things come together (shirt & hand)
Still, a nice first run mate!

Ps: jumping kids (I have to of my own)....the power of the ducktape.... Watchmen02

Thanks for the encouragement. I noticed the missing spots most on the primer step but I was worried that if I kept on adding primer to fill in every spot that it would layer up too thick and take away the details of the figures.

Those spots where things come together (as you mentioned) are frustrating! I would find myself painting for example some hair but it would encroach too far on the face. Then I would wait a few minutes and try to touch up the face but it would encroach on the hair. I did this back and forth several times on tough areas.

I tried to paint the Indians eyes 4 times before I got a result that, while not great, at least didn't look like the Indian was crossbred with an alien.
I don't know how in the world I could get a pupil in there, though. I think I would have to find an even thinner brush than the ones I'm using.

Zombie13
(02-24-2012 12:25 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Ok you got your feet wet,which is big step,the more you paint the more you'll improve.
To make your figs really POP try some highlights,basically on the raised areas use a lighter
shade of the same color.On the Cowboys jeans the raised creases could be a lighter blue.

Also work the details like the belt buckles,it's the small things that give the fig a finished look.

I put in about 20 minutes a night on fig painting it's a relaxing part of the hobby.

OD

Hey OD, thanks for the advice. By the way, your avatar freaks my kids out. They don't mind all the bloody zombies but the jack o'lantern gets them for some reason.

The highlight idea sounds cool. So when adding that lighter highlight I would intentionally brush just across the raised ridges, right?

I didn't even think about the belt buckle. I didn't have any reference photo so I was just creating a color scheme as I went. Some details are so small that I just didn't feel like I could hit it with the brush. The one Indian's shield had some other designs in addition to the x shape but they seemed to be too small to successfully detail them.

Another thing I learned last night was how difficult it is to layer some colors of paint over grey. For example the grey primer kept showing through the orange shirt on the cowboy until I had put about 4 layers of the paint on there. I know I read somewhere (maybe in samuraitrev's materials?) that some people use either a white primer or a black primer depending on whether they are painting bright or dark colors. It seems like a good idea.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2012, 06:32 PM
(02-24-2012 02:39 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  Those spots where things come together (as you mentioned) are frustrating! I would find myself painting for example some hair but it would encroach too far on the face. Then I would wait a few minutes and try to touch up the face but it would encroach on the hair. I did this back and forth several times on tough areas.
Zombie13

One good technique to help with the borders between areas is to "wash" the figure. This means get it as good as you can with your main color scheme, then paint a layer of a dark color (like very dark brown) that has been thinned quite a bit. The pigment will sink into those areas and provide a border of shadow that really adds to the depth of the figures. Do this right before highlighting, like OD suggested, and your figs will go from good to outstanding. I also do this for the eyes on my minis. Just let the darker pigment fill in the eye area, and it will give it a pretty natural looking shadow under the brow. I never have much luck trying to do whites/pupils in eyes.

SamuraiTrev has some good tutorials that include how to do washes and highlighting. He also shows how to purdy up the bases with some sand and such. This also adds a great deal to the final look. Great first attempt. I started with little green army men way back when; this is a great way to practice.
02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I can't add anything more then what OD en Vinkinglad.

In miniature painting they have realy realy realy thin brushes, like in numbers it's 0/10.

When you paint more you will find out that you can use the flow of the brush to get into those small areas. Just let the paint and brush do the work for you, don't just jam that tip in there. Treat the paint, brush and the figure like a woman Zombie17
Ok, pun intended here Watchmen02

It's also important to note that there are no good cheap brushes. They cost a little money but en you get quality hair and the tip of the brush stays sharp (if you look after it ok)

And it all comes down to practice and practice. Try the shading and highlighting. Instead of highlighting you can also to the drybrush technique.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2012, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012 10:43 PM by goodcop2000.)
(02-24-2012 06:32 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  One good technique to help with the borders between areas is to "wash" the figure....

Awesome, thanks! Now I'm excited to try another figure. Unfortunately while normal people start their weekend tonight, my work week starts so I probably won't be painting at all until the middle of next week.
(02-24-2012 06:54 PM)Emp Wrote:  ...In miniature painting they have realy realy realy thin brushes, like in numbers it's 0/10.

When you paint more you will find out that you can use the flow of the brush to get into those small areas. Just let the paint and brush do the work for you, don't just jam that tip in there. Treat the paint, brush and the figure like a woman Zombie17
Ok, pun intended here Watchmen02.

Thanks. I will look to buy a couple of the extra thin brushes for those detail areas.

By the way, I tried out your "treat the figure like a woman" method but it was a bit awkward. I rolled it over and slapped it on the rear but it just laid there. Zombie12

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
02-25-2012, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2012 02:05 AM by Old Dwarf.)
Can't wait for PJON to respond to that oneInsane10

I use Black undercoat it gives some instant shading and
I like the effect.White is great if your doing Elves but
it does IMO make the fig too bright looking.

Orange is just a strange color to get right,I painted
up some10 mm Warmaster Figs and tried Orange for Demons of
Gluttony for my "Hell Project" just could not get it to look good.
Finally used (GW)Dwarf Flesh with an orange wash & a light
Orange highlights.

I'm not sure where I found my Avatar?I usually use a
Drinking Dwarf but I wanted something more LNoE
Horror related for here.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again: