Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
rise of the zombies - review
06-04-2013, 04:08 PM
rise of the zombies - review
finally got a chance to play rise of the zombies last night.

after looking over the rules.. we did a mock walkthru with 1 player for a few minutes ( players 1-8 ).

started over as a 2 player game, full coop, cards on the tabli.

played the merc and the paramedic.

avoided any 'epic' cards due to difficulty.

just managed to finish in 75m alotted.

game makes you go thr weapons alot, asyou can essentially break a weapon/ discard it and do one final last burst of high damage.

problems arise with some of the large zombies. there are herds and mobs with like 12+ hitpoints.

most weapons do 0-1-2 damage. a few cards let you 'add' a point.. and a few RARE weapons kill on a roll of 7+ on a d6 ( Watchmen02 ) there are skill and modifyer cards to get a plus to a roll. those weapons are few and far between.

alsop a couple single use weapons like a propane tank and a moltov that do up to high damage . i saw plenty more large hit point zombies than i did those weapons.. meaning we were discarding all our weapons many times each turn to use them for their last attack.

overall looked good. need to play it again to know more.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 01:28 AM
RE: rise of the zombies - review
just got word from my gaming group and they want to play again tomorrow evening after work.

probably will have a 4-5 player game.. really test out the rules then.. Watchmen02
06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
ended up being a 3 player game.

I played the yacht capt so we could find location cards. another played the merc gun and +1 range, and another the historian, carries a katana, and reroll

we got 5 locations in and had a very unlucky spaw that brought out a bunch of attract zedsm and then the 6th location was a rough one. high infestation.. and lots of group / large herd, fast and blocking zombie scame out and.. high hitpoint suckers.. and stuck us there till we were pretty hurt. 2-3wounds each. got past ther and the next location got us.. we each died in order after 3 attack rolls.. as the last guy died.. the timer ran out.. almost to the second. thus we were able to see the rescue helicopter as it was the next location.... but bad zed draws 2x got us. Watchmen02
06-11-2013, 11:21 PM
played again this weekend.

4 player game. we got spread out. 2 players in helo, 1 on 7th card.. one on 6th card when timer ran out... had 2 zeds in helo.. players lost.

had we done a lil less table talk i think we'd have gotten it.
06-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Saw this one at one of my FLGS this weekend. Thought about getting it, but as I was already dropping $100 on another mat & a bomber for Wings of Glory + the expansion for Level 7 [Escape], I thought better. Still may give it a go at some point.
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
06-12-2013, 03:00 AM
thank you for your thorough report; I shall keep an eye out for it.

"with just a touch of my burning hand..."
06-12-2013, 01:21 PM
it's a good play and since it is a build your own path deal. no game is the same. sooo many cards in the player deck that i have not even seen allthe weapons and locations and items out in play .. so that's makes it stay fresh..
06-23-2013, 01:02 AM
anyone else playing this?

my group and I have played this a dozen times and are palying agian tomorrow.

we've developed some house rules. we like to spice games up.

anyone else doing this? i had been posting on another blog about this.. but it dried up and went away.. server issues maybee.

so anyone here playing? any house rules you using?